bikes bikes bikes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went back East to get my things. Three of my bikes were stolen, the Seven gravel grinder, Quirós custom single speed, and the blue drop bar townie...about $17k. Had them under lock and key in one of my friends buildings and the door of the storage was taken off the hinges. Thousands of dollars in mint tuna fishing gear, reels, rods, custom lures, TV’s, pro kitchen equipment, turntables and electronics are all untouched. Kinda relieved I developed a c’est la vie attitude recently or I’d be in jail or a hospital over this. F___! rant over

That totally blows. You'll probably never get the bikes back, but I hope that you at least get some kind of compensation from insurance.

titanium is forever... :) if youre lucky..

i also have 2 lynskeys. 1 is my rain/winter/snow commuter. its a cooper cx. and another one i lent to my dad, a procross 2018. with the helix and triangular tubes, for the bling.
I've owned 2 Lynskeys. A Cooper CX and my current Sportive framed gravel bike. Love their frames and such a deal when bought through their regular Ebay sales. I paid $650 for a disc ready version. Built the bike up with the top spec Enve CF and Campagnolo components. I'll post a pic later.

That is so very odd to me - Theo Wirth is about 5 miles away from me and I only know it as the place where some of my riding buddies take their fat bikes for a quick off-season ride if they don't have the time to go further afield. That they're hosting an international event is... yeah - odd. I never would have guessed.

Tuesday, March 17th is the date

Just went back East to get my things. Three of my bikes were stolen, the Seven gravel grinder, Quirós custom single speed, and the blue drop bar townie...about $17k. Had them under lock and key in one of my friends buildings and the door of the storage was taken off the hinges. Thousands of dollars in mint tuna fishing gear, reels, rods, custom lures, TV’s, pro kitchen equipment, turntables and electronics are all untouched. Kinda relieved I developed a c’est la vie attitude recently or I’d be in jail or a hospital over this. F___! rant over

That is awful, I hope you have good insurance. I've become increasingly paranoid about bike theft - no more garages or storage units, locked or not. I've also given up on the convenient and relative light but low protection bike locks when out for a ride with stops. I've had bikes stolen and it a very unpleasant experience.

That is awful, I hope you have good insurance. I've become increasingly paranoid about bike theft - no more garages or storage units, locked or not. I've also given up on the convenient and relative light but low protection bike locks when out for a ride with stops. I've had bikes stolen and it a very unpleasant experience.
I keep mine in the living room as a display piece.

i keep my bike in the garage. it is too dirty to bring into my home. i tried to bunny hop a huge horse butt-explosion on the trail. my success cannot be determined. this was this past weekend.

it is a 2005 carbon mtn bike. i worry less about it, because in the mtn world, my bike is ancient. Lumo, i am sorry for your losses. i hope your insurance company makes you whole. i should really cable my bike in my garage.

I've owned 2 Lynskeys. A Cooper CX and my current Sportive framed gravel bike. Love their frames and such a deal when bought through their regular Ebay sales. I paid $650 for a disc ready version. Built the bike up with the top spec Enve CF and Campagnolo components. I'll post a pic later.

i still have my cooper cx. its on cummuter duty. i got my frame for 50% off or similar from crc.
i got hit by a car on monday on my other commuter so i will have to ride on the cooper now for the rest of the winter.
the cooper was my first choice for this winter, even got new studded tires, but like 2 weeks in i got a flat, the gravel is too sharp here! (cheapass gravel)
I have not determined the damage on my other bike yet, it will have to wait a few days until can move again like a normal person. but it appears frame and fork is ok.

i still have my cooper cx. its on cummuter duty. i got my frame for 50% off or similar from crc.
i got hit by a car on monday on my other commuter so i will have to ride on the cooper now for the rest of the winter.
the cooper was my first choice for this winter, even got new studded tires, but like 2 weeks in i got a flat, the gravel is too sharp here! (cheapass gravel)
I have not determined the damage on my other bike yet, it will have to wait a few days until can move again like a normal person. but it appears frame and fork is ok.
Sorry to hear about your off. I don't ride on roads here in Texas. You'd need a death wish to do that. If the potholes don't get you, the inattentive, aggressive SUV driver's will.

its not the same here in scandinavia, we have lots of bike paths. but still you always have to be on top of things and never rely on anything except yourself. i can usually predict whats going to happen way before it happens. and you need to be able to do this if you want to stay alive.

but this time i guess i lost focus for a sec and then a see a car, and i realize i will definitely crash into this car unless it brakes immediately, and then it just kinda happened. i end up on the hood and then fly about about 3m infront of the car. luckily no broken bones. feel kinda sore though.

but in the end i know the risks and i am willing to take them. i regard commuting as any other extreme sport. sometimes you get hurt but most of the times you dont. training reduce the risks. i've been bike commuting since 2008. not gonna stop now.

I’ll play.

6-E3-D8-C54-38-ED-4-F7-A-95-D3-94-EF65061383.jpg
B6-CBF15-E-660-E-4-B40-96-D7-42667-E955488.jpg
273644-DE-4-A81-4-B1-C-B03-B-B896-A207-D584.jpg
30584-FA1-1245-49-B4-BB09-07-CB16441837.jpg
E9-AA4346-2-E48-48-AD-8-B8-A-1-AF393-A27981.jpg
178-AED69-D838-4-B6-A-B1-B5-26073038-E802.jpg
8-D7-D3257-E6-CD-4-E64-8-BF5-8-A050179-C5-A0.jpg

Some beautiful bikes, but I love the Kvale in particular. I follow Peacock Groove on IG and love the relationship that the two of them (seem to) have.

Kvale is an interesting guy. Genuinely a sweet old man but everything is very much his way or it’s wrong. Ha

I don’t think there’s a better builder/painter combo out there though.

Kvale is an interesting guy. Genuinely a sweet old man but everything is very much his way or it’s wrong. Ha

Ha - that's the impression that I get and the reason that he and Erik are such a fun odd couple trip - Erik is very out there, in comparison.

Ha - that's the impression that I get and the reason that he and Erik are such a fun odd couple trip - Erik is very out there, in comparison.

Yep. They share a large warehousing building.

Erik is very eccentric in his own right but go see him and he’ll chat you up for an hour about everything. There’s some Kvale in him and I’m sure Chris seen that in him and why he trained him. Erik is a wiz with a torch though. I brought him an early Eddy Merckx frame that I got for free when I purchased another bike. Had a cracked dropout and did a very quality quick fix. Had no issues with it riding for a few years. It’s down to the frame as I may get it refinished at some point.

I roll a Giant TCR as a commuter and have an Eddy Merckx team Scandium built yo with campy record for special occasions. By which I mean it gathers dust.

Love those road bikes. Cool to see so many here ride & even commute on bikes. Inferno glad you were not hurt when car hit you.

All the training rides for only race I did were cycle to the sun on Maui. Did it three years. Cracked up once was my fault even though car pulled in bike lane near intersection. Had a strong tailwind on the flats. Was pushing my biggest gear 53-12. Was flying down on the bars seeing how fast I could go. Car no signal pulled into bike lane pulled hard on the brakes but still hit him at speed. Broke my hand & went over the handle bars helmet saved me. When took it off my forehead was black & blue front of helmet was crushed.

i-NJVzVj6-L.jpg

I'll play...

Having sold my Collage C60 ... I know I won't get 'upgraditis" from this forever bike.

It rolls so very, very well.

Moots Vamoots CR. Made to measure titanium. ENVE 3.4 GenII. Campag SR mechanical. Understated, classical elegance. It's responsive and whilst it's not as aerodynamic as others ... the engine on this one isn't really going to care!

Agreed, I have a Kvale (plus one in temporary residence that I'm selling for a friend) and a Zeh along with some off the shelf bikes. Chris's work rivals or betters anything I've ever seen. The Murphy brothers (Columbine) frames are certainly more ornate if that is what you are looking for but I prefer the clean elegance of the Kvale frames. Mark Leonardson was another superb local painter but I don't think he has done any bike frames for 20 years +.

So how many knives do I have to sell to get a Kvale? Looks like right clearances. What tire size do you run on it?

Ha. I wouldn’t be completely opposed to moving it but it wouldn’t be cheap. It currently wears 23 Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SCs, you may be able squeeze some 25s but definitely no bigger. I haven’t tried as I love these tires and Veloflex Masters. It’s an 85 criterium bike though so it was built for speed with tight clearances.

Is he still making bikes? I could just go and get one from him.

Yes. I have one coming.

I would say if you ever thought about getting one, move quickly. He’s at the age where you never know when he’ll hang it up. Frankly, his prices are very reasonable in the custom world. Ask for disc brakes, carbon fork, etc and he might show you the door.

Not a surprising stance on a knife forum perhaps but I do agree that steel is real. I’ll have to check him out. I am in that area all the time.

Not a surprising stance on a knife forum perhaps but I do agree that steel is real. I’ll have to check him out. I am in that area all the time.

He’s pretty good about responding to emails. He is typically in town over the winter and parts of spring/fall and summers in the UP. You can check out his website for pricing.

I can barely comprehend the depth (and cost) of the bike realm. I’m struggling to justify spending $1k on a bike - though I probably will this year. New home has tons of paths/trails for a relatively urban area.

Tell your(self)/significant other it’s cheaper and healthier than cars/motorcycles!

Back