Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
225mm work pony in 52100 + bok choi
FABB4474-90D0-44C1-96AB-9A6119F7FCDF.jpeg

Rehandled my Unshu Yukimitsu with a gorgeous koa wood handle. Idk what adhesive Kusunoki san used inside the old handle but that sh*t was nefarious. Hardest unhandling of my life.

It doesn't show up terribly well on camera but the koa just dances in the light. Moved my balance a bit forward from the ebony that was on there.

20231107_170349.jpg

20231107_170250.jpg

20231107_170446.jpg

Nice work inside the choil. What's your preferred method?
Depends how much grinding is needed. For this one, it required a decent amount so I use a dremel for rough shaping. I use the hard grinding bits and also some of the sanding bits.

Then after that, I go back and clean it up by hand. I use sandpaper progression 220, 400, 800, 1500, with a variety of backing materials depending on the area I need to get into.

Depends how much grinding is needed. For this one, it required a decent amount so I use a dremel for rough shaping. I use the hard grinding bits and also some of the sanding bits.

Then after that, I go back and clean it up by hand. I use sandpaper progression 220, 400, 800, 1500, with a variety of backing materials depending on the area I need to get into.

Thanks. I suspected a Dremel might come into play sometimes. Your work in the radius is always well rounded, smooth, and even.

Thanks. I suspected a Dremel might come into play sometimes. Your work in the radius is always well rounded, smooth, and even.
Dremel just speeds things up. But that also means it can mess things up with overgrind or stray scratches just as easily. The 220 grit sanding by hand is relatively quick to clean up and get things nice and round.

Dremel just speeds things up. But that also means it can mess things up with overgrind or stray scratches just as easily. The 220 grit sanding by hand is relatively quick to clean up and get things nice and round.

Oh yeah. With my hands these days, I'm very sparing in taking a Dremel to anything. I stick to files and sandpaper around a dowel for the choils.

Tostadas, I have purchased several of the Kagekiyo Chromax Santoku since I gave them to family members. I thought the fit and finish was excellent on the first one I got since the edges were somewhat softened. The three others I have bought were really well done, but only one had the edges softened. It is a great knife for the price.

Packing up knives for travel and storage with a couple of hours spent on prepping some brand new artisan-grade, friction-fit, VCI-lined sayas courtesy of the US postal service… 😂

IMG_8515.jpeg

IMG_8516.jpeg

Dalman x Birgersson 240 gyuto • silversteel warikomi

Bidinger ‘B-grind’ 240 gyuto • Magnacut mono • carbon fiber, micarta + copper western

TheNine 240 gyuto • blue 2 kurouchi

Markin 240 gyuto • FeCl₃ etched шх-15 mono

Yanick Puig 240 gyuto • wrought iron clad 135Cr3 kurouchi

Kamon 225 gyuto • 1.2519 denty kurouchi

M Hinoura 210 k-tip gyuto • blue super kurouchi

Gengetsu 210 gyuto • semi-stainless

Catcheside 195 • forged geometry c105

Kippington 260 gyuto • 52100 mono

Kippington 185 nakiri • 52100 mono

CCK 桑刀 KF1303 cleaver

Hitohira (Togashi) 240 sujihiki • white 1 stainless clad

Bazes 217 ‘petit chef’ • suminagashi-clad Takefu shiro 2