Japanese Knife Tier List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infrared

Reaction score
Edit: Basically a list of knives I've used, ranked from best to worse. I figured it would be better this way than having separate posts for each knife. Easier to compare them this way as well.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful. More information in the next post.

[S Tier]
Okubo Kajiya Blue #2 Migaki
Kuwabara White #2
Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1

[A Tier]
Kaji-bei White #2
Nojiyama Marunaka Blue #2 Kurouchi
Mikami Hamono Blue #1
Yuta Katayama VG10 "Diamond" Damascus
Murata Buho Blue #1
Yu Kurosaki Shizuku R2/SG2
Takamura R2/SG2
Toyama Noborikoi Blue #2 Stainless Clad
Munetoshi White #2 Kurouchi Nashiji
Moritaka Blue Super
Nakamura Hamono HAP40

[B Tier]
Masutani VG10 Damascus
Nishida White #1 Polished
Fukushima Blue #2
Matsubara Hamono White #1
Muneishi Blue #2 Kurouchi
Motokyuichi White #2
Kanjo HAP40 (Western handle)
Minamoto no Masakane (Unknown Carbon Steel)
Fukamizu Hamono Silver #3

[C Tier]
Yoshikazu Tanaka White #2 Migaki (Sharpener: Ajioka)
Karaku Blue #1
Takeda Classic Blue Super

[D Tier (Probably need thinning)]
Fujiwara Maboroshi White #1 Stainless Clad
Saji Blue #2 Rainbow Damascus (Stag Horn Handle)

[Uranked]
Takagi Blue #1 Abura Honyaki (Extremely thick, virtually unusable)
Takahashi Kajiya White #2 (Very thick tip, B tier otherwise)
Yoshimi SG2 Black Damascus (Too much friction, unusable)
Anryu Blue #2 Stainless Clad Hammered (Inconsistent results)

Last edited:
- Pretty simple. The higher on the list, the better the knife.
- There are a lot more knives that I've used and some still new laying around. I'll add them to the list as I use them.
- Main characteristics I'm looking at are cutting performance, cutting feel, edge retention, and sharpening. Performance is by far the most important.
- I Use each knife a minimum of two weeks (daily), usually more.
- I left out the shapes and sizes because it would've cluttered the list.
- I have these knives all over the place, so it might take a while to find them and answer any specific questions.
- Double bevel, all purpose knives only (nakiri, santoku, gyuto, etc.), with few exceptions
- Feel free to ask any questions.
- For now no videos or photos. Maybe down the line?
- I'm sure I've made some mistakes or left things out. Please point them out and I'll be happy to fix it.
- Suggestions to improve the list are welcome.

Last edited:

Basically a list of knives I've used, ranked from best to worse. I figured it would be better this way than having separate posts for each knife. Easier to compare them this way as well.

I deliberately left out a a lot of detailed information on each knife to keep the list easier to read and to keep the topic more engaging.

Maybe not as a good of an idea as I thought?

Basically a list of knives I've used, ranked from best to worse. I figured it would be better this way than having separate posts for each knife. Easier to compare them this way as well.

I deliberately left out a a lot of detailed information on each knife to keep the list easier to read and to keep the topic more engaging.

Maybe not as a good of an idea as I thought?
I appreciate the intention and effort buddy. But for a whole bunch of reasons I think there could be better ways to do this.

I think everyone has his own definition of "good", it's like someone may rate top sharpness as most important, for others it could be edge retention, ease of sharpening, grind etc etc.

Not to mention hand made stuff are known for their inconsistencies, especially for certain makers. It's hard to rate a maker's work from using just one knife really...

Last edited:
I appreciate the intention and effort buddy. But for a whole bunch of reasons I think there could be better ways to do this.

I think everyone has his own definition of "good", it's like someone may rate top sharpness as most important, for others it could be edge retention, ease of sharpening, grind etc etc.

Not to mention hand made stuff are known for their inconsistencies, especially for certain makers. It's hard to rate a maker's work from using just one knife really...
Take me for example - I am fortunate enough to have tried "quite a few" makers from your list. For me, TF white 1 is definitely in S Tier, or even a tier above that. But you list it in D tier. And for me, Okubo is definitely not in the top tier. But does this make me wrong? Perhaps it just means we have different preferences.... or maybe you just happen to have used a TF lemon, right?

Good point. Some posters like @refcast seem to really lean into the sharpening and edge taking aspect of the steel. I'm mainly interested in how a knife cuts through food.

True, but that would apply to this entire forum. I used to have the same mindset and would buy multiple knives from each maker, but in my experience most knives are about the same regardless of size or shape (some exceptions of course).

For me, TF white 1 is definitely in S Tier, or even a tier above that.
What do you like about it?
I have two of them. Both are very lacking in cutting. The steel is very glassy feeling when sharpening, but the edge retention seems average.

There are a surprising number of ranking posts/threads that pop up here. It’s just never apples to apples. I think it’s fun to make some mental notes. I’ve read through some personal review / collection threads that are interesting. I would maybe challenge you to start your own in that section of the forum. Keep track of your thoughts and where you’d rank things. There are so many knives… so many examples from different makers. Lots of different ways to put an edge on them or finish their geometry. Better to appreciate for what they are vs. compare in most cases unless you have some specific in mind. Interesting to read your thoughts though! I don’t think I have a single knife on your list!

PS - current favorite collection thread with a lot of good feedback and subtle/implied rankings (at times) goes to @esoo

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-collection.47598/

Last edited:
My problem with making tier lists like this is that it's very much a personal preference thing.

So for example I lean towards lighter knives that are monosteel and lean towards laserish. But does that male them objectively better than a workhorse sanmai knife? Someone else might entirely prefer the latter. Neither of us is necessarily wrong.

Saying which of your knives you like more or less is still not really useful if you don't mention the why - both for yourself and others.

Every knife is a compromise. Below a certain number of labour hours (cost), they can all be improved. After that point, they are just different from each other, not better or worse.
This! I often feel this is the problem with this addiction hobby is that I am searching for something that doesn’t exist: a better knife.

This! I often feel this is the problem with this addiction hobby is that I am searching for something that doesn’t exist: a better knife.

There are knives that are "better", but it depends upon what they are better at. An s-grind will be better at slicing mushrooms but wedge in a sweet potato, while a laser will be better at sweet potato but mushrooms will stick.

It's all in the compromise.

There are knives that are "better", but it depends upon what they are better at. An s-grind will be better at slicing mushrooms but wedge in a sweet potato, while a laser will be better at sweet potato but mushrooms will stick.

It's all in the compromise.
Of course, but I’m talking about my favorite style, the “best” is probably already in my knife rack.

Surprised to see the kurosaki so high up on the list, have you ever tried the newer lines, i.e the stamped ones instead of forged ones, do you think the performance will measure up to the shizuku? Quite like the look on the senko

Surprised to see the kurosaki so high up on the list, have you ever tried the newer lines, i.e the stamped ones instead of forged ones, do you think the performance will measure up to the shizuku? Quite like the look on the senko
The Shizuku manages to minimize the suctioning effect on potatoes while still being thin enough to easily cut through denser product like carrots.

I haven't tried the Senko, but it seems to be thinner and lighter than the Shizuku. That might hurt its performance on potatoes. Impossible to know unless you actually use it.

You can currently get a Shizuku santoku for 30% off at this website.
https://realsharpknife.com/products/yu-kurosaki-r2-shizuku-170mm-santoku-custom-1
Use code RSK30. A steal at that price point.

Just realized you're from the UK so it might not be a good deal for you.

Takeda that low? Sheesh. Love mine.
Ouch. I feel this. I also feel all of mine jamming in hard stuff. There’s a time and a place for Takeda I find, and when it works, it’s perfect. Got another on the way 🤣.

I like the subjective ranking lists. It provides depth and insight into peoples’ preferences.

The Shizuku manages to minimize the suctioning effect on potatoes while still being thin enough to easily cut through denser product like carrots.

I haven't tried the Senko, but it seems to be thinner and lighter than the Shizuku. That might hurt its performance on potatoes. Impossible to know unless you actually use it.

You can currently get a Shizuku santoku for 30% off at this website.
https://realsharpknife.com/products/yu-kurosaki-r2-shizuku-170mm-santoku-custom-1
Use code RSK30. A steal at that price point.

Just realized you're from the UK so it might not be a good deal for you.
Thanks for the rec.

The choil shot doesn't look like a hollow grind (I was told the senko is). Does your shizuku have a hollow grind or flat?

Thanks for the rec.

The choil shot doesn't look like a hollow grind (I was told the senko is). Does your shizuku have a hollow grind or flat?
The Shizuku has a slight hollow grind. Not as concave as other knives from the area.

- Pretty simple. The higher on the list, the better the knife.
- There are a lot more knives that I've used and some still new laying around. I'll add them to the list as I use them.
- Main characteristics I'm looking at are cutting performance, cutting feel, edge retention, and sharpening. Performance is by far the most important.
- I Use each knife a minimum of two weeks (daily), usually more.
- I left out the shapes and sizes because it would've cluttered the list.
- I have these knives all over the place, so it might take a while to find them and answer any specific questions.
- Double bevel, all purpose knives only (nakiri, santoku, gyuto, etc.), with few exceptions
- Feel free to ask any questions.
- For now no videos or photos. Maybe down the line?
- I'm sure I've made some mistakes or left things out. Please point them out and I'll be happy to fix it.
- Suggestions to improve the list are welcome.

Cheers for posting your list!
Personally I'd find it difficult doing a top to bottom list/ranking of my knives—they're from different price points, all have strengths and weaknesses.
Easier for my to place my knives within a matrix similar to the one below that NYMag runs weekly—with polar opposites of Highbrow/Lowbrow and Despicable/Brilliant.
640d4713156fe86f3bad64b6889eb791--july--matrix.jpg

Cheers for posting your list!
Personally I'd find it difficult doing a top to bottom list/ranking of my knives—they're from different price points, all have strengths and weaknesses.
Easier for my to place my knives within a matrix similar to the one below that NYMag runs weekly—with polar opposites of Highbrow/Lowbrow and Despicable/Brilliant.
Interesting style. Every ranking/listing system has weaknesses. My tier list is no exception. For example, how do I rank a knife that is great at cutting everything except for an ingredient or two {usually carrots}? Sub rankings could help with that (best carrot cutter, best for potatoes, etc.).

First time doing something like this, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back