Kasumi on monosteel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
Hey.

I have this masakane monosteel petty. Im wondering if I can put on a kasumi finish on it with uchi fingerstones. I know there won't be any contrast, but is it possible to make a kasumi finish on it?

Ahh sharpened already. Doing it for a friend. He wanted the patina left after all but thanks

Love those old Masakane... you can definitely play with the polish on monosteel knives in different ways.

I have a 180 Masakane gyuto that I'm planning on thinning a bit and then polishing the first 10mm or so up to 2-3k on the stones. Then sandpaper the rest of the blade face up to 600 grit parallel to the edge, removing the vertical grind marks. The end result should look a bit like Goko Kogetsu gyutos, but with a finer finish on the blade face (photo from Strata).

1693187075310.png

I mean sure, it's totally possible. Going to be a serious nightmare getting there though. Polishing that much hardened steel is a ton of work. Soft and slightly coarser suita / tomae / akapin will be your friends if you go that route.

I'd recommend doing a nice hand sanded 800 grit hairline finish and then using stone powder to make it a bit softer looking instead of chasing kasumi in this application.

Soft and slightly coarser suita / tomae / akapin will be your friends if you go that route.
This is something I'm looking for right now - good Jnats to polish double bevel knives with convex bevels (not wide bevels). Not only monosteels, but also something like Toyama (migaki version, not the KU).

I guess softer stones are the key? I'm not planning on going super fine, just a nice working finish (Natsuya level).

This is something I'm looking for right now - good Jnats to polish double bevel knives with convex bevels (not wide bevels). Not only monosteels, but also something like Toyama (migaki version, not the KU).

I guess softer stones are the key? I'm not planning on going super fine, just a nice working finish (Natsuya level).
Soft help with blending it all together for sure, but the real key is getting the geometry right which is a serious endeavor

Back