How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Yanagi 300
2. Sakimaru 240
3. Gyuto 240
4. Gyuto 210
5 Santoku 180
6 Bunka 165
7. Petty/ small suji 150
8 petty 135
9. More Yanagi 300
10. Deba 180
11. Pairing 90
12 suji 270
13. Beater knife 200
14. Carving knife 210

I didn't count my wife's knives 😄

107 knives? Good God. What are you going to do with all of those knives brother?? You can start a war with knives that much 😄

Do you make your own knives or sell them?
I just write about them and collect. I am about to start selling off many of them. If I'd gotten into the hobby sooner I really would have loved to try making them. I am a pretty good welder and metal fabricator so it would have been cool to hammer on some hot steel! Bit old for it now unfortunately.

I just write about them and collect. I am about to start selling off many of them. If I'd gotten into the hobby sooner I really would have loved to try making them. I am a pretty good welder and metal fabricator so it would have been cool to hammer on some hot steel! Bit old for it now unfortunately.
You can sell me back my Fujiyama Ginsan 😏.

Never taken full inventory before but here we go:

2 nakiri
1 gyuto + 1 beater
1 katsuo-bocho
1 nata
1 usuba
1 bone cleaver
1 double bevel deba
1 funayuki
2 takobiki (both poor condition)
4 yanagiba
11 deba 😬

Might have to sell a few soon haha

Buy & sold some of my knives .

1. 8 yanagiba
2. 1 single bevel deba
3. 1 double bevel deba
4. 5 gyuto
5. 2 petty
6. 2 sujihiki
7. 1 nakiri
8. 2 usuba/ 1 is kanto style
🙂🙂

I'm not a collector type so I try to keep my main knives under 10, currently 5 gyuto, 1 in order, 1 cleaver and 1 in order, 1 bunka and 1 nakiri.
Just curious on your definition of ‘collector’—it’s a term used a lot. Honest question. Do you base it on number of knives; objective; price point. I identify myself as a collector, owning more that a couple of knives beyond my kitchen requirements; knife price point doesn’t matter.

I told my GF how many knives some have and her question was "how do they store that many?"

I just started last year and have 7 with the 8th on the way at some point. Ordered it a while ago.

For me, if I can’t see them out on display, then I’m not going to buy more to stick in a drawer. These days I’m buying knives for their looks as objects of art as much as their performance.

So mine are all out on the counter on racks. Here’s all I have right now, with 3 customs coming later in the year. I’ll be selling a couple of these to make room, but I also have a 3rd empty rack ready too.
53447BB3-FCEE-44A1-96DF-5BD11D914B78.jpeg

I have 37 knives in my kitchen, which includes what I consider to be 17 quality knives, the rest are plastic handled parers, old beaters, and such. This doesn't include a box full o' Mercers that is stored with our camping gear.

The 17 prime:
Shiki Black Dragon - Gyuto 210mm
Takada - Nakiri 180 mm
"Forge to Table - bread 10"
Mazaki - Petty 90 mm
Sukenari (佑成) petty/suji 210mm
Ashi Hamono - Sujihiki 270mm
Goko - Honesuki 150mm
Yaxell YO-U - Petty 120mm
Hitohira - Bunka 180mm
Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka 210mm
Kagekiyo Gyuto 240mm
Akifusa 135mm petty
Akifusa 80mm petty
Yoshikane 210mm Gyuto
CCK 227mm cleaver 1103
Tetsujin Tanryusen Gyuto 240mm
Tetsujin Tanryusen Gyuto 210mm

Just curious on your definition of ‘collector’—it’s a term used a lot. Honest question. Do you base it on number of knives; objective; price point. I identify myself as a collector, owning more that a couple of knives beyond my kitchen requirements; knife price point doesn’t matter.
I would say base it on number of same brand unused unicorn knives, liked the Hattori KD - Full Set for example in the B/S/T.

So I went back to see what I'd originally posted to this thread. Interesting how things have remained somewhat constant as I'm now at 8 with 2 customs on order.
To be honest to me it's amazing people are able to stay consistent and keep their collection to close to single digit or low double digit of knives over time. I've only been in the hobby about 2 years and already close to 20 knives in my collection and vast majority are 240mm gyutos...

Edit: Maybe it's time to thin the herd but I have a terrible time deciding which ones needs to go. I really do love all of them.

not counting the multipack paring knives, bread knife, and the two vintage sabatiers i haven't figured out what to do with, looks like my running total is 24.

some of them are "duplicates" and live in a travel roll for when we go on trips where cooking is expected.

or that's what i tell myself to justify duplicate styles and sizes anyway.

To be honest to me it's amazing people are able to stay consistent and keep their collection to close to single digit or low double digit of knives over time. I've only been in the hobby about 2 years and already close to 20 knives in my collection and vast majority are 240mm gyutos...

Edit: Maybe it's time to thin the herd but I have a terrible time deciding which ones needs to go. I really do love all of them.

I have a pretty strict in/out policy. Knives are only bought with an expectation that something has to go (either the new knife beats the one on my rack and stays or it gets sold)

If you take a look at my thread in the knife gallery area you can see I'm pretty strict about that.

I would say base it on number of same brand unused unicorn knives, liked the Hattori KD - Full Set for example in the B/S/T.
That’s an interesting definition. I’ve know ‘collectors’ that focused on just Global and Shun. IMHO, they’re different stratas of collectors—price points is irrelevant.

On what makes a collector, does intent matter? I didn't set out to become a collector, but I'd have to admit that over time I've accumulated a collection of knives. The number seems excessive to many (hello, wife) and I certainly have redundancy in that I don't need the amount of gyutos I have or all the paring/petty. Believe it or not in a given month I use probably almost all of them at some point, even the crappy parers and old beaters.
I do have some old knives I'd like to sell, but they aren't expensive enough to justify shipping in my mind. I have unloaded a few in local BST boards.

On what makes a collector, does intent matter? I didn't set out to become a collector, but I'd have to admit that over time I've accumulated a collection of knives. The number seems excessive to many (hello, wife) and I certainly have redundancy in that I don't need the amount of gyutos I have or all the paring/petty. Believe it or not in a given month I use probably almost all of them at some point, even the crappy parers and old beaters.
I do have some old knives I'd like to sell, but they aren't expensive enough to justify shipping in my mind. I have unloaded a few in local BST boards.
I think intent can matter. Someone can just have one gyuto (kato), a petty (shig) and suji (smide) and identify themself as a collector—they’re different gateways to collecting.
My personal intent/objective collect kitchen knives started with my first J-knife—a hobby perhaps influenced by my work, which iis selling to collectors.

Last edited:
For me, if I can’t see them out on display, then I’m not going to buy more to stick in a drawer. These days I’m buying knives for their looks as objects of art as much as their performance.

So mine are all out on the counter on racks. Here’s all I have right now, with 3 customs coming later in the year. I’ll be selling a couple of these to make room, but I also have a 3rd empty rack ready too.
View attachment 186927
I agree with you and well i have plenty of room for magnetic strips above my espresso setup but may need a ladder then at some point. If not my office has a lot of room on the wall and needs decorations anyway.

Back