Looking for Japanese chef 210mm s s clad carbon core

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Live in Hawaii , USA
Would like to try a stainless steel clad carbon core chef , Japanese , 210mm
Right handed
Western or J handle , lean towards western
+ - $250
Home cook
General use ,slicing & chopping vegetables , slicing meat
Current chef is 8 inch MAC MTH-80
Hasegawa Soft Cutting Board
Sharpen my own and would like to learn more

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming ...
I'm leaning toward the JKI Ikazuchi .
Ikazuchi 210mm Stainless Clad Blue Super Wa-Gyuto
I tried this knife (also sold under the Tosaichi brand) and it was a good cutter. Thin, but not too thin, just a little short at the heel for my tastes which is purely subjective. They look super cool with a patina or a forced coffee one. @enrico has a cool one below

Post in thread 'Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!' Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

For sure since you are in Honolulu I would go visit Aframes and feel up some knives before buying something. Even if you don't end up buying from him, you'll have a better sense of what you like, what weight, length, handle style, etc. There is no substitute to holding knives to know what fits you. Most of us don't have the luxury of having a store anywhere near us.

I'm sure the Ikazuchi / Tosaichi / Miura at $185 is all the knife I need .
But since my budget is + - $250 , curious if there's a step up to consider .
Also , I see that Blueway Japan has this 210mm Tosa-ichi :
Tosa-ichi Kage Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm Kurouchi Tsuchime w/Saya Japanese Knife | eBay
Seems like the same as Miura, they are all made by Hokiyama, for something really nice you can go Yoshikane SKD or Sukenari Hap40
https://knivesandstones.us/collections/hap40/products/sukenari-hap40-gyuto-210-240-mmhttps://knivesandstones.us/collecti...i-semi-stainless-clad-gyuto-210mm-240mm-270mm

Deep Impacts are excellent if they are in stock
Should be noted they come with a symmetrical edge, while the blade is as asymmetric as a Hiromoto. So some work is required. The 210 is a fantastic performer: thin behind the edge, allowing a conservative edge. 64-65Rc AS without a trace of brittleness, very finely grained. The most spectacular edge retention I've ever seen, under very harsh circumstances. The only yo-210 I've used that doesn't feel too short or too narrow.

In the spirit of KKF and upping posted budgets, Wakui does a bunch of stainless clad stuff and he's really an excellent "whole package" kinda smith. Great grinds, truly excellent f&f, nice profiles and height, distal taper...you name it.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/wakui-nashiji-white-2-gyuto-210mm?_pos=1&_sid=427aee456&_ss=r
If you're willing to be patient, JKI carries stainless-clad Kochi, they can't discloses smith but many folks here, myself included, strongly suspect Wakui is the maker. I've had several Kochi ironclads and they were all great cutters with elegant f&f.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...210mm-kurouchi-stainless-clad-carbon-wa-gyuto
Bernal carries them too.

Call me unhelpful, you’d not be the first, but here are three suggestions:

I’d try and find a Wat ss clad blue 210 for a little bit more than your budget.

TF Nashiki 210 would be good and in your budget but I’d want to make sure I got a good one; hand selected by a reputable retailer or something. Some have grind and fit issues but would be a good gateway into nice carbon core steel.

Finally, I’d recommend Ashi Ginga to just about anyone. They’re going to be mono steel (white 2 or Swedish stainless/aeb-l) but will come in under budget and have western handles available. Solid performers with little fluff.

Have you looked at either the Masakage Koishi or Yuki lines? I have both and really like them. They hold an edge, are easy to care for, and sharpen well without too much trouble.

... "nicer handle" ... you mean looking , handling , ?
Literally the version that comes with a nicer version of a wa handle. These knives are all made by the same factory and sold under different labels. Some vendors put a different handle on them, so it just depends on whether you like oval or octagonal

How do you care for the unfinished handle on the Yuki line ?
Though I gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil, any type of wood finish would work. Paste wax, shellac, even SnoSeal (the leather waterproofer) will work. Anything with a bit of wax and oil will do just fine. Frankly, I replaced it a few years later with a nicer handle. It was my first rehandle and went very well. It's an easier process than many think.

The Yuki Nakiri was my second proper Japanese knife, after a Masakage Koishi Santoku, and I recall at the time wondering whether or not the White #2 steel was somehow inferior to the AS in the Koishi. It's not, and I soon came to find that it will take whatever edge I can put on it. In other words, my sharpening ability is the limiting factor, not the steel. I'm certainly much better now, and can say that the Yuki will get, and remain, insanely sharp. Any Yuki is a great knife, at a great price, made by great craftsfolks. I'm a big fan. I still use it, by the way. It hasn't been replaced.

In either case, a +-250 budget is the real sweet spot, and you can even pick up a Kurosaki Senko with a Wa handle on that budget. You have many options. Someone earlier suggested finding someone that has many knives so that you can hold them and perhaps cut an onion or two. That's great advice.

Last edited:
Back