Bent/Warped Nakiri? Thoughts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s great information. Requesting a picture of the specific knife I intend to buy will be a request I send in the future for all similar international purchases.
I’m not familiar with the PayPal customer protection. Can you please elaborate since this may come up?
Since I’ve used this knife twice I’m sure that will make this even more interesting.
I’ll keep everyone up to date so there is a clear sequence of events.
Thanks again for all of the useful information.
(Edit: looks like I shouldn’t have a problem returning the knife even though I used it, per Watanabe’s website. Still wouldn’t mind hearing more about that PayPal customer protection)
Any updates from Shinichi?

Wait, I thought you were done buying knives after you got your ultimate Denka? :rolleyes:

@lemeneid Shinichi posted on his website that he's taking a 10-day vacation until November 29th, so I'm guessing no.
I'm considering selling my unicorns and useless knives and remaking my setup, when that happens, a nakiri is on top of my list.

Anyone know where you can buy one of those wooden blade straighteners, the thing with the notches in it?

I let Shinichi know I’d like to return the knife. I heard he’s out so I’m assuming there may be a delay in getting back to me.

I’d love a Toyama. I check JNS every so often. Any other place to get one?

I let Shinichi know I’d like to return the knife. I heard he’s out so I’m assuming there may be a delay in getting back to me.
There is term which I cannot recall which describes this type of thing. Another merchant described it as having charm. Perhaps you could ask to exchange it for one that has a great deal of lesser charm, instead of just returning it. It is a shame you received this in this condition.
Good luck
D

Relax guys, give Wata a chance to rectify this before bringing out the pitchforks.... he has given one answer, and ended the email openly and with the option to get back to him with more comments.
Maybe I am forgiving cause I have provided online costumer service before, and it can take an email or two to get stuff sorted, even if it appears obvious for the sending part.
It’s not like he told OP to go **** himself with his complaint.
Send some good pictures and explain the edge is warped and take it from there.... If it doesn’t work out and consensus is that this is not ok....then we know and and pull out the pitchforks...
Peace

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay, but here’s the most recent update. Watanabe responded once he got back from NYC. I sent him the new photos showing the issue with edge straightness. His response is below and I then told him that at this point I’d like to return the knife for a refund. His response to that is the second pic. I am now shipping the knife back to him and will provide an update when I hear back from him. Thanks again everyone for your help.

upload_2019-12-10_11-7-6.png

upload_2019-12-10_11-7-27.png

Don't see any problem with publishing his e-mails. They simply show his attention to customer service.

That’s unfortunate. I was trying not to be positive or negative towards Watanabe. My intention was to present the facts and get a better understanding from a larger sample size of people what the general consensus was as to what I should expect.
I figured attaching references would avoid a post where I’m saying, he said”..”. Since I think we all draw different conclusions from the same written words you would have to draw your conclusions from my perception of what he said in that case rather than seeing his words for yourself.
Sorry if anyone was offended.
Thanks again for everyone’s help in gaining a better understanding of this situation.

Well he's done better than many Japanese makers by offering a full refund or fix. I'm glad this was the outcome because I love his knives. Please keep us updated regarding what he says about the knife.

I see that my comment probably came off as way more harsh than I intended, and for that I apologize.
To be clear, it was meant more as a general statement about privacy concerns, and not as a criticism against any of the content in the communication between you and Watanabe.

Apologies again, and I'm really glad Watanabe is rectifying the situation and that you're getting either a fixed or a new knife.

not harsh at all, it has been intarwerbs etiquette since at least 2000 or so.
its on page 1 on the internet user handbook.
you can convey what was said in the emails. but simply posting them outright?? never done it. never will.

Unless i need to show them in a court case that is. or kangaroo court.

You guys made me take another look at my Watanabe nakri. I ditched a Shig and a Toyama when I bought the Watanabe. Frankly, I still think it was the right decision. The 180 is just the right size and weight for how I use a nakri.

Back