KKF Massdrop II - Xerxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same principle as last time folks. You throw your name in the ring and then the 20, apart from the organizers, will be randomly picked.
Timeframe will be 3-4 months when anything more precise is known it will be announced.
Chill guys. Every needed information will be published
Someone suggested @nakiriknaifuwaifu should do rock-paper-scissors 😂

Jannis is the perfect smith to make these knives. He's really opperating at another level. I couldn't help but think reading the knife specifics and thinking of Jannis, but it seemed a little too inexpensive 😁

Same principle as last time folks. You throw your name in the ring and then the 20, apart from the organizers, will be randomly picked.
Timeframe will be 3-4 months when anything more precise is known it will be announced.
Chill guys. Every needed information will be published

oi oi not so fast 😂 don't go deciding these things by yourself, please at least include me in these discussions 🤣

But yeah as @JayS20 said, every needed information will be published along with sign-ups (timeline, information on shipping costs, etc.)

This is a Xerxes - and that too at prices that are impossible to get nowadays. We expect interest to be high, so it will be a lottery system like last time to keep things fair for everyone.

oi oi not so fast 😂 don't go deciding these things by yourself, please at least include me in these discussions 🤣

But yeah as @JayS20 said, every needed information will be published along with sign-ups (timeline, shipping costs, etc.)

This is a Xerxes - and that too at prices that are impossible to get nowadays. We expect interest to be high, so it will be a lottery system like last time to keep things fair for everyone.
Scissor win.jpg

But yeah as @JayS20 said, every needed information will be published along with sign-ups (timeline, shipping costs, etc.)

If creating a post with details, I'd recommend maybe making a link to it from the initial post in the thread. That way people wont have to read through the whole conversation to find relevant info, and also reduce the number of repeat questions.

If creating a post with details, I'd recommend maybe making a link to it from the initial post in the thread. That way people wont have to read through the whole conversation to find relevant info, and also reduce the number of repeat questions.

maybe the relevant info can be pinned somewhere and that post is not open for comments?

Jannis is the perfect smith to make these knives. He's really opperating at another level. I couldn't help but think reading the knife specifics and thinking of Jannis, but it seemed a little too inexpensive 😁

i agree with you completely - jannis’ technical knowledge and dedication is incredible- we were able to get a great deal based on the mass-order and the pre-existing connection with @alterwisser.
You will not see a Xerses of this quality and construction at this price again- even though it’s expensive, it’s still a good value

I agree this is super interesting.

Im happy to roll on the chance of getting a 250.

I also agree the price is a lot lower than I expected so that's cool.

Condensed some info-

Maker:
Jannis (Xerxes-Knives)
https://www.xerxes-knives-shop.com/
Slots:
20 via Lottery system

Knife type:
Wa-Gyuto

Sizing:
225mm x 55mm <or> 250mm x 58mm

Price:

225 mm San-mai (55 mm heel)990 Euros // 1,181.63 USD (as of Mar 22, 2021)
250 mm San-mai (58 mm heel)1,040 Euros // 1,241.31 USD (as of Mar 22, 2021)

Grind:
Convex workhorse (Kato WH-esque), aggressive distal taper, onion destroying tip

Steel:
5-layer Sanmai (Gomai) - Cutting edge of 1.2562, an intermediate layer of nickel, and cladding made of 1.2767

Handle:
Stabilized grey-black curly maple with fiber spacer

Steel Info:
The knife is a "San-Mai" blade with a cutting edge made of 1.2562, an intermediate layer made of pure nickel and side layers made of 1.2767

The core steel (1.2562) is a tool steel with a high tungsten content with the following composition: C = 1.45%, W = 3.0%, Cr = 0.3%, V = 0.2%. I'll temper the steel at 66hrc. The steel is characterized by a high hardness and very good wear resistance with good toughness at the same time while still being easy on the stones.

The 1.2767 for the side layers is a tool steel with the following composition: C = 0.45%, Ni = 4.0%, Cr = 1.5%, Mo = 0.25%. The steel has a working hardness of approx. 55hrc. This makes it insensitive to scratches.

The 1.2562 core is a tool steel with a high tungsten content and will be taken to 66 HRC. It has great wear resistance and toughness while still being easy on the stones. It’s also a little less reactive than “normal” tool steel and forms a very stable patina. The combination is worry-free and the contrast between side layers and core steel will be preserved for a very long time.

Ideology:
The goal of this knife was to design an uncompromising beast in the kitchen: both visually striking and extremely high performance. A complete package that provides the feeling of joy that comes with knowing you are holding a very special knife in your hand

Word from the smith:
Hi everyone, I have known alterwisser for a few years and we have already implemented a few interesting knife projects.

And so i was really interested when he approached me about this project a while ago. At first we just did a wild brainstorming session, but over time an interesting knife developed.

I don't want to anticipate too much. But I think I can say that the planned knife combines some very interesting aspects.

Mention should be made here of the choice of a rare high-performance steel, a heat treatment perfectly adapted to the steel, a sophisticated workhorse geometry and a perfectly adapted profile.

Perfect F&F goes without saying. In the coming week I will shoot a short video in which I present my workshop.
Videos will follow later that document certain aspects of the manufacturing process. I'm looking forward to this project and I'm excited to see where the journey is going

Last edited:
Now a question that probably only Jannis can answer, how exact are the height measurements? I've had customs and semi-customs that were supposed to be 55 ending up 61, 60s ending up 57-58, etc. With length +-5-10 mm is not material, but with height it could be.

Well F me. Wish I could play at this price range, but getting married and owning restaurants during a pandemic preclude having cash for hobbies. Love that this concept is successful and look forward to future massdrops.

Can't wait for the best-of-all-time nakiri group-buy next fall (*hint-hint* @nakiriknaifuwaifu)

Back