Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rare Oba Kaji Hakata knife Blade length 160mm​

https://www.jauce.com/auction/h1128508939

Not easy to come by; no website, in-person purchase only, and he may or may not be open.
This is who Miyazaki apprenticed to.
Screen shot shows him serving a customer - from an auction where I picked up a similar knife for quite a lot more than this, and without the metal ferule.
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 16.00.25.png

Rare Oba Kaji Hakata knife Blade length 160mm​

https://www.jauce.com/auction/h1128508939

Not easy to come by; no website, in-person purchase only, and he may or may not be open.
This is who Miyazaki apprenticed to.
Screen shot shows him serving a customer - from an auction where I picked up a similar knife for quite a lot more than this, and without the metal ferule.View attachment 309745
There's rustic and there's rusty rustic. This falls in the latter classification.

Hard to say these days since every other knife seems to be 210x60, so in this environment 240x50 might be considered a gyutohiki 🤷‍♂️. I tried this https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...inga-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto-sujihiki-hybrid and it was a good knife. Of course another problem is that since workhorses are popular you need extra height to make the grind work well.
I hear you. Thanks for the Rec. I think I saw a very flat bellied k tip TNH sujihiki somewhere that looked like its heel height must have been around 38-40mm. That’s got to be the gold standard (not necessarily TNH but wouldn’t say no, am sure isamitsu or Tetsujin or whoever could nail it)

I hear you. Thanks for the Rec. I think I saw a very flat bellied k tip TNH sujihiki somewhere that looked like its heel height must have been around 38-40mm. That’s got to be the gold standard (not necessarily TNH but wouldn’t say no, am sure isamitsu or Tetsujin or whoever could nail it)
Its all arbitrary. If you’re looking for a reason to buy a new knife just go for it

I use my suji for everything. It doesnt mean its better than tall knives. Its just what I’m comfortable with

Its all arbitrary. If you’re looking for a reason to buy a new knife just go for it

I use my suji for everything. It doesnt mean its better than tall knives. Its just what I’m comfortable with
I’m not sure that everything is arbitrary. If that were the case we would be incapable of selection or preference. And I certainly did not claim that tall or short knives were ‘better’. By gold standard, I meant in relation to dimensions for a gyuhiki. I see the utility in tall, short, long etc. and most integers in between.

I’m not sure that everything is arbitrary. If that were the case we would be incapable of selection or preference. And I certainly did not claim that tall or short knives were ‘better’. By gold standard, I meant in relation to dimensions for a gyuhiki. I see the utility in tall, short, long etc. and most integers in between.
Arbitrary meaning everyone has their own preference. Go buy the knife and find out yours

Unless you need someone here to tell you 42mm

Back