Black Pepper flakes on everything

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have another question. It seems as if every restaurant has visible black pepper flakes in or as a finish garnish on anything and almost everything.

Why? I only ask since my body does not tolerate it well. So, when did get to be so popular, and why on almost everything?

Interesting, as I have not encountered this myself.

As with things like butter boards, it's often the case of "We are going to do this because some other restaurant is doing it"

I do usually ask for none, but on some dishes I'd never think it would be there.

Pepper adds visual appeal, and most people enjoy the fragrance (if it’s decent pepper).

Not much one can do about it if one doesn’t like pepper, other than ask for it to be left out 🤷

I feel like this experience is heavily regional. If you don't mind me asking, do you live in the midwest or the south of the US? I can't say I've experienced this much out here in CA, although it sounds pretty aweful haha

You clearly don't know what you're asking for. We actually have that here and as a result a lot of stuff just tastes incredibly bland right now. Bread actually NEEDS salt. For me it's actually become difficult to get a proper salt intake at this point because everything you used to eat to get some salt doesn't have much of it anymore.
If you have a reason to actually worry about eating too much salt, just stop eating all the processed junk.

There is a trick I have long since learned about salt. Sea Salts, such as Bolivia Rose, and Peruvian Pink taste saltier than your run-of-the-mill table salt. To get the same taste you can use a whole lot less of it. These 2 salt do not do well in salt mills because of their moisture content. My source for Bolivian Rose is Salt Works. You can save a tremendous amount of money buying the bulk package.

https://seasalt.com/gourmet-salt/gourmet-salt-bulk-wholesale
Peruvian Pink varies widely in price so it pays to shop around for it.

Speaking of Black Pepper I have tried Black Peppers from all over the world, to me the very best comes from Vietnam.

A very good alternative to Black Pepper is Grains of Paradise. (Aframomum melegueta) It is related to the ginger plant. It comes from West Africa and was used in ancient Roman times. It has a black pepper taste with tropical fruit overtones.

Last edited:
You clearly don't know what you're asking for. We actually have that here and as a result a lot of stuff just tastes incredibly bland right now. Bread actually NEEDS salt. For me it's actually become difficult to get a proper salt intake at this point because everything you used to eat to get some salt doesn't have much of it anymore.
If you have a reason to actually worry about eating too much salt, just stop eating all the processed junk.
Everyone should worry about excessive sodium intake IMO based of the evidence I have looked at. Blood pressure is only one issue. Humans need maybe 500mg of sodium or less. 1000 to 1200 would be plenty. The notion that you would have a hard time getting enough sodium is quite suspect. That you would have a hard time getting a proper salt intake is not hard to believe at all since just about everyone is getting way more than needed. Bread may "need" salt but humans don't need bread.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-skeptics-try-to-shake-up-the-salt-debate/
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fewer-than-1-in-5000-meet-sodium-and-potassium-recommended-intakes/
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/salt-shakedown-how-and-why-you-should-eat-less-sodium
In another article from the Harvard Health Letter that I can't find right now they mention an estimate of pre-agricultural diets having a 16 to 1 ratio of potassium to sodium. Even if you cut that in half it would indicate eating a low sodium diet with very large quantities of plant food. The modern diet with high sodium, low potassium and low fiber is quite a diversion from a natural human diet. Large amounts of fiber and potassium are what it appears from evidence are what we "should" be doing. Too bad it not too much fun.

Last edited:
Back