Monosteel western handle Gyuto discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way. The left face — right on the picture — is basically flat. The right one — left on the photo — is slightly curved to allow food release.
I am as blind as a bat.
I see both faces flat and the edge centered

No way. The left face — right on the picture — is basically flat. The right one — left on the photo — is slightly curved to allow food release.
I am as blind as a bat.
I see both faces flat and the edge a little in the left side on the picture.

Cool to see you ended up picking one up! They also have a 300 available : )

This is likely another OEM Ashi from what I've seen. Not certain but looks close. As much as I like the oversized gyutos, the 210 from here is probably my most used knife. KAMATA Hakensha White #2 Chef knife
That’s also an Ashi, 100% sure

That’s also an Ashi, 100% sure
If someone is looking for a carbon knife I don't think there's a better value knife. Nice steel and geo.

Here's an old pic of my 270 (another I probably shouldn't have sold 🙃) and 210 sporting healthy patinas.
IMG_20230416_103258202~3.jpg

If someone is looking for a carbon knife I don't think there's a better value knife. Nice steel and geo.

Here's an old pic of my 270 (another I probably shouldn't have sold 🙃) and 210 sporting healthy patinas.
View attachment 286715
Beautiful patinas. They looks with a lot of hours of use.
I don't want/should buy more knives but... how much they cost and who is the manufacturer?

With monosteel carbons forcing a patina is a serious option to get the steel stable before its first use.
I know, I have already some carbon steel knives. But I am creating the patina through the use.
The patina he show give the feeling they are knife with some year of use, which is great

I know, I have already some carbon steel knives. But I am creating the patina through the use.
The patina he show give the feeling they are knife with some year of use, which is great
The same result can be obtained by the judicious application of different acids.

Remember first to thoroughly degrease. After the vinegar and abundant rincing with the hottest water phosphoric acid will turn common rust into a patina. Wash with soap to neutralise.

Beautiful patinas. They looks with a lot of hours of use.
I don't want/should buy more knives but... how much they cost and who is the manufacturer?
Here's the link: KAMATA Hakensha White #2 Chef knife

Those patinas were built up mostly through laziness (ie leaving wet with food longer than I should have) and probably only a few months old then. They were pretty tame in terms of reactivity once the patina was going too.

I've found that cutting up some onion or apple scraps and resisting the temptation to rinse and dry immediately is a good way to get a patina going.

I've found that cutting up some onion or apple scraps and resisting the temptation to rinse and dry immediately is a good way to get a patina going.
A trick I've used quite often: leaving it dirty for a while, only cleaning the edge with the seem of a towel, or lightly cutting in a cork.

Ginga after more thinning, it kind bugs me they still don’t cut as well as I expected, maybe it’s just how thin knives are, they can cut open sweet potato easily but would stick on the way down, whereas a Spåre MCX has no problem at all, is it because the coarse stone finish?
View attachment 285335
After getting the Ichimonji I kind figured why it didn’t cut as I expected, the convexing is bit high and would causing the stuck. I ease it a bit and it cuts a LOT better now, next I will just ease the transition bit and smoothing out the surface on progressions
IMG_0884.jpeg

It’s ugly and and a lots of polishing work will need to be done but hi it cuts like dream now
View attachment 287041
Not that ugly, have seen much worse. Not sure evening the finish will require that much work. Something around 600-800 as an end result, both with stones and sandpaper, all parallel to the edge. You're not aiming for a mirror polish, I guess?

Bit more work on Togiharu, now it is quite a good knife, the steel is good and hard, just need bit polish one the surface.
View attachment 285199View attachment 285197
Problems solved to this one two, now cuts like proper laser, better than JCK benchmark knife I’m using. who knows the solution to trying to make a good knife is to buy another good knife…
IMG_0914.jpeg
IMG_0913.jpeg

Oh I’m a lefty, like 90% of this thread isn’t even applicable to me haha.
My options are Masahiro VC (left hand version)
Misono Swed (left hand version)
Masamoto HC (left hand version)

Oh I’m a lefty, like 90% of this thread isn’t even applicable to me haha.
My options are Masahiro VC (left hand version)
Misono Swed (left hand version)
Masamoto HC (left hand version)
Still hasn’t try the Misono, if Masamoto HC is the same as Togiharu should be fine, similar amount of work on Masahiro and Togiharu, both feels like nice and hard steel

Kind want to try Suien or Misono dragon next, Suien got quite nice steel and I can check it out in person at JKI, Misono got the dragon, hard choices… wait still I sold my stuff on BST

Latest posts

Back