Maths

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, I ruled out buying Shigefusa and TF Denka, so that's an extra $2000 for me.
Note to self: Find out what a Shigefusa is, then watch videos about it, then obsess over it, then convince myself that I need one.

Why did I join this community? Why?…

This place is making wet shaving look pretty cheap.

Thus far this weekend (long weekend) I've dodged the Marko, dodged the Devin so now I have an extra $1,300, right?

Shopping.

OK … not to spoil your maths but I have a bit of a different take on this. By dodging the Marko and Devin you have $1300 in your pocket for “shopping”. So it seems to me that you will take your $1300 and buy that $300 jacket you’ve been wanting, $995 on a new flat screen … or heaven forbid some useless trinket for your wife or GF. How about an XBox for your kids or new new bikes for all. You could put the $1300 into a 401K investment plan to not be seen for decades when you retire in a state of infirmity. Worst of all you could put it into a savings account where with our new “inflation” it will disappear slowly like a cube of ice on a warm sidewalk.

…………………………………………OR!

You could have bought the Marko and Devin which will give you instant and ongoing gratification (trust me … I know). A state of happiness each time you to stop and view you Marko and Devin …. Pic please ….

6E2BA497-AB3B-4DE6-BDB4-EADE72DD5ACA.jpeg

While using them to prepare wife, GF and kids satisfying culinary delights (way better than trinkets or XBoxes). A use of funds readily convertible to cash on BST in case of emergency (try that with a new flat screen) at little or no cost!

….. AND with inflation working on your behalf you just might (if you can avoid the flipper police) just turn a small profit.

……DO ALL OF THIS AT A PROFIT!

So as I see it, your “maths” are all wrong. Now you’re depressed because it will be months before you get another chance to snag a Marko and a Devin in one week on BST. … AND Will spent a good part of your $1300 on a few bottles of decent bourbon (which is the new Scotch) … but that’s another story.

So as I see it your “maths” are synonymous with LO*ER! But who am I to judge. I bought five new knives last week.

OK … not to spoil your maths but I have a bit of a different take on this. By dodging the Marko and Devin you have $1300 in your pocket for “shopping”. So it seems to me that you will take your $1300 and buy that $300 jacket you’ve been wanting, $995 on a new flat screen … or heaven forbid some useless trinket for your wife or GF.
Brian, we know (at least I) nothing about the OP. Your maths sounds correct but only as long as he doesn’t have wife AND gf!!!

Brian, we know (at least I) nothing about the OP. Your maths sounds correct but only as long as he doesn’t have wife AND gf!!!

HA! …. Wives and GF’s … now there’s something I know something about … I’ve had three wives ….
….. and ... er …. Maybe you have a point there!

For those of you that are married, could you give me a rough estimate of how much money I've saved by not marrying yet?
Just want to know how much extra money I suddenly have to spend now that I wasn't aware of.
Evidently I've been held back by my lacking knowledge in both maths and logic.

For those of you that are married, could you give me a rough estimate of how much money I've saved by not marrying yet?
Just want to know how much extra money I suddenly have to spend now that I wasn't aware of.

"All of it."

That's how much money you have saved.

It's complicated. Before I was married I spent a ton of money in the city on booze and fast women and the rest I just squandered... <line somewhat stolen/paraphrased/revised-for-my-own-purposes from the late futballer, George Best>

A EE would say a jknife is imaginary. i think imaginary price is better.

I’m fuzzy on imaginary numbers but I’m pretty sure this means he needs to square the missing Marko and Devin in order to make them real. So he needs to now buy (Marko + Devin) * (Marko + Devin) = 2 Marko + 2 Devin + 2 Marko/Devin collabs; or they will remain forever imaginary.

That’s my maths and I’m sticking to it.

If one wants to lead a calm, reasonable life with only a modest number of knife acquisitions, one should ignore Brian's advice on such topics. :)

Bah! Screw that!

Listen @daveb, inflation is a bit...well, it's going up. Let's say 6%. So...

1300+95(.06) = 83.87.

So, really you need to spend $1478.70 to get the same value as just a short while ago. It's not your fault you have to spend more. It's just the way it is.

:)

Back