Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5512.jpeg

A lot of them yes. I feel like there are a few people who own a ridiculous number of them. It's also not a surprise you won't find many owners here though based on the negative feedback here.
If somebody would feel the urge to get rid of one of those Jiro Nakiris, I would be more than happy to help (CONUS and EU)…

(I know this is not the right thread, will do a WTB one day, but since people are talking of letting Jiros sleep in drawers, i thought i should just mention that I.do.not.have.a.drawer)

Can someone educate this noob as to why Jiro is getting such hype? I played with a non numbered Jiro at Tosho knife, wasn't really that blown away by the performance.
Well, Jiros are produced at an incredibly low quantity, which has made made them hard to get a hold of. Now that they’re so difficult to get ahold of people want them more, making them even harder to find. It’s really a lesson in scarcity, collection, fomo, and group think.

Not saying they’re bad knives or not worth the price tag. Not everything that scarcely scalable goes viral in the same way. Just explaining what’s really happening here. I’d gladly pay for a gyuto.

Well, Jiros are produced at an incredibly low quantity, which has made made them hard to get a hold of. Now that they’re so difficult to get ahold of people want them more, making them even harder to find. It’s really a lesson in scarcity, collection, fomo, and group think.
Can we please stop this narrative? We know there are at least 489 produced up until now. So for 4 years that makes an average of 10 knives per month. More than some Western makers while not doing customs, so not wasting as much time conversing and arguing with customers and also producing the same kinda knife but not needing to hit specific parameters.
I know in the earlier days, first 250 in which it wasn't too hard to get one from retailers. You had time to check out the specs on hitohiras site and see if they fit you since two weren't really alike. Quite some I didn't like be it spine thickness, grind, tip thickness, weight...
There was one at Ai and Om which was pretty close to my prefered stats, it was there for like 3 days for a good price, didn't buy it since with shipping and customs it was too much for me but still a solid price compared to today. Like a year ago they didn't insta sell on BST. Sat there for some days even with price reductions.
Somehow more and more people started hyping them often without having one. Especially knife shops started hyping them.

Not even a cleaver guy but I’m having a very hard time not completing checkout here.

Please someone save me.
Half this forum is filled with filthy enablers so here's your saving grace.

It's a good knife with nice heat treat (as to be expected with Tanaka) and a higher-end cleaver. However, I don't really jive with the wa-handle on a knife like this and feel that the value isn't 100% there for the price. (YMMV as I tried a Kono White Chuka before and it was much more fatiguing to use but IMO it felt better to use because of the yo-handle.) The overall package is good but it's not worth $200 more compared to the Kono in my eyes. Both are hard to get obviously (and who knows whether Kono cleavers will stay discontinued) but I don't know if I'd keep mine if not for the lack of options (outside of customs) in the higher-end cleaver range.

Can we please stop this narrative? We know there are at least 489 produced up until now. So for 4 years that makes an average of 10 knives per month. More than some Western makers while not doing customs, so not wasting as much time conversing and arguing with customers and also producing the same kinda knife but not needing to hit specific parameters.
I know in the earlier days, first 250 in which it wasn't too hard to get one from retailers. You had time to check out the specs on hitohiras site and see if they fit you since two weren't really alike. Quite some I didn't like be it spine thickness, grind, tip thickness, weight...
There was one at Ai and Om which was pretty close to my prefered stats, it was there for like 3 days for a good price, didn't buy it since with shipping and customs it was too much for me but still a solid price compared to today. Like a year ago they didn't insta sell on BST. Sat there for some days even with price reductions.
Somehow more and more people started hyping them often without having one. Especially knife shops started hyping them.
Actually Hitohira started that hype by forcing the resellers to remove all waitlists and to announce all Jiros on instagram. The hype is house made marketing.

All these raffles and on time sellings are just increasing the hype. Glad to see that the first resellers started to release his Jiros just minutes after announcing so real collectors that follow are rewarded and not bot hunting private resellers who intend to earn money.

Back