Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekend fun

PXL_20230318_221115872.jpg
PXL_20230319_000620767.jpg

Last edited:
How do you feel about this handle?
As the original owner I can give you my assessment.
Dominik is trying around regarding handles and this once came out like this. He asked if I was fine with it and I gave him the go but mentioned it should be around 30mm from choil to that ridge, it came out to 31mm.
Was still a bit sceptical since I'm quite particular regarding handles, I like Kamon's Western handles but they don't fit my hands. Was fine holding it for the first time and didn't notice it even working for more than one hour at work with it.
KDS was also surprised how comfortable it is and I have to agree. Told Dominik to put it in his repertoire.
Also like it with the rest of the blade and with the Chechen wood, comes out special but quite nicely aesthetially imo.

Not a pic… but a video of running through brioche for French toast since we ran out of sliced bread. Kono hd2 is what’s being used. Great work knife for this place since I can’t trust my coworkers with any of my really nice knives. That and space constraints make it hard to use fully reactive blades without getting cluttered with towels and everything

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    43.8 MB
Still wasn't quite happy with the f&f after yesterday's work. I went back today and refined it some more so that spine, choil, and new finger notch are perfectly transitioned to the blade face.

*I got lazy yesterday and didn't bother taping up the whole blade before starting, so there's some stray scuffs on the cladding. But this is gonna be for a friend, so I expect it to get plenty scuffed eventually anyways.

PXL_20230319_224552847.jpg
PXL_20230319_224527995.jpg
PXL_20230319_224626127.jpg

Last edited:
Still wasn't quite happy with the f&f after yesterday's work. I went back today and refined it some more so that spine, choil, and new finger notch are perfectly transitioned to the blade face.

*I got lazy yesterday and didn't bother taping up the whole blade before starting, so there's some stray scuffs on the cladding. But this is gonna be for a friend, so I expect it to get plenty scuffed eventually anyways.

View attachment 232208View attachment 232210View attachment 232209
I bet that feels very satisfying now.

Moning all. I'd love to show off a rectangle given the month, but my life's currently in boxes, so here's the last good photo of a knife I took: a Dikristo Gyuto from his Pro-line. Razor thin and it excels at the fine work. SS makes it practical for work, although I use it at home too. Love the sleek look too, the profile's different from anything else I have.

DSC00501.JPG

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone else using his stuf, he puts out some really adventurous stuff that isn't really my cup of tea but I can still completely respect.

The lady who brought this in will never know how tricky and bothersome it is to do a really good repair/restoration job on a single bevel knife. Nor appreciate the stone polishing progression I did on it after.

So I'm going to put it here, cos I'm feeling quite smug about the whole affair.

IMG-6034.jpg

IMG-6059.jpg

IMG-6074.jpg

IMG-6072.jpg

---

[Edit to include process...]

This went initially on a 120 belt, followed by a 400 ish grit horizontal wheel. Properly flattened the bevel on a King 300, then a polishing / sharpening run of; SG500, King 800, Natsuya, Uchi, Maruo Shiro Suita.

Last edited:
Really awesome work @cotedupy ! Would you mind editing the post to include names for the stones for the uninitiated? I see a SG, natsuya?, BBW, and maybe a suita of some kind?

Oh yes, sorry - amended now!

(Good eye on the SG, Natsuya and Suita , thought the penultimate one was Uchigumori rather than BBW.)

Back