Looking for a daily driver Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPerry

Reaction score
Hey folks! Currently mulling a knife purchase and I think that I'm finally narrowing it down, but would like feedback on whether I'm on the right track given my needs/desires. See below (my responses bold for legibility).

What country are you in?

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 - 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, but I think that I want stainless cladding. I do have a reactive Yanagiba, but it gets used so infrequently that day-today with a reactive blade may be a learning process and having a bit more margin for error would be nice. Maybe a KU finish on reactive cladding would be okay? Not sure how much those finishes help and whether or not they stick around for the long haul.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$300-ish, but would prefer closer to $200-250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing, chopping veggies, slicing/trimming meats, mincing herbs

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Primary user is a Miyabi Koh, 8”. I also keep a Wusthof chef’s knife around for things like splitting squash or separating a whole chicken.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch, mostly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push and draw. I do tend to rock with herbs, but not frantic or heavy-handed, ‘specially with a sharp knife.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Sharpness, ease of sharpening, cool factor. Don’t know if it’s poor technique or blade properties, but I don’t exactly fly through things like horizontal cuts when dicing onions. Not a fan of potatoes and whatnot suctioned on to the blade.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Something with visual interest – KU and/or hammered or Nashiji(?). Subtle Damascus would be fine if the blade checked all of the boxes otherwise; not a big fan of in-your-face Damascus.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Decent balance near the pinch. Not looking for anything too hefty. Willing to ease my own edges if necessary.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Looking for a decent all-around, every-day user.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

2-3 months? I’m cooking for two adults and two small children, so I’m not processing a ton of food daily. If it’s not a pain in the butt to touch up, I’m okay with more frequent.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Synthetic and wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

N/A

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Not at this time - I already have some water stones and strop.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I think that I would like a white steel core – while the lower reactivity and better edge retention of something like Blue Super would be nice, I’d give that up if it means that a screaming edge is easier to attain… but with no real-world comparison between the two, I don’t know if the differences (in terms of ease of sharpening, edge retention, etc) are splitting hairs, ‘specially when compared to the Wusthofs and Miyabi that I’m used to (which aren’t very good, compared to my Yanagiba and woodworking tools)

In terms of maker, I’d strongly prefer smaller makers at this time and I’d like something that’s primarily attributable to a single smith (I understand that other hands are often involved). This just appeals to my sensibilities concerning craftsmen.

A couple of knives of particular interest to me:

Wakui Gyuto 210mm White 2 Stainless Clad Hammered Finish (KNS)

Tesshu Wa Gyuto 240mm White II Steel forged by Mr. Wakui (AFramesTokyo)

I don’t know how much these knives differ in terms of geometry and/or thickness (the A Frames measurements seem to be in 1/16s and then converted to mm, so I’m not sure how precise they are) and would be interested to hear thoughts on whether they’d be appropriate to my desires and/or if one might be better than the other.

I’d also be interested in a stainless clad W2 Mokoto Kurasaki but they seem to be harder to come by at this point.

Mazaki looks interesting, too, but I see sentiment that the width/heft might be a bit much for a n00b.

Obviously open to other recommendations, as well. Thanks in advanced!

mazaki is a great knife. You won’t know until you tried one. About the weight, more or less it should be similar to wakui. For me, the weight doesn’t bother me at all, instead the weight helps with cutting performance.
With that price range you could choose from mazaki, watanabe or wakui.
IMO, watanabe blue steel is more superior in edge retention, my nakiri has last me 3weeks without sharpening in professional kitchen.
However, if you are interested in trying mazaki, it is currently on sale at JNS web and maxim mentioned on his IG that he will restock some of the mazaki soon within this week.

I'd recommend Mazaki as well. It has iron cladding, but I've had absolutely no trouble with it (and I've sold iron clad knives before because of them being to reactive for my liking).

Cleancut.eu has them cheaper than JNS despite the current sale, for what it's worth. ;)

There's a stainless clad Mazaki on the BST right now. Looks phenomenal. It's an oversized 210 (216x51). That's what I would get if I were you.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be worried that Mazaki is too stout. It's not a stamped laser, but the drastic distal taper from heel to tip makes it quite thin by the tip. Its primary bevel is also ground high and thin.

I think either Wakui would be a great choice. They take a great edge and if you use a microbevel, they’ll keep it for a while too. The grinds on the ones I’ve experienced kept them from being too fragile or needing any babying.

The newer mazakis are a littke slimmer more balanced, in my experience and opinion. I would recommend the ku one. It seems to fit your list of preferences.

You may need to make a choice between a simple steel like shirogami which won't have months of edge retention (although it will be super easy to touch up) or a more highly alloyed steel which will get closer. I reckon that a well heat treated aogami or a semistainless like SKD can be a sweet spot.

The KnS hammered Wakui is a thicker knife (some Wakuis are said to be much thinner), with excellent food release and a generous taper. Quite similar in performance to Yoshikane SKD. Sharpens very nicely. Then again so does the Yoshi.

You should also have a look at the Tanaka blue2 Nashiji. This is a much thinner (not laser thin, though) knife which has a more curved profile to better suit rock chopping.

JNS lists the 240 Kasumi at $259, no? The cleancut version is listed at $250 with VAT. If you’re in the states, the shipping is usually about the same as the VAT, so it comes out around $250. Not a huge difference.

JNS currently list the 240 at $228 (sale price and still ongoing for this week)
And by spending 1500DKK which is equivalent to $225USD, you are eligible for free shipping, which for me is a very good deal. I haven’t had any experience buying from cleancut, but then if they gonna charge you for shipping after, that means JNS price is much more cheaper, isn’t it?

Great stuff so far and some additional considerations to add to the list - thanks! Couple quick questions:

Some (many?) of the knives being discussed seem to be from the same region - is the "Sanjo taper" generally considered to be a good compromise in terms of versatility?

Also, does CC sell to the US? I can't find a US shipping option, even after adding items to the cart. Related to that, is there a sticky/reference thread for recommended vendors and which regions they service?

JNS currently list the 240 at $228 (sale price and still ongoing for this week)
And by spending 1500DKK which is equivalent to $225USD, you are eligible for free shipping, which for me is a very good deal. I haven’t had any experience buying from cleancut, but then if they gonna charge you for shipping after, that means JNS price is much more cheaper, isn’t it?

Ah, I didn’t see the listing in the sale section. They also have them listed in the Mazaki section for $259. So maybe at the moment it’s a better deal. (Although I’m confused about whether the ones listed under sale are the same as the ones listed under Mazaki.) In any case, though, they’re all out of stock at JNS.

Cleancut charges shipping, but not VAT, so the total price to the US is around $250. Excluding sales, that’s slightly cheaper than JNS even with free shipping. But the difference is negligible.

Also, does CC sell to the US? I can't find a US shipping option, even after adding items to the cart.

They do, the customer service is extraordinary, and they speak perfect English. You can’t order online, though, so you have to contact them by email and they’ll send you a paypal request for the funds. As mentioned above, the price usually ends up around what is quoted on the site, since shipping costs replace the VAT. Shipping is super fast (couple days) from both JNS and CC.

Cleancut's ... customer service is extraordinary, and they speak perfect English. You can’t order online, though, so you have to contact them by email and they’ll send you a paypal request for the funds... Shipping is super fast (couple days) from both JNS and CC.

This has been my experience with CC, too. I emailed them and bought a couple of knifes. They were shipped that day and came to my door in the US in a few days. JNS ships super fast, too.

Great stuff so far and some additional considerations to add to the list - thanks! Couple quick questions:

Some (many?) of the knives being discussed seem to be from the same region - is the "Sanjo taper" generally considered to be a good compromise in terms of versatility?

Also, does CC sell to the US? I can't find a US shipping option, even after adding items to the cart. Related to that, is there a sticky/reference thread for recommended vendors and which regions they service?
Sanjo seems to be the most popular region here recently because of a few reasons, "Sanjo Taper" is one of them, it makes holding the knife in a pinch grip more comfortable when it comes out of the handle super thick. The back half of the knife feels very beefy while the front half feels much more nimble and agile. Also consider that not all tapers from sanjo are the same , for example Mazaki very aggresive taper vs say a Hinoura which is tapered but not as aggressive.

Another reason is that Sanjo has more of small artisan shops, worked by either just the smith or a small number of staff. People like sole proprietorship.

Each knife region has strengths and weaknesses and particular history that drove those changes in their knife design.

Another vote for Yoshikane SKD. Mazaki are also great knives, and you might be able to find a used Gengetsu around $300. I like a tapered knife because:

-the blade is stiffer than most lasers while having a nice portion of the length be very thin
-the thicker heelward portion feels more comfortable to use for heavier or more forceful cuts
-subjective and unquantified, but I like the cutting feel of the grinds on most of these knives over a heavy, convex blade or a thin, flatter ground one

Tanaka’s knives are thinner than Mazaki or Yoshikane but don’t feel fragile when I worry they might.

There's a stainless clad Mazaki on the BST right now. Looks phenomenal. It's an oversized 210 (216x51). That's what I would get if I were you.

Do buy this, it's beautiful. Nothing wrong with wakui, total bargain. I have a 210mm from EE, a bit different from the aframes nashiji (I just like migaki more than nashiji). Only bleh part is the handle, I'll probably put some burnt chestnut on there eventually.

I need to be packing for a trip, but a too-brief update -

I ended up going with the hammered Yoshikane SKD 240 from EE. It arrived a couple days ago. Substantial in-hand with balance about an inch forward of my pinch. I put it to work immediately with some guac prep for dinner. It was interesting to me that it was merely work-ably sharp OOTB, but it still went through everything much, much better than my sharper, thinner (and presumably more sticktion-prone) Miyabi.

The next morning, yesterday, I got out the stones and put a better edge on it. The following pineapple didn't stand a chance. :p

I look forward to working with it more when I get back in town. The extra 40mm (vs the Miyabi) already seems normal. The balance may take a little more getting used to - I'm kinda liking the more authoritative, slightly blade-heavy balance, but moving it back with a heavier handle is something that I'll consider as I get a better feel for it.

Thanks for the guidance and recommendations! Additional glamour shots will have to wait 'til I have more time ;)

48029901357_651e15c501_b.jpg

Back