Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HADO B1

IMG_7449.jpeg

my recollection is that's total items sold on the site. even the natural stone listings have that and those are clearly one-offs given theyre natural stones.
Thats not how it reads though. Definitely some marketing hanky panky.

KU version seem heavier than migaki SS-clad, from the listed specs... 225g. I remember one at Zahocho that was listed at 240g.

I wonder if the grind is different. KU's choil shot looks more like a convex wide bevel.
Mine is from Zahocho and weights 231 grams. Outstanding cutter. On hand made knives measurements are always to be taken as a guideline I believe. Different handles, I imagine they are the same knives. Maxim states even choil is polished which is not in my case, the spine instead is mirror polished.

And no info on handle besides "octagonal wa". JFC

True to Mazaki, it's pretty ugly to boot.
My guess is that is retailers choice or it was picked up from KnS. The design smacks of James' handles and doesn't he get most of the 'special' Mazaki's after that HK dealer. You have to wonder with a poor finish like that whether it is in fact BNIB.

anyone have any experience with these murata hados?

https://thecooksedge.com/collections/vendors?q=Hado
Listing those under “Hado”, or having that name attached to those knives is confusing, possibly an error. I have that 165 funayuki (different handle), and the nakiri and santoku from Takeo Murata’s Buho line, and I can recommend them enthusiastically. They are nimble, light, yet quite capable for their size. Also a delight to sharpen. The grinds on mine follow the same contour more or less: they taper inward quickly from a substantial spine, then out again until just above the cladding line, then gently convex to the edge. No flex.

Hard steel is unforgiving and harder to hide flaws in I’d guess

Check it out
https://thecooksedge.com/products/mazaki-migaki-honyaki-gyuto-240mm
Well if you stop at 200 grit, you can't really expect much improvement. A lot of Japanese makers provide a blade with no edge, whilst Mazaki goes one step further and expects you to polish the blade road too. Should do better at those prices Mazzer. After all, most honyaki have a mirror finish and cost less so it's not too much to ask. To me it's just laziness.
Then again he makes all the knives so maybe I should cut him some slack.......

Back