Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the western-light handles on these

It should be no surprise that I am super interested in opinions etc on this! I am constantly tweaking the westerns. These newest ones were a lot less "dramatic" than the full-size ones. I'll definitely be looking for feedback once these western-lights arrive and get some use. Fun photo of both for reference.

PXL_20231217_002147998.jpg

It should be no surprise that I am super interested in opinions etc on this! I am constantly tweaking the westerns. These newest ones were a lot less "dramatic" than the full-size ones. I'll definitely be looking for feedback once these western-lights arrive and get some use. Fun photo of both for reference.

View attachment 288423
Random question for you, but for a custom spot are you willing/able to change heat treat protocols? Not that there is anything wrong with 62HRC 52100 at all, but would you be willing to go for 64-65 on a bookspot? Also...any more fun steel options in the works like Apex Ultra? Honyaki? San mai? Also do you do cryo?

So far your stuff looks really nice, very impressive for a newer maker! I would like to try one someday, wish I had the budget atm.

View attachment 288423
Love that spalted handle!

Random question for you, but for a custom spot are you willing/able to change heat treat protocols? Not that there is anything wrong with 62HRC 52100 at all, but would you be willing to go for 64-65 on a bookspot? Also...any more fun steel options in the works like Apex Ultra? Honyaki? San mai? Also do you do cryo?

So far your stuff looks really nice, very impressive for a newer maker! I would like to try one someday, wish I had the budget atm.

I must answer this cautiously or I'll get requests for the classic North-facing-full-moon-blood-quench or the like. But the short answer is yes, I can change HRC pretty easily, it's just another detail to remember.

I am working on ApexUltra, in fact just today I ordered a ton of ceramic abrasives to make it less painful this time around (and I mean that as a complement to the geniuses who produced AU). And San Mai is on the near horizon I think, pending lots of figuring stuff out.

Not trying to derail a thread about Knife Findings though! If this needs to be moved elsewhere someone just let me know.

*edit about cryo - I do cryo for steels that require it, not as a blanket for everything. Pretty much all stainless supersteels "need" it, most low-allow carbon stuff is pretty great even without it.

I must answer this cautiously or I'll get requests for the classic North-facing-full-moon-blood-quench or the like. But the short answer is yes, I can change HRC pretty easily, it's just another detail to remember.

I am working on ApexUltra, in fact just today I ordered a ton of ceramic abrasives to make it less painful this time around (and I mean that as a complement to the geniuses who produced AU). And San Mai is on the near horizon I think, pending lots of figuring stuff out.

Not trying to derail a thread about Knife Findings though! If this needs to be moved elsewhere someone just let me know.

*edit about cryo - I do cryo for steels that require it, not as a blanket for everything. Pretty much all stainless supersteels "need" it, most low-allow carbon stuff is pretty great even without it.
Awesome, great to know! Keep up the good work

Aur naurrrr not Jedy HRC-gate 2.0!! 😂

Back