Knife Japan: What's notable, worth buying, etc.?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool site, reminds me of Japan trip saw this shack up in the woods guy was forging kitchen knives. Small rustic carbon blades.

I'll check out site more, even like the mono steel G3 stainless blades. Might try a 180 nice knife to gift.
Michael probably does business with him. One of the knives I got from Michael had to wait a bit as he had to drive to the maker to order it and the recent snowfall was prohibiting the trip. :)

Just bought two 180mm gyuto. One carbon with KU & writing on the handle. Other was G3 stainless with western handle. I'll sharpen them when they come in & post pictures.

I love every single facet of this post. Bought two. 180 gyutos! Carbon and G3. Post pictures! You're talking straight to my heart Keith. 😁

Update on this

https://knifejapan.com/sasaoka-hasami-funayuki-bocho-165mm/
Steel feels awesome and not chippy in the slightest. Was able to cut fish heads off with and the edge stayed in good shape. Scraping against a poly cutting board with dover sole skin as well. Did about 40 of them and the steel held true.

I'm going to leave this knife as thick BTE as I can until it starts affecting fine produce cuts. All I want to do is ease that very tall shoulder on it. I tried to ease it with just some rough sandpaper but it was slow going and I ran out so I just went to the stones. Some fun work to be had with this one. More sandpaper and a Shapton pro 220 on the way. Really enjoying these cheaper knives that you get to play with and tune to what you are looking for. I'm glad the steel turned out to be very good and allows a good base on how you want your edge to perform.

Update on this

Steel feels awesome and not chippy in the slightest. Was able to cut fish heads off with and the edge stayed in good shape. Scraping against a poly cutting board with dover sole skin as well. Did about 40 of them and the steel held true.

I'm going to leave this knife as thick BTE as I can until it starts affecting fine produce cuts. All I want to do is ease that very tall shoulder on it. I tried to ease it with just some rough sandpaper but it was slow going and I ran out so I just went to the stones. Some fun work to be had with this one. More sandpaper and a Shapton pro 220 on the way. Really enjoying these cheaper knives that you get to play with and tune to what you are looking for. I'm glad the steel turned out to be very good and allows a good base on how you want your edge to perform.

And now the Wishlist is back up to 12.

:)

Really enjoying these cheaper knives that you get to play with and tune to what you are looking for.
for me that’s a significant part of the allure with KJ knives. they are usually small, iron clad, just grind easily and not super expensive so you aren’t afraid to put them on stones.

Been eyeing these two for a while now.

If A, why? If B, why?

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

If A, why? If B, why?
I’m happy with my Ikenami (plural). 180 bannou and 210 suji.

one thing to consider - Ikenami does concave bevels. in case you want to get them stone ready, it should take a bit more work vs convex bevels (but it’s doable for sure, another member here has done it).

+1 vote for Nakamura, just because it’s on my wishlist and I want someone to try and review it first :D

801BB973-48C6-4E64-9BE6-1D8A51C6735B.jpeg

If A, why? If B, why?

I have both of those on my Wishlist and I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Ikenami. I really like the petty I have from him. My only hesitation is the 44mm height. That's right at my minimum. But, I do like a thick spine out of the handle so that is attractive.

As a home cook who does regular edge maintenance the steel, in reality, is kind of a wash for me. Of course, I say that while admitting that the Hami santoku I did end up buying was largely cuz I wanted some more Aogami in my life. :)

What you do is what the rest of us do who frequent Knife Japan like an Only Fans site. You start a Wishlist and just start buying them one at a time. 😁

Last edited:
Maybe this will help push someone over the edge. Here's another example of the kinds of email you get when dealing with Michael...

Homi san did say that he'd aim to have the knives I've ordered to me by the 20th so I may be being conservative with the ETA, but he's a country lad, approaches to business vary quite a lot from area to area (with surprising consistency in each region) and he and I haven't been doing business long enough to really know each other's ways. All will be revealed!

I'll see the week out and if I don't have anything in hand I'll take a drive down that way on Friday.

:)

In case in helps anyone…

my Ikenami 180 feels light and nimble in hand, sort of like your average 165 santoku would (it measures 170 something). the profile is more santoku than gyuto also. the balance point is midway between the maker’s mark and the heel, very neutral.

it has decent spine thickness and not much distal taper, making it 100% stiff. cuts with some authority. I like that balance - a nimble knife that has some power.

it’s thin behind the edge due to the concave grind. not so much that it feels fragile, just enough to cut well.

for me that’s a significant part of the allure with KJ knives. they are usually small, iron clad, just grind easily and not super expensive so you aren’t afraid to put them on stones.
At first my better half would only use her Takamura R2. Wouldn't touch my carbons. After a while she couldn't resist my little Carter & white steel petty with pointy tip. So small knives make good gifts to women who have never had a really sharp knife.

I've found in teaching freehand that women often pick it up quickly. They are good at the light pressure strokes that can refine edges to sharpness.

So teach the women friends in your life & extended family how to sharpen & gift them little knives:upsidedownspin:

Update on this

His blue #2 180 nakiri was the first knife I ever added to my wishlist. Glad to hear a review of his work in any form

Any Canadians bought and received from Knife Japan?

If so, did you have to pay additional duties/custom fees?

They said "free shipping" but often times border fees are ridiculous.

You may want to email Michael. He's extremely responsive and may well be able to provide info.

If they are shipping DHL, I would expect $20 + 13% tax (based on declared value converted to Canadian at whatever preferential to them exchange rate). This is what I've paid for every DHL shipment of knives from outside the country.

DHL is nowhere near as bad as UPS Standard to Canada which is the worst (as UPS uses some random number they come up with by throwing a dart at a board)

I've been in contact with Michael, yeah, very responsive guy. Think I gotta get off my lazy butt, and read through the intros of each maker on the site, before pulling the trigger.

Wow, this is extremely detailed. Thanks for the link!

tl;dr Canadians have to pay regular Canadian taxes plus a border fee of $10 (with Japan/Canada Post) or $17 (with DHL Express). Unclear if those $10/$17 amounts are in USD or CAD.

Also from that link:

Import duty is not applied to any knives sent from Japan no matter the value, provided Japan is the country of origin (ie if they were made in Japan).

I did not know this. I had always avoided buying from Japanese retailers because I was afraid of getting hit by some 30%+ duties fee, but it looks like I only have to pay the 13% Canadian taxes + the carrier's flat border fees ($10 or $17 depending on who it is).

Last edited:
Wow, this is extremely detailed. Thanks for the link!

tl;dr Canadians have to pay regular Canadian taxes plus a border fee of $10 (with Japan/Canada Post) or $17 (with DHL Express). Unclear if those $10/$17 amounts are in USD or CAD.

Also from that link:

I did not know this. I had always avoided buying from Japanese retailers because I was afraid of getting hit by some 30%+ duties fee, but it looks like I only have to pay the 13% Canadian taxes + the carrier's flat border fees ($10 or $17 depending on who it is).

Canada Post border fee is $10CAD, DHL is $20CAD. UPS Standard is based on a fixed amount + percentage of the shipment amount. It can get expensive. UPS Expedited had a lot lower fees.

Canada Post is also hit or miss with charging. I've had more shipment come without being charged than with.

Back