First Knife Recommendation (200$ budget)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help everyone!

To sum things up, currently the 3 main options I'm considering are:
Suien 210/ 240mm VC Gyuto
Tsunehisa AS Kurouchi Gyuto 210/240mm
Ashi Hamono Ginga Swedish Stainless Steel Gyuto 210/240mm

With some advantage to the Suien, due to it being thicker and heavier, and from what i read, not a very reactive carbon. Any additional input would be welcome, and help me reach a decision.

I'd also like some help with choosing whetstones, if it's ok to ask here, instead of opening another thread:
What grit grades should I get?
Ans also, is it essential to buy something like JNS stones, or are there cheaper options that provide the same result?
Get that Suien 240 from Japanese Knife Imports and ask them to sharpen it for you.

Also, get a King 1200 stone, which I think is a great adorable choice if you're only getting one stone.

Never intended to limit my purchase to one stone, what other stone would you recommend?
I honestly think you'd be just fine with only one stone in the 1k to 2k range. Depends on how deep you want to go, though.

If you want a few stones, and your budget can handle it, pick up a few of the Gesshin stones - like the 1000 and 4000 - when you buy the Suien. The Gesshin 1k is about my favorite stone, but you'll definitely need a stone flattener if you get it, it dishes quickly.

If you're considering cheaper yo-handles you should probably also look at semi-stainless options like Carbonext and Kanehide TK... they're not that sexy, and not as thin behind the edge as some of the better knives... but they are incredibly practical and great starter knives.

I honestly think you'd be just fine with only one stone in the 1k to 2k range. Depends on how deep you want to go, though.

If you want a few stones, and your budget can handle it, pick up a few of the Gesshin stones - like the 1000 and 4000 - when you buy the Suien. The Gesshin 1k is about my favorite stone, but you'll definitely need a stone flattener if you get it, it dishes quickly.
Ok, so I think I'll keep it simple for now and get a 1-2k stone.

I’d personally advise to stick to 210mm. It’s the length you’re used to and I didn’t see nowhere here that you complained or longed for size in any way. You’ll be more at ease and improve faster which will be more rewarding and will combine nicely with the extra performance of a first J knife.

Since a left hander I recommend warmly Shigeki Tanaka. Midweight, most consistently symmetric grind I’ve seen over 4 iterations. Aogami #2 ss clad migaki finish are cheap abundant and solid place to start.

If I wanted to compress stones into a first buying kit, it’d be an Atoma, stone holder or bridge (need to think about where you’ll sharpen to make a wise decision) of some kind, SHapton Glass 500 double thick and Suehiro Ouka. SG500 is a bit expensive so you can always sub that for a Shapton Pro 1K.

I’d really advise SG500 instead of a 1K. It deburrs and polish like 1K but you’ll thank me when you’ll want to practice first with your generic SS knives too or just look to sharpen them.

Ouka because it’s so cheap and basically imitates a 2K range stone. Perfect for maintaining that good knife before a real sharpening. At which point you’ll thank me again for the SG500.

Many Japanese knives are right hand biased so be aware of that. Tsunehisa is one brand that typically sports a neutral grind.
Misono and Masahiro have both versions with an inverted geometry for left-handers, so the left side convexed, right one flatter, edge off-centered to the right. Main problem for left-handers using standard blades is in food sticking to the flat, left face. For the Misono, ask koki at kencrest.us. Mr Iwahara is very serious and helpful, and knows very well customs procedures abroad.

@rmrf

Thanks!

I'm currently using 210mm, and I never used anything bigger, so do you think it might be difficult to adjust to this size?

Also, not sure if it's ok to hijack this thread for another purpose, but if it is, I'd be glad for stones and cutting board recommendations.
Kind of confused with all the options.

It really depends on your kitchen counter space. A longer knife to me is easier to use for most home cook tasks. I really like a 240mm or longer and, you will see a huge number of recommendations for this size.

The longer it is, the easier it is on my wrist. With the tip on the board, the lift to cleave celery or whatever doesn't turn my wrist as much which makes it easier for me. Then there is cutting watermelons and cantaloupe where the longer knife sure is handy.

The 180mm and 210mm are best when you have small cutting boards and a tight kitchen with little counter space.

For someone like yourself, I tend to think a carbon steel is a bad choice due to maintenance requirements. A good modest stainless steel is pretty forgiving for things like an edge twist during a cut and a bit of neglect in cleaning at a family event where you may be distracted after prepping everything.

I would also encourage you to watch the 'for sale/classifieds' here to find a gently used knife that meets your needs. International shipping out of the USA takes a little extra paperwork that is ~5 minutes to fill out but, some sellers won't want to do that.

In terms of Waterstones, a dual-sided thick one will run you ~$30~50USD and is a great home cook option IMHO.

My Suehiro 1K/3K that is ~40mm thick was ~$30USD shipped from Japan off eBay. You can spend a lot more or less but, for a home cook that doesn't have much or any experience, something like this is a great way to figure out what you do and don't like before you spend your money. Get one of those ~$12USD stone holders with the rubber grabbers and the long screw threads. They make using a Waterstone much easier IMHO.

If you get the more expensive ones like Cerax, they will have a rubber pad to hold the stone so the $12USD holder isn't as important.

Back