KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad idea. I'm fine with my main beams but wish the fog lights on my OR cast a bit more peripheral light. Did you go yellow or white?

Yellow.

They make a backup light for your receiver hitch that's worth having as well.

Why count if the counter does the counting?

Heresy! Cuff him Michi!

Last edited:
Most places today is just another Tuesday but down in the bayou it’s a very special day. Happy Mardi Gras ya’ll!!

5CBDA5B0-FCC4-48F9-AB4D-5B6088E71DC0.jpeg

Yeah LEDs. I don't even like them when I'm driving a rental with them. They're bright, but whitewash everything and make depth perception a little funky when off-reading at night. I'm happy my tacoma has small LED running lights for rain etc but the real headlights are halogen. Best of both worlds IMO
it's not the LED itself but lack of proper adjustment (both after installing AND height adjustment with load) and folks retrofitting LED to lights not designed for them...

I always experienced that the majority of lights not properly adjusted when driving in the US is incredibily high.

Best LED IMHO is projector lens or matrix LED, my current car has projector LED, great stuff.

edit and 5 thousand something ;)

@SwampDonkey

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/15/cars/headlights-tech-adaptable-high-beams-cars/index.html

IMHO the biggest issue is lacking enforcement of Headlight adjustment...in EU cars have a yearly/bi yearly check also for headlight adjustment. That and laws making a car road illegal when the approved end product is changed in any way helps keep most tinkerers stay off from installing illegal stuff.

Definitely agree with you there. Not sure they ever get adjusted, at least in the American South with the propensity to lift vehicles and put larger tires on them (no shade, I have a soft spot for bubba trucks when done right). I know some states require yearly checks but none of my states ever have required it and I'm not sure what the others do check.

Shojiro, a scissor blacksmith in the Tokyo area, well actually Chiba but Tokyo lineage

101mm edge
102g
2mm spine at heel
5.5mm spine at handle end
33.5mm tall
60mm above edge, is the highest point of the handle
109mm handle

White steel
Iron is extra soft

Grind is pretty inconsistently lol, understatement. The handle is ground and forged for the right hand . . . I tried my left and it felt weird. The blade is ni-mai, with the left side having steel on most of the blade face, up to the 4/5 mark. The right side has the regular single bevel lam line thing going on, small core exposed then iron. The lamination line color itself is something I've never seen before. The iron is soft and has warm sparkly character, but no big wavy banding. The grind is convex on the left or ura side somehow. And the grind is hollow on the right side that I've flattened and convexed a bit. And overground at the heel. So everything you're not supposed to do, this blacksmith did it. I'm like. Dude. Seriously. You're a scissorsmith. You know better. You how to do an ura goddamnit. You know what's concave flat or convex. Anyhow ugh. Steel is buttery and slightly plasticky. Feels the most like goko white, which feels like sk. Except, harder. Hard not the hardest. Lamination doesn't go all the way to the heel. Tip is difficult to deburr, sticky burr there. Spine is forged KU still. Knife cuts fine, very thin spine, some sticking, I thinned it. I tried hammering to redistribute the convexing from left to right side and didn't want to keep hammering . . . Did make some progress though

Offers accepted on this one lol, after a day or two, weird knife

There ya go @esoo

As someone very happy with his coffee prep who despises the 24 step espresso video YouTube knows I consume an unhealthy amount of due to how soothing the neurotic nature of it seems. I have discovered the 9barista and the Weber BIRD which both tickle the engineering brain and apparently still make decent coffee. Send help, I am not ready for this arc.

As someone very happy with his coffee prep who despises the 24 step espresso video YouTube knows I consume an unhealthy amount of due to how soothing the neurotic nature of it seems. I have discovered the 9barista and the Weber BIRD which both tickle the engineering brain and apparently still make decent coffee. Send help, I am not ready for this arc.

You can do it. I haven't made an espresso at home in years and my life(and coffee) is all the better for it! I brew a single cup french press in the morning using great beans and water and it's all I need. If I'm feeling nerdy I will just geek out over a pourover...

You can do it. I haven't made an espresso at home in years and my life(and coffee) is all the better for it! I brew a single cup french press in the morning using great beans and water and it's all I need. If I'm feeling nerdy I will just geek out over a pourover...

I'm sort of on this team as well. I do lust for a Weber E1 single-dose grinder for pourovers though :) lol. Big fan of the NextLevel Pulsar brewer. Absolutely idiot proof and I get better / more consistent results than with a V60 etc.

Both ends of the wonk spectrum for espresso have their place. I think there is a large component of conspicuous conception involved in the gear aspect (looking at you Weber Moonraker or ForceTamp), but it's also fun to push the limits of the medium sometime with things like pre-infusion, shot profiling, etc. During the week, I don't even measure anything out anymore. I can pull good shots on my La Pavoni by sight and feel anymore - grind, tamp, pull, repeat. Doesn't take me more than 6 minutes to pull 3 shots and head out. On the weekend I take a bit more... maniacal approach. I'll go through exhaustive puck prep routines (anyone else here a fan of staccato shots?), play with more exotic coffees, etc. and generally just have fun with it. But the idea any of that is necessary to make good coffee is ludicrous.

Both ends of the wonk spectrum for espresso have their place. I think there is a large component of conspicuous conception involved in the gear aspect (looking at you Weber Moonraker or ForceTamp), but it's also fun to push the limits of the medium sometime with things like pre-infusion, shot profiling, etc. During the week, I don't even measure anything out anymore. I can pull good shots on my La Pavoni by sight and feel anymore - grind, tamp, pull, repeat. Doesn't take me more than 6 minutes to pull 3 shots and head out. On the weekend I take a bit more... maniacal approach. I'll go through exhaustive puck prep routines (anyone else here a fan of staccato shots?), play with more exotic coffees, etc. and generally just have fun with it. But the idea any of that is necessary to make good coffee is ludicrous.
So, which is better, the weekday coffee or the weekend coffee?

So, which is better, the weekday coffee or the weekend coffee?

They're just different styles really. One's a warm chocolate chip cookie and the other an elaborate restaurants composed dessert. The weekday coffee is good, efficient, a warm embrace each morning. The weekend coffee is exciting and fun, but not something I want to be the norm.

I have the Urania as walk up and pull a shot, and it's invariably good...sometimes GREAT, largely depending on what I feed it. The cappa's our 19 year old makes are quite good as well, it took her like two attempts to master the machine (aside from working at a coffee shop a couple of days a week).

I don't get the OCD fuzz over espresso being difficult to be honest, my Faemina was similarly easy, just had to fill the boiler too often and watch out not to let it run dry.

"There's so much breakfast prep that needs to be done. Nothing was prepped." - Executive Chef

Me knowing he covered the station yesterday.

"You should write them up for leaving so much to prep." - Me

"😐" - Executive Chef

"🤨" - Me

P.S. HR Complex Director got suspended, pending results of the investigation. I made a complaint about a Cook getting in my face and yelling at me, then trying to have a "talk" in the Walk-in fridge, about 3 months ago. I got told it was a misunderstanding and that I needed to think about how good of a job I'm doing, because we're having a hard time keeping Cook's.

I spend just about every week on the road drinking sh1tty hotel coffee purely for its gastro-greasing properties. Makes coming home to good beans SO much more enjoyable, I pick up way more tasting notes than if I'm home for a spell and drinking it every day. Silver linings I suppose.
I hear that. Although my situation is moreso having terrible but free instant coffee throughout the day after the one nice cup I make for myself in the morning. Saves me some coin….. some of which I can put towards steel and stone :)

Last edited:
Back