My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful day to have the blues.

Markin, 52100 equivalent. No matter how much it gets used it keeps throwing up blues. Am slightly concerned about the rounded spots, irritating to consider pitting as being an option when I don’t leave knives sitting around and I store them oiled. But ah well, ‘tis the life of carbon

Attachments

• IMG_4170.jpeg
    IMG_4170.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Recently I looked closely at my Tetsujin 240 gyuto and saw that it had developed tiny spots of rust on the cladding (no pic). I cleaned the knife with Autosol and saw that there was some pitting (first pic). I sanded it with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and 2000 (didn't have any 1500) (second pic), after reading some helpful KKF threads. This was my first time doing this; the scratch pattern didn't come out anywhere close to perfect but not as bad as I had feared, so I'll count it as a success. Lost the contrast between the cladding and core steel, but this was expected. Cooked up a lamb liver to get a new patina going (last pics).
Tetsujin_rust_1.jpg
Tetsujin_rust_2.jpg
Tetsujin_rust_3.jpg
Tetsujin_rust_4.jpg

Any chemists on here? What are we looking at with these patinas? What is reacting with what and what is being formed?

Back