Japanese kitchen knives with the right quality/price ratio.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odissea/1978

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm starting to get interested in Japanese kitchen knives recently. I deduce that they are of daily use in Japanese homes, in the same way I imagine that there are lines of knives that are within everyone's reach, not necessarily super handcrafted products that cost a fortune. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I would like to learn to sharpen with cheap pieces.
thank you all :)

Depending how you define cheap, maybe a knife from the Tosa region (Zakuri, Tosa Tadayoshi, among others) or perhaps one of the many offerings at Knife Japan (email them for assistance and Michael will steer you right). Most or all of these have a hand crafted component but definitely on the low end of the price spectrum for hand made.

Depending how you define cheap, maybe a knife from the Tosa region (Zakuri, Tosa Tadayoshi, among others) or perhaps one of the many offerings at Knife Japan (email them for assistance and Michael will steer you right). Most or all of these have a hand crafted component but definitely on the low end of the price spectrum for hand made.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to write to him and see what he recommends.

I’d check KnifeJapan for some quality and cheaper pieces, tho most knives you found in common Japanese households are not going to be better than an average western household, most likely cheap stainless Santoku or Nakiri from supermarket.

If you're just looking for something cheap to sharpen, and considering you're in Europe, I'd see if you can source one of the cheaper 16,5 cm Robert Herder santokus, preferably in carbon steel. Should not only give you something that's really easy to sharpen, but that also comes really nice and thin behind the edge.

Thank you all for the replies, you are very kind, I looked for Tosa knives and I will buy them by direct purchase from Japan at a very affordable price.

If you're open to a Western handle: had a 210 gyuto, Kanetsune KC702, with French Amazon, for €60, VAT included. Excellent unknown carbon steel, very comfortable handle, unsharpened, so you will need the usage of a 320 stone.

If you're open to a Western handle: had a 210 gyuto, Kanetsune KC702, with French Amazon, for €60, VAT included. Excellent unknown carbon steel, very comfortable handle, unsharpened, so you will need the usage of a 320 stone.
Thanks for your offert! Im looking for wa handle.

Back