In defense of the electric hob

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read NYC's electricity is made using 85% fossil fuel. So, why don't they work on that instead of limiting gas to buildings.
Lots of reasons to do anything you can both incrementally and fundamentally to reduce greenhouse emissions. I dont want to veer too political in this thread but I support all initiatives both municipal and personal to make improvements both large and small.

@coxhaus We get a fair amount from nuclear and hydro as well. Niagara Falls is not just for honeymooners.

QUICK FACTS
  • New York revised its Clean Energy Standard in 2019 to require 100% carbon-free electricity from both renewable sources and nuclear energy by 2040. In 2020, renewable sources and nuclear power, together, supplied 60% of New York's in-state generation from utility-scale and small-scale facilities.
  • Nuclear power accounted for 29% of New York's utility-scale net generation in 2020, down from 34% in 2019 because of the retirement of one reactor. A second reactor retired in 2021, completing the closure of Indian Point, one of the state's four nuclear power plants.
  • In 2020, New York accounted for 11% of U.S. hydroelectricity net generation, and the state was the third-largest producer of hydroelectricity in the nation, after Washington and Oregon.
  • In 2019, New York was the sixth-largest natural gas consumer among the states. New York's natural gas consumption per capita was less than in almost three-fourths of the states even though three in five households use natural gas for home heating.
  • In 2019, New York was the fifth-largest consumer of petroleum among the states, but New Yorkers consume less petroleum per capita than residents of any other state in the nation.

I've finally (and unfortunately) found an advantage that coil ranges have over induction. Pyrex cookware doesn't work on induction and my favorite double boiler, which was my grandmother's, is Pyrex.

:(

those are nice. i have a whole set of pyrex cookware. induction's nice enough to let it go, though..

Don't people test their gas pipe couplings with a leak detector? I can't believe that many couplings are leaking from their pipes. It seems like their house would burn down.

No way I am giving up my gas stove. I love it.

Spent 3 weeks over the holidays cooking on my parent’s electric—I prefer gas—quickly got used to it, adjusted to it, didn’t hamper my cooking in the least.

In the end, doesn’t matter to me if it’s gas or electric.

Bracing myself for the NYC ban on gas stoves: “New York City will ban gas-powered heaters, stoves and water boilers in all new buildings, a move that will significantly affect real estate development and construction in the nation's largest city and could influence how cities around the world seek to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, which drives climate change.” —-NYTimes
Vintage-kitchen-appliances-from-1961-Frigidaire-Flair-pull-out-range-stove-and-ovens-with-glas...jpg

Last edited:
Spent 3 weeks over the holidays cooking on my parent’s electric—I prefer gas—quickly got used to it, adjusted to it, didn’t hamper my cooking in the least.

In the end, doesn’t matter to me if it’s gas or electric.

Bracing myself for the NYC ban on gas stoves: “New York City will ban gas-powered heaters, stoves and water boilers in all new buildings, a move that will significantly affect real estate development and construction in the nation's largest city and could influence how cities around the world seek to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, which drives climate change.” —-NYTimes
View attachment 162919
This would actually do WONDERS in my house. Someone call Westinghouse to modernize it.

This would actually do WONDERS in my house. Someone call Westinghouse to modernize it.
TBH, it looks really cool, love to cook with it for kicks—a fantastic example of mid-century modern appliances, I'm a fan of stuff from that time period. Sadly, I'd destroy that oven in no time at all.

I have replaced both my gas valves in my Viking gas range. They are heavy expensive valves which default to not working. I really doubt they leak. Nothing is picked up with a leak detector. So which stoves are leaking methane? Cheap Chinese stoves?

The other thing I do is light my burners with a long nose lighter. They light instantly using a lighter. It just seems easier to me. If you spill food on the ignitors then sometimes, they do not work until all the food burns off.

I have replaced both my gas valves in my Viking gas range. They are heavy expensive valves which default to not working. I really doubt they leak. Nothing is picked up with a leak detector. So which stoves are leaking methane? Cheap Chinese stoves?

The other thing I do is light my burners with a long nose lighter. They light instantly using a lighter. It just seems easier to me. If you spill food on the ignitors then sometimes, they do not work until all the food burns off.

I can't remember if it was in that article specifically because I have been reading a lot about this kind of thing lately. But this study didn't try to figure that out precisely. But they also said that some methane escapes unburned any time there is a flame. So for instance the pilot lights. And when in operation. It also said that gas ovens are really bad at releasing methane as they cycle on an off while you are using them. That's even if all your connections are perfect.

I can't remember if it was in that article specifically because I have been reading a lot about this kind of thing lately. But this study didn't try to figure that out precisely. But they also said that some methane escapes unburned any time there is a flame. So for instance the pilot lights. And when in operation. It also said that gas ovens are really bad at releasing methane as they cycle on an off while you are using them. That's even if all your connections are perfect.
And irrelevant to how new your unit is or how fancy a brand you bought. It's just the way the natural gas works.

Where do you get a leak detector? All I've ever had were cheap gas stoves—probably made in China—cooking with whatever came with the apartment.

Start lightening your burners with a lighter. After while it will become second nature and you will do it automatically without thinking about it.

The leak detectors are an electronic device. My buddy has one. I assume you buy them at Home Depot. I will try to remember to ask him.

Start lightening your burners with a lighter. After while it will become second nature and you will do it automatically without thinking about it.

The leak detectors are an electronic device. My buddy has one. I assume you buy them at Home Depot. I will try to remember to ask him.
There’s just got to be lost gas. You turn it on, you ignite it. If you use a long nose lighter, that thing leaks, then you’re disposing plastic and some unburnt fuel in the lighter. But some gas still escapes.

but let’s assume the vast majority of the population uses the igniter. There’s gas that leaks before it catches. Sometimes a lot, those things are always misfiring. I think the study is trying to point out that this is more significant than heretofore assumed.

ps, Im not trying to attack you, in fact I’m with you. I don’t like igniters. I keep this right next to my stove, they last for years. Best compromise. I’m just pointing out the clear places that waste almost has to occur
image.jpg

Igniters take too long to light. Before I turn on the gas my lighter is burning with a flame before I turn on the gas. The gas blows into the flame.

Igniters take too long to light. Before I turn on the gas my lighter is burning with a flame before I turn on the gas. The gas blows into the flame.

And as the flame burns a not insignificant amount of methane escapes unburned into your living quarters. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer gas even with this new research. If the city didn't want 10k to run the gas line.

All this talk about gas vs. Electric, when are we going to have the real conversation and revive the wood stove?

When I was a kid, I lived on a cattle ranch with my oldest sister for a couple years. We had an electric stove and a massive beautiful 1800's wood stove/oven (multi drawers etc.). We did 90% of our cooking on that stove and it was awesome. You had to learn how to fire it and how to maximize all the zones from the top to the warming drawers. We used wood heat so the wood was plentiful and had to be chopped anyway.

From bacon and eggs to get started for the morning to full blown holiday meals, we (mostly my sis but I used it a lot too) did it on that stove.

I went from electric coils, to gas, to induction. I really enjoyed gas and greatly enjoyed it over coils. However, now that I have induction and have gotten used to it, plus all the new cookware, I would not go back to either gas or coils.

The only thing in my house that uses gas now is my boiler. It heats the whole house plus our domestic hot water. It is a high efficiency unit, so it is vented 100% to the outside. No gas smell ever.

As someone that has worked with a purely wood fired grill at work, HELL NO!!
I mean, the flavor was great. But sssoooo much work. Every 20-30 minutes or so, reach into the pit of hell with some logs. But make sure you move the food from just over where you're putting the wood first. Or where the smoke goes because the vent hood is wider than the grill so it flows up at an angle. And the pops! 😬

I mean, the flavor was great. But sssoooo much work. Every 20-30 minutes or so, reach into the pit of hell with some logs. But make sure you move the food from just over where you're putting the wood first. Or where the smoke goes because the vent hood is wider than the grill so it flows up at an angle. And the pops! 😬

We were just broke and the wood was free. :)

Back