how do you guys cook your chestnuts ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0bz

Reaction score
i roasted chestnuts in the oven xed them but they arnt peeling easily
(I don't know where are they from if they are European or from the us or from china)

Mostly MUCH earlier in the season 😁 ....when they are in season I like to roast them in a dutch oven or on the BBQ, peeling is easy enough once they are cut prior to roasting. Or do you refer to peeled but not skinned pre-boiled chestnuts?

Mostly MUCH earlier in the season 😁 ....when they are in season I like to roast them in a dutch oven or on the BBQ, peeling is easy enough once they are cut prior to roasting. Or do you refer to peeled but not skinned pre-boiled chestnuts?
i am refering to chestnuts with their shell that have been soaked in water and xed then roasted in oven

I usually roast them on the BBQ or in a fire so probably in a very hot cast iron pot. Hot and fast, basically like how I roast my coffee.

I usually roast them on the BBQ or in a fire so probably in a very hot cast iron pot. Hot and fast, basically like how I roast my coffee.
have you ever had trouble peeling them
do you know what causes the problem to peel them ?

Peeling is difficult as the skin is quite hard after roasting, some peel much more easy than others but it should not be too difficult while they are warm...

peeling is the worst part of chestnuts. and it seems like luck. some batches are easy to peel, and others are almost impossible.
like garlic, i suspect it might have something to do with freshness (moisture content), but who knows.

Def depends on the batch how hard they are to peel. I've had better success recently with

1) parboiling them for a couple minutes before roasting.
2) making one long cut that wraps around the rounded part of the chestnut, instead of doing the traditional x.

Also, I'm a fan of soaking them in a sugar syrup after roasting. Prevents them from having that dry-mouth feel that they inevitably acquire when they're not right out of the oven.

Def depends on the batch how hard they are to peel. I've had better success recently with

1) parboiling them for a couple minutes before roasting.
2) making one long cut that wraps around the rounded part of the chestnut, instead of doing the traditional x.

Also, I'm a fan of soaking them in a sugar syrup after roasting. Prevents them from having that dry-mouth feel that they inevitably acquire when they're not right out of the oven.
boiling them sounds very interesting @ian i have never tried that for how long do you boil them i will try that next time i roast them?

Boiled are way easier to peel than roasted, although aren’t quite as intense. I got fed up peeling roasted so boil now and then pop the skins off.
Mont Blanc is such a good dessert

Cut the X on the round side not the flat one, and soak the chestnuts in very hot water for ten minutes before roasting.

It does vary with the batch, regardless. Sometimes, they are just hard to peel, no matter what you do. Rubbing the skins off by rolling/rubbing the chestnuts in a cloth can help. Easier than trying to get the skin off using your fingers.

i roasted chestnuts in the oven xed them but they arnt peeling easily
(I don't know where are they from if they are European or from the us or from china)

81CBFE7A-4BF2-4648-A612-000477F27285.jpeg

i cut an X into the raw nut and toss it into the oven. cast iron pan

honestly, i always get caught up in the season. once, i'm eating them, they are quite a lot of work. more work than the payoff for me. just my opinion.

Back