Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's weird that this trend seems to be spreading? Used to be only Takeshi Saji had such gaudy handles... Just seems weird to have a 500 euro knife with a plastic handle.

I've aways wondered who's actually buying them? JCK has actually kept expanding on its inventory of hideous handles over the years, so I guess there's a demand that's being catered to. I've always assumed most of that went to the Chinese customerbase with more money than taste? It certainly doesn't seem to allign with the flavor profile of people around here...

I've aways wondered who's actually buying them? JCK has actually kept expanding on its inventory of hideous handles over the years, so I guess there's a demand that's being catered to. I've always assumed most of that went to the Chinese customerbase with more money than taste? It certainly doesn't seem to allign with the flavor profile of people around here...
I've seen many a gawdy wood/acrylic hybrid handle on reddit NKD posts with some rough color combos. I just assumed this was like moving on to grad school for mall ninjas.

Last edited:
ive come across several line cooks in the past at different times that showed me their dream knife in vg10 with tie dyed neon western handle from JCK. Usually it’s the shun/Myabi crowd that wants something better, not sure what’s better but the loud ass handle to them indicates they’re getting a more serious work knife.

Most Chinese knife collectors actually have quite good taste in exotic wood tho… Wood collecting is quite old hobby in China. You can check some YouTube kitchen knife channel and you will find the audience
I guess I stand corrected. The assumption was rooted in seeing similar kind of gaudy stuff in PC and phone markets also being far more of a thing over there than over here.
Maybe it's an age / younger crowd thing? In my own life I've also had some aesthethical preferences in my younger years that I later grew out of. RGB crowd might actually be an accurate assesment.

I've got one and love it. Little thick but the weight is sensational, it's holds an edge for ages and it seems to glide through things. People do rag on it here though
Squint and it looks just like a Yo Shig. Just try and get over the 'imitation' mahogany scales.

Foodgear is going to release a Konosuke Fujiyama Kaiju btw.

Back