Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one for you big spenders...
This may have been posted B4, I didn't look through 400 pages...

Screenshot_20231221-112247-518.png
Screenshot_20231221-112332-268.png

Forget Kato. At this point I think this is JNS pushing and pushing to see how much he can squeeze people. With such little supply, even with the recent ones, there will always be someone with money to burn and he knows that. His rationale (that I think he’s posted here) reminds me of every big corporation in the States justifying their absurd prices the last few years even after the Covid bottleneck loosened.

Is the cutting performance of the Katos that superior? Or is it their rarity that commands the price? Are they noticeably better than the Tanaka x Kyuzo? The k tip grind does look very simar to my Mazaki . . .

Is the cutting performance of the Katos that superior? Or is it their rarity that commands the price? Are they noticeably better than the Tanaka x Kyuzo? The k tip grind does look very simar to my Mazaki . . .
Made by hand start to finish by one guy who happens to be a swordsmith and from a sword making lineage. Performance on mine is really really nice. Great convex grinds, better than most of the standard sakai stuff yeah imo. But yes a big part of it is rarity, even when he wasn't semi retired he's not pumping them out like Tanaka or anything. They were originally like $500 knives. For me I think I would be happy spending about 7-800 on one. (I spent more just to get a cool one because I wanted to see what the fuss was about)

()

They’re cool knives, at $600 I’d own one. They’ve got a special on hand feel that makes me understand why people love / collect them.

From a performance to current market value perspective they are, objectively, bad. Good thing we don’t have to justify expensive hobby purchase based only on technical merits - because I like it, because it’s cool, & because it’s rare are all valid purchase criteria in my eyes

Back