Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People hunting for Weller when Makers barrel proof exists SMH

For what its worth I deeply regret finishing off my bottles of TH Handy & WL Weller a few years back. Still have a few pours of Bookers Rye left. Some of the best pours I've ever had have been purple top Willets.

Nah as a Bourbon collector here you go:

Shigs Kasumi - Eagle Rare 10
Shig Kitaeji - Weller Full Proof
Kato Kasumi - Blantons
Kato Ku- EH Taylor
Kamon - Elmer
River Jumps - Stagg
Konos - Weller Reserve
Hey, you know your bourbon, but we have different preferences. That Elmer TL doesn’t stir my loins like a Kamon does. More like Pappy 12 and up to me. Available if you are willing to be patient, and won’t disappoint. And a Kitaeji should be WLW, not Full Proof. Blanton-Kato? Probably not. 👍🏼
P.s Konos-Weller Reserve😂-That bad, really?

The only really good PVW for my palate is the 15. I'd much rather have another bottle of Bookers Rye or some of my favorite bookers batches through the years than a PVW 23, which I found an okay mess. And for all of them you can get something miles better in Calvados form for less money. Adrien Camut Rarete is in that same price bracket if not less and is mind meltingly delicious. Haunting. Once poured some for a guy who’s a huge scotch collector (like buying Macallan 50 type situation) and he said it was best thing he’s ever tasted

I think the important word there is palate. Some like it spicy and some like it smooth and mellow. Some like it fruity. So varied. I’m more into the Blue Run kind of sip lately and so I avoid higher proofs. And I agree. Lots of great bourbon outside of Buffalo Trace. Fruit brandy and high-end scotch are akin to going western from Japanese knives, for me. Limiting the collection to bourbon makes it manageable😜 But I’ll try some for sure!

Hey, you know your bourbon, but we have different preferences. That Elmer TL doesn’t stir my loins like a Kamon does. More like Pappy 12 and up to me. Available if you are willing to be patient, and won’t disappoint. And a Kitaeji should be WLW, not Full Proof. Blanton-Kato? Probably not. 👍🏼
P.s Konos-Weller Reserve😂-That bad, really?
It goes according to profit on flipping. Weller reserves typically attract 3X profit and as for Emler... it sucks but super low batches and gets 10X profit on resell market.

I don't understand bourbon flipping. How do you sell it? How do you even buy it from anything but your own state? I don't think I could do either from AZ, anyway.

Bourbon is not something I like, but I do like rye. I would have sold my bottle of Sazerac 18, seeing as how I paid $75 for it and it seems to be worth 4 figures, but I had no idea how to do that, so I've been drinking it. Oh, well.

I don't understand bourbon flipping. How do you sell it? How do you even buy it from anything but your own state? I don't think I could do either from AZ, anyway.

Bourbon is not something I like, but I do like rye. I would have sold my bottle of Sazerac 18, seeing as how I paid $75 for it and it seems to be worth 4 figures, but I had no idea how to do that, so I've been drinking it. Oh, well.
Just like here... there's a forum for everything lol

The only really good PVW for my palate is the 15. I'd much rather have another bottle of Bookers Rye or some of my favorite bookers batches through the years than a PVW 23, which I found an okay mess. And for all of them you can get something miles better in Calvados form for less money. Adrien Camut Rarete is in that same price bracket if not less and is mind meltingly delicious. Haunting. Once poured some for a guy who’s a huge scotch collector (like buying Macallan 50 type situation) and he said it was best thing he’s ever tasted
We just brought in a bottle of Macallan Black(?) at the hotel. Our cost was like $17000? What makes it so prestigious?

I once had an IB Macallan at cask strength and it was so, freaking, good. I’ll never forgive them for watering everything down to nothingness and charging a premium for the pain.

Idk how you taste anything at cask strength. I always have to add a bit of water to whisk(e)y.

Idk how you taste anything at cask strength. I always have to add a bit of water to whisk(e)y.
It mellows out with age.

I was lucky enough to try a 50 year old Glen Grant straight from the cask a few years ago and it was surprisingly friendly despite being >53% ABV.

I have always thought bourbon is easier to tackle at high proof than scotch though.

The good thing about high age bourbon compared to scotch is that there isn’t enough difference from the <20 year
Iterations to justify putting up the cash for them. But if you can get a Michters 25 at MSRP, (good luck) even at $1K, I would go for it. But not the 10k resell.

So....expensive scotch and bourbon makes you flip knives?.....🤔
I don’t flip anything, that’s the problem. I keep collecting stuff. I buy stuff sometimes due to FOMO and pray I can sell them someday down the road if I didn’t really like them. But I never do. And that folks is why I have a shelf full of unopened bourbon… and don’t get me started with sneakers…

As weird as it is to spend thousands of dollars on kitchen knives, I’ll never understand the whole sneaker thing.
If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars on some handmade shoes then I’m all for it. There are plenty of artesian makers for boots, oxfords, sneakers, etc… but mass manufactured shoes? From Nike? Nah I’m good.

Not that I’m shaming anyone. To each their own, but that’s my 2¢ :)

Most sneakerheads are averse to paying reseller prices for shoes. They try on drop day and if they miss, a little grief counseling and they move on. And they still have a lot of kicks. They join all the online and neighborhood raffles, cultivate relationships with plugs and stores. Sound familiar?

Last edited:
Most sneakerheads are averse to paying reseller prices for shoes. They try on drop day and if they miss, they move on. And they still have a lot of kicks. They join all the online and neighborhood raffles, cultivate relationships with plugs and stores. Sound familiar?
Pro tip: a sneaker can be used as a meat tenderizer, especially if you sharpen the sole.

Back