Looking for a bread knife (questionaire)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interapid101

Reaction score
Looking for a new bread knife. Of course, interested in the Gude 12", but it's bigger than I'd like and I understand the edge retention is so-so. Really Mac knives, but not crazy about serrations sharpened on both sides. Would like something easy to touch up on stones.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Bread knife

Are you right or left handed?

Ambidextrous, but only cut with my left hand using gyuto. I'll use right hand for bread.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

No preference, but I've never seen a bread knife with wa handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

10-12" or 240 mm to 300 mm. 270 mm would be the sweet spot.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Cutting bread only

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

7"(?) Henkels 2-man and 9" Ken Onion Sky (I know, I know).

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch, hammer, fingerpoint

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

For bread, I use a push/pull

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

No preference

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

more heft and comfy handle would be nice. Not real important, though.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

OOTB usability, ease of sharpening

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

If it's got a traditional single side serration that is easy to sharpen, I don't care too much. If it's something more tricky to sharpen like Mac, I'd like very good edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

All of the above, usually rubber nowadays

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Never seen a bread knife with a Wa handle? Look here: http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/breadknife.htm

Apart from that I cannot really help you, I built my own bread knife because I hated the handles of all commercially available ones.
IMG_2216.jpg

We have MAC superior bread knife. I like it a lot (may make a custom handle for it at some point). It is much nicer to use than bread knives with dead flat cutting edge. The edge has no points. It cuts well, but I am not sure how should I sharpen it.

We have MAC superior bread knife. I like it a lot (may make a custom handle for it at some point). It is much nicer to use than bread knives with dead flat cutting edge. The edge has no points. It cuts well, but I am not sure how should I sharpen it.

If this is the knife I found on Amazon, then it looks like it has a highly asymmetrical grind comparable to a Honesuki. I think you could sharpen it like you would do with any knife with that kind of grind. What to do once the serration is gone I don’t know, maybe use a saw file to bring it back?

Tojiro ITK 270mm Bread Knife. Excellent knife that doesn't break the bank. The handle is nothing to write home about but is serviceable.

Tojiro ITK 270mm Bread Knife. Excellent knife that doesn't break the bank. The handle is nothing to write home about but is serviceable.

The Sabatier is intriguing, but this looks like a perfect choice.

From what I've gathered, Gude bread knives are reputed to be the ballerest.

Last edited:
Very satisfied with my Misono 300. Only Moly Van (Aus8) knife I have but really blows away it's predecessor, which was a Chicago Cutlery Made in USA bread knife from 25 years ago.
O6zlev.jpg

From what I've gathered, Gude bread knives are reputed to be the ballerest.

Yup, I bought one and it cuts like a beast on hard crust breads. So sharp (at least for the first year, so far) that I have to use an old beat-up maple cutting board to save my Hinoki boards.

Two things about the Gude bread knives -- 1) they seem to go on sale about once a year, so watch for that, and 2) they're available in two sizes, and the shorter one I bought feels like the handle is weighted more to balance the longer blade version. It's a bit handle-heavy. If I was doing it again I'd get the longer of the two versions.

There's no doubt the Güde is a fine bread knife. As @Paraffin said, catch one when they go on sale - discount can be >50%! However, be aware of the weight. I bought an olive handled 210mm and regretted not getting the longer 320mm one. Grabbed one on sale but was surprised by the heft. Comes in at 390g compared to its baby brother's slender 205g.
Worth noting that the actual length of the 320mm is only 297mm.

There's also the Tojiro which I haven't used. There are models from $20. The more expensive ITK 270 is shown in action here by Rick (@ThEoRy) performing a variety of tasks:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Decided to go with the Tojiro. Seemed like the most bang for the buck.

I'll be interested in reading how you like it. I'm looking for a bread knife as well.

My bread knife is a 10 dollar Calpalon discount bin special. It performs right up there with any knife I own.

Maybe OT and/or overkill but I was thinking...

What is a bread knife? Usually it is a more or less flat knife with serrations on one side. So... How about converting a (well-worn if not even abused) Takobiki/Sakimaru (because of its shape) into a bread knife by hand-filing serrations into the blade? Would that make a nice project and a good bread knife? Probably not, blade too thick and too brittle, right?

Last edited:
Back