Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is incorrect. I know because I got (won?) the sujihiki. I am not a bot. I did not use a bot. I just refreshed a ton starting at 10:59:50 CDT and got lucky. The page actually refreshed just after 11:00:00 and my checkout took about 5 seconds, and I expect the gyuto went even faster. And just to be clear I have no connection with this shop -- in fact I've never bought anything from them before this. I have tried for a LOT of knives, and I usually lose out (including others from Stay Sharp).

You can be unhappy with the method they use to sell high-demand knives like Jiro -- that's totally fair. If you'd prefer a raffle or another method that is more fair (or at least adjusts the luck), please voice your thoughts. But remember there are a lot of us all trying for this knife at the same time. Just because you didn't get it, doesn't mean the shop is trying to scam you.

In a former life I used to manage a retail shop in another niche industry, and this comment is what drove me to respond. I'm not trying to single you out specifically, but please try to keep things in perspective here. These are just guys who love knives just like we do. Yes, this is an expensive knife, but they're not raising the price so much to gouge the customer. They gave a heads-up on IG and let luck take it's course. Yes it's frustrating when you don't get your dream knife. But why vilify the shop?
Then the shop is crap and refresh takes too long to show the content. I never saw any of the Jiros even with heavy refreshing. That also happened the last time I tried to buy from them.

I talked to the owner multiple times about releasing the knives like that and that either the shop is slow or bots are used, there is no interest in seeing the problem. I never said they scammed me, I just won't buy from them anymore.

From my point of view it's nonsens to release the knives on a special time as regular followers of the instagram feed are not rewarded as the site is full of "lazy" buyers at that time. It's better to either make a raffle or just release it after showing on instagram like JNS is doing.

p.s. congrats to your buy. I also got one on Bernal a few months ago, and that one really appeard on the page.

Then the shop is crap and refresh takes too long to show the content. I never saw any of the Jiros even with heavy refreshing. That also happened the last time I tried to buy from them.

I talked to the owner multiple times about releasing the knives like that and that either the shop is slow or bots are used, there is no interest in seeing the problem. I never said they scammed me, I just won't buy from them anymore.

From my point of view it's nonsens to release the knives on a special time as regular followers of the instagram feed are not rewarded as the site is full of "lazy" buyers at that time. It's better to either make a raffle or just release it after showing on instagram like JNS is doing.

p.s. congrats to your buy. I also got one on Bernal a few months ago, and that one really appeard on the page.
It could be your internet is slow too…

I don’t really understand your point about ‘lazy’ buyers - should we all write an essay about why we deserve it and let the shop owner pick the winner? I don’t really want to spend my day constantly checking Instagram either…

I do agree a raffle is fairer though, especially for the large number of people who have to work at that time or just don’t the stress of frantically refreshing.

I mean no offence but I’m surprised you’re so frustrated considering you already own one - by your logic you’re one of the ‘greedy’ buyers making it harder for people who haven’t been lucky yet!

It could be your internet is slow too…

I don’t really understand your point about ‘lazy’ buyers - should we all write an essay about why we deserve it and let the shop owner pick the winner? I don’t really want to spend my day constantly checking Instagram either…

I do agree a raffle is fairer though, especially for the large number of people who have to work at that time or just don’t the stress of frantically refreshing.

I mean no offence but I’m surprised you’re so frustrated considering you already own one - by your logic you’re one of the ‘greedy’ buyers making it harder for people who haven’t been lucky yet!

No, I've got a high speed connection.

What I mean with "lazy" buyers: you don't need to check instagram regularly like that, just prepare for the release time. There is no advantage to follow a reseller's feed daily anymore.

I have no problem if anyone else can buy one, I'm just unhappy/frustrated with some of the reselling processes as they meant to be fair but aren't. I think that regular followers should be rewarded. Some guys are lucky as they have a local store in town and they can just walk in and buy a Jiro. Why isn't it possible to buy one online if I see a hint of a reseller on Instagram? The reply I always get: "that would not be fair" ... but hey, I can live with it. ;)

What I mean with "lazy" buyers: you don't need to check instagram regularly like that, just prepare for the release time. There is no advantage to follow a reseller's feed daily anymore.

I have no problem if anyone else can buy one, I'm just unhappy/frustrated with some of the reselling processes as they meant to be fair but aren't. I think that regular followers should be rewarded. Some guys are lucky as they have a local store in town and they can just walk in and buy a Jiro. Why isn't it possible to buy one online if I see a hint of a reseller on Instagram? The reply I always get: "that would not be fair" ... but hey, I can live with it. ;)
I see your point, although they go so quickly I would be very surprised if anyone who just happened to be on the site unaware of the drop was successful in getting one.

We have no Hitohira retailers here in the UK currently, being able to walk in a store and buy one is the dream.

The speed of your internet is meaningless. With the proper prep, you can grab a knife in under 2 seconds. No bots. Part of that is knowing what to refresh as the knives may not be listed where you think. I bought a Jiro once this way - returned it as I realized that I wouldn't be what I would enjoy.

And you can't walk in ahead of the drop and get the knife. They won't do that (at least the one local to me won't). I can't speak for the other stores that carry Hitohira.

Why is the shig santoku so much cheaper than the gyuto? I mean even if you take the length into consideration, it's still far cheaper

This is incorrect. I know because I got (won?) the sujihiki. I am not a bot. I did not use a bot. I just refreshed a ton starting at 10:59:50 CDT and got lucky. The page actually refreshed just after 11:00:00 and my checkout took about 5 seconds, and I expect the gyuto went even faster. And just to be clear I have no connection with this shop -- in fact I've never bought anything from them before this. I have tried for a LOT of knives, and I usually lose out (including others from Stay Sharp).

You can be unhappy with the method they use to sell high-demand knives like Jiro -- that's totally fair. If you'd prefer a raffle or another method that is more fair (or at least adjusts the luck), please voice your thoughts. But remember there are a lot of us all trying for this knife at the same time. Just because you didn't get it, doesn't mean the shop is trying to scam you.

In a former life I used to manage a retail shop in another niche industry, and this comment is what drove me to respond. I'm not trying to single you out specifically, but please try to keep things in perspective here. These are just guys who love knives just like we do. Yes, this is an expensive knife, but they're not raising the price so much to gouge the customer. They gave a heads-up on IG and let luck take it's course. Yes it's frustrating when you don't get your dream knife. But why vilify the shop?
Did you also just buy a Jiro gyuto?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 6.54.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 6.54.49 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Why is the shig santoku so much cheaper than the gyuto? I mean even if you take the length into consideration, it's still far cheaper

Because its kurouchi and a horrible performing knife (IMO). A knife I truly regret buying.

Is the kurochi gyuto a better buy?
KU gyuto doesn't exist - they come in petty, nakiri, and santoku format only.* Masayuki, same family / related but not Shigefusa, did make some KU gyuto though I think. Good luck finding one though - those rarer KU Shigs (180 santoku, 210 nakiri, etc.) can get up to $1k.

* there is a KU chukka out there, doubt you'd ever be able to dig it up though and I'd be shocked if it went for less than $3k

So the Ku series is exactly like TF then? Good metal, terrible grind. I supposed less wabi sabi then TF?

Damn, this one is gone too

oh that is interesting.

I ended up getting the nashiji one yesterday. Munetoshi Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm Uchigomori

I like Munetoshi but IMO they are project knives. I felt like 100 for flattened bevels and a nice chestnut handle was actually pretty reasonable.

I am also curious how good Maxim's geometry is. I will say, I am a teensy bit skeptical Im going to be able to put it down on a Nakayama kiita out of the box but we shall see. At the very least I expect to not give up, which is what I did on my last Munetoshi. I literally just stopped and gave up.

Latest posts

Back