Digital Meat Thermometer Recs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banzai_burrito

Reaction score
My digital meat thermometer finally gave out after years of good use. What are y'all's recommendations for a durable digital readout thermometer with either wireless probes or ones that are safe to leave in the oven?

Was looking at Meater and Thermoworks' Dot and Chef Alarm

Thanks!

We like Thermapen. We have a couple that my wife bought. They work well. One is a "leave in" and the other is manual.

Thermapen is Thermaworks.

Last edited:
I have been using a cheap Weber Grills one, and I calibrated it vs my friends Thermopen and it's within a degree or two! Home Cook though so only use it about once a month

OP is looking for wireless or something that uses probes. Thermapens are great, but they're neither wireless nor probey. The Dot is a great probe thermometer for the money. I'm holding out for the wireless thermometer coming out (hopefully soon) from Combustion Inc.

Another vote for the Dot. Great for leave in. The Signals unit is very good but a considerable step up in price - worth every penny if you do any grilling.

I haven’t used a thermoworks product besides the Thermapen but that one is the best so their leave in ones probably are too. Everyone keeps coming around with these Thermapen knockoffs but abandons them as soon as they use a real one.

A cheap option that I use for leaving probes in the oven: https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP...d=1&keywords=thermopro&qid=1624840084&sr=8-15
A Thermoworks product will probably work better or have nicer features (I have a Thermoworks Thermapen that I use for my instant read thermometer), but my cheap Thermopro leave-in thermometer has served me well so far. You have already gotten some good suggestions. I just thought that I would throw you a cheap option.

Might have spoke too soon...

My thermapen mk4 just stopped working after about 2 and a half years (I did try a new battery with no luck).
Only thermometer company with a tech support dept. a human will answer. My OG instant read is losing reliablilly.
I’ll buy the newer version soon.

for the OP, the Dot Is awesome.

A cheap option that I use for leaving probes in the oven: https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP...d=1&keywords=thermopro&qid=1624840084&sr=8-15
A Thermoworks product will probably work better or have nicer features (I have a Thermoworks Thermapen that I use for my instant read thermometer), but my cheap Thermopro leave-in thermometer has served me well so far. You have already gotten some good suggestions. I just thought that I would throw you a cheap option.
I have this one too. And the one by the same company that has the wireless monitor. I prefer this one too the wireless. I have cooked about a thousand pounds of chickens and pork with them over the past couple of months, no real complaints. I don't like the wireless one as much. The part the probes plug into has a really useless clip on it and the wireless monitor is similarly ergonomically stupid. If you clip it to your belt or stick it in your pocket then it's too easy to accidentally hit the buttons. And having to either leave it one place or carry it around in your hand as you do different tasks in the kitchen defeats the entire purpose of it being wireless.

I have a dot, and 2 different food network models, all work well, the dot is fairly new and the 2 others are over 10 years old and still kicking. All three are wired units, which I prefer at this time. Just got to check them now and then.

Cant you use the internet and email them? They couldn’t fix mine so they offered me a huge discount on another one.

I might try this.

I can't get to the place I bought it due to lockdowns and border restrictions.

@Nemo - Hmm, I'm interested to see what happens with ThermoWorks.

@boomchakabowwow - what happened to your Thermapen?

These issues pending, I would have personally recommended a ThermoWorks product if purchased when on sale. My Thermapen Mk4 has been useful so far, although the Thermapen One does seem to be something of an improvement.

Nemo, In the states, Thermoworks is very explicit about buying from other vendors instead of them direct vacating any warranty provisions. Hope it's different for you down under.

Should you want another I'd be happy to buy one here and ship it - though my last package to AU took a little bit longer than forever.

[USER=2507]@boomchakabowwow
- what happened to your Thermapen?

mine occasionally throws a wild temperature at me. i talked to a tech support guy and checked the temp of both ice water and boiling water. it was okay. but damnit if i didnt overcook a steak or two on several occasions.

they said it must be mis-reading. they told me my model was no longer in the catelog and offered me a 50% discount. like an idiot i bought the Dot thinking i could keep tampering with mine. nope. i'll buy another one. it's such a great great tool. i'll probably downgrade to the lesser expensive instant read. i dont eat steaks that often anymore.

when i called them, the nice lady said, "let me transfer you to tech support"
i was, "huh, what?"
"did you say something?"
"yea, you have a tech support department?"
"yes, we do. let me transfer you now"

i was blown away. try finding, OXO tech support. hahahah.

Nemo, In the states, Thermoworks is very explicit about buying from other vendors instead of them direct vacating any warranty provisions. Hope it's different for you down under.

Should you want another I'd be happy to buy one here and ship it - though my last package to AU took a little bit longer than forever.
Yeah, I think I'll ship it to the vendor in Melbourne.

Thanks for the offer of shipping a new one. I'll let you know if I don’t get any Joy with a local repair.

Back