favorite 270s?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.. I'm a bit new to the 270 game, and admittedly buying Sakai 270s is a bit like cheating. But I found it remarkable how close a wa handled Ashi 270 is to a Masamoto KS in size and profile. They're not 100% identical, but it's really really close.
And a lot cheaper...

So.. I'm a bit new to the 270 game, and admittedly buying Sakai 270s is a bit like cheating. But I found it remarkable how close a wa handled Ashi 270 is to a Masamoto KS in size and profile. They're not 100% identical, but it's really really close.
And a lot cheaper...
Yours is the wa handle version? They run short (260 or so) which I find nice.

And yeah, Ashi has great value IMO.

Yes, wa handle stainless Ginga 270 vs 'standard' white steel wa handle KS 240.
The Ginga 270 runs significantly short like you said... while the KS runs really long, so they sort of 'meet in the middle'.

Last edited:
Takada 270mm I had a few years ago was my fave Sakai “270” to date.
Currently use a TF mab 270mm which I adore.
Generally if I’m reaching for a 270mm gyuto I’m thinking tractor bulldozer sledgehammer prep beast sorta knife over precision instrument.
Old iron clad Wat 270 I had was just too blade heavy around 300 grams but the weight guaranteed it would just fall through all food with little effort. Sometimes I wonder if a stainless clad lighter Toyama version would be just right. Also had a Kato 270mm that I’d say the same about, just too beefy.
My ideal 270 would likely be a @MSicardCutlery workhorse or a shihan

How could I forget, Y Tanaka B1? But it's not really a 270...
Sakai 270’s are best 270’s size ;)

Love my Gesshin Ittetsu 270 (260) gyuto. 54mm tall, thin and bullnose shaped. The flattish profile and thin grind make it a push cutting, veg destroying machine. Very unique knife.

Love my Gesshin Ittetsu 270 (260) gyuto. 54mm tall, thin and bullnose shaped. The flattish profile and thin grind make it a push cutting, veg destroying machine. Very unique knife.

yeah I owned a few Ittetsus actually and I loved them. Shigehiro 270mm is an impressive gyuto if you want both workhorse and Sakai size combo.

yeah I owned a few Ittetsus actually and I loved them. Shigehiro 270mm is an impressive gyuto if you want both workhorse and Sakai size combo.
yeah your comments came up when I searched here for more information before buying it… I agree about the profile being unique, I love it.

I considered a 270 Shigehiro at some point, I had a 210 and really liked it. But I like the heel height on the Ittetsu and the Shigehiro is around 49-50. I might still grab one as they could be complementary.

Jiro #270 🙂

Both for looks and performance.

IMG_4153.jpeg
IMG_4155.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4161.jpeg

Man, keep posting that thing and I'm going to have to buy one. Really digging the profile.

Has anyone tried S. Tanaka ginsan 270? My 240 is actually 250 but it's a different, flatter profile than the K&S one. I prefer the taller/flatter profile of mine (Cook's Edge) but seems only K&S offers the 270

Mine
20230517_193633.jpg

K&S Tanaka ginsan
20230517_193546.jpg

Been debating picking up the 270 kochi someone posted on BST. Price seems great but I don’t know if I’d ever really use it.
The 270 suji I have doesn’t fit on my knife block (275mm MAX blade length seems to fit) so I’d hate to have something else just sitting in a drawer

I’m in a 270 phase right now it seems, so thought I’d add my favorites while looking for inspiration.

Toyama 270 iron clad might be hard to beat on the workhorse end of the spectrum. Migoto white 1 260 mm is a great midweight and my overall favorite so far. Just got a Jikko (Shiraki x Myojin?) from JNS and it’s a really nice knife as well.

Eyeing a few others but must resist.

270s are generally too big for me to use, but of the ones I've tried, Toyama and Tetsujin were the most enjoyable.

I've owned (and sold) quite a few 270s. The only true keeper is my trusty Toyama. 265gr. 59mm heel height. The grind is pure bliss.

20240207_200319.jpg

Second place of the ones I've owned was a Fuji FM (after I ditched the stock handle, which was ridiculously small for the knife, and replaced it with something more fitting). I sold it, but truly miss it.

I have an unhealthy number. Favorite? Impossible. I have increasingly gravitated towards convex workhorses in the 240-60 range and prefer thinner 270's. But then my old Kurouchi Wat Pro is unstoppable. These days, Masamoto KS and Ashi Ginga are favorites, but a svelte Toyama is beautiful, Kurosaki AS has a great profile, and my old Misono Dragon is an extension of my hand.

I just have 1. A Takada No Hamono 270mm Gyuto. It has a very flat profile and sits at 50-52mm in height. A very classic Sakai profile which has been pushed out by the desire for taller and taller knives. I actually love it. Makes it feel very nimble.
58E058E8-9C0A-449E-9B49-C24BE032EBC0.jpeg

It’s currently having its patina removed and polish freshened up. I like to do this before long-term storage to avoid any pitting. Gotta try some other knives 😁

What makes a 270 (or any size) knife feel shorter vs longer other than variation in edge length? Heel height? Profile? I have a 246 Kamon which I love. It doesn’t feel as long as I expected it to and actually feels more like a 225-235. I’m thinking of going bigger and trying a 260-270 knife (not necessarily a Kamon only because I don’t think I’d be able to find one), but also don’t want to overcorrect.

Back