Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More 270mm Tangetsu, surprisingly those and their blue one Damascus cousin haven’t sold out while people are chasing Tanaka x Kyuzo
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ucts/tangetsu-270mm-white-1-kurouchi-wa-gyuto

I not get the Kyuzo hype at all.

Is it because Yohei sharpened knives are nearly impossible to get now? Kyuzo grinds are mostly hollow, what even is the point of a wide bevel if you are going to have to completely invert the geometry to keep it thin bte (unless folks' plan is to let it get thick then have it professionally thinned)? Makes me wonder if folks are really using them tbh. If it's just folks who want to collect pretty knives ok I can respect that I guess but theyre not exactly, uh, finished to the highest level tbh.

Son of a...waited too long and missed them all. Probably better off based on all the crap I've bought lately.

The chase continues...
they are not released yet....

July 16th 8pm CEST

and I vote userfriendly

Not apart of the newsletter by why does this happen? Why post something that’s already sold? Marketing? Make people angry all over again?

Because it's not sold. It's posted with no stock to allow people to see what the knives are so you don't have to buy and ask question later.

Hitohiro does the same thing with Jiro. Every one is listed on their site as zero stock.

Not apart of the newsletter by why does this happen? Why post something that’s already sold? Marketing? Make people angry all over again?
My guess is that the only way to have them listed on the site with all the details is to have them listed as sold. If not then you'd be able to checkout and pay.

I’d guess it would be to get everyone the specs and videos of his offerings. He doesn’t post to IG much like some other makers

Edit: the knives are not sold yet, they get posted like so a few days before the drop, disappear 15 min before they become for sale, get reposted with the option to actually buy

I’d guess it would be to get everyone the specs and videos of his offerings. He doesn’t post to IG much like some other makers

Edit: the knives are not sold yet, they get posted like so a few days before the drop, disappear 15 min before they become for sale, get reposted with the option to actually buy
Aaahhh gotcha, I misunderstood your previous comment. That makes much more sense and something I’ve seen commonly on Hitohira and other shops

Do you guys think it would still be a good value at $400+ with a decent handle?

Edit: thats probably a bit high actually. Maybe $375?

matter of perspective.

I just got my Mazaki back from my dad and was reacquainted with how much I like the triangle profile and the heat treatment.

What are you other options at 375? There are some good ones for sure, Hatsukokoro Korombei and Hado Shiro 2 come to mind. But not THAT many.

the issue with KU Shigs, specifically the 165 nakiri and santoku, is the fat grind, including at the bevel.

it's not uneven, there's no wabi sabi. in fact it has the same beautifully made clamshell grind as the gyutos and same level of F&F (but KU finished). it's just fatter, which makes it explode carrots in a way I don't expect veggie-focused knives to perform.

I remember Jon at JKI posted a few years ago a choll shot from a heavily thinned Shig, which sounds interesting.

matter of perspective.

I just got my Mazaki back from my dad and was reacquainted with how much I like the triangle profile and the heat treatment.

What are you other options at 375? There are some good ones for sure, Hatsukokoro Korombei and Hado Shiro 2 come to mind. But not THAT many.
True.

I had a 240 migaki and it was quite nice. Steel felt good which is a big deal for me. Profile and grind seemed right, maybe a tad too pointy for me but was fine. It was my infancy of using more expensive knives. Curious how they compare now after trying various knives. I feel like it’ll be similar to a slender version of these Wakui WH in white 2

per Joe
hopefully he doesnt mind if I share.

Hi Matt, I noticed the title stated blade-only, so I changed it. These have handles. Looks like I missed changing the description of the 240s. These are 2023 profiles. Edge length of the 240s runs about 250. The 210 that I checked ran about 215

Enter

Joe-Sugi Cutlery, custom wa handles for Japanese kitchen knives
Joe-Sugi Cutlery, custom wa handles for Japanese kitchen knives

I’ll get a spine photo, take my pictures outside and rushed to get in before a storm

Back