my go-to meal when i feel the tickle of a cold coming on.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i pushed myself really hard on my fishing kayak monday. cold wind, allergies, etc. felt "weakened". boy do i know my remedy!!

i hit up my local Korean restaurant and ordered up some Soon Du Bu Jigea. a soft tofu soup that comes in a blistering hot cauldron. spicy, hot, lots of BanChans. i immediatly felt better. took a covid test this morning to confirm being negative, and came to work feeling pretty good. tempted to go eat it again! what is yours?

jigea.jpg

Something brothy with a bit of spice. And a good nights sleep.. Glad you are felling better!

Silkie soup, beef with bitter melon, tom yum soup, tripe soup, or stuffed bitter melon soup. When under the weather mostly comfort foods hit the spot.

Lugaw! Congee, jook, rice porrige, whatever your country calls it.

It was what my parents always cooked for me when i was under the weather. Made it once for my fiancé, and ever since its her go to pick me up when shes sick.

i hit up my local Korean restaurant and ordered up some Soon Du Bu Jigea. a soft tofu soup that comes in a blistering hot cauldron. spicy, hot, lots of BanChans. i immediatly felt better. took a covid test this morning to confirm being negative, and came to work feeling pretty good. tempted to go eat it again! what is yours?

I made something similar last night: “Kongbiji Jjigae” or puréed soy beans, dashi, kimchi and pork. It’s like Soondubu for those too lazy to make tofu…
6F89B573-043D-49C5-8E0F-F4A122CB513A.jpeg

Last edited:
I miss living next to a great SoonDooBu joint soooo much. After moving out of NY/NJ area, we haven't found any that were even half as good as So Kong Dong in Fort Lee. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor and check it out. Though honestly, there are a LOT of great options in Fort Lee.

Man... I gotta learn how to make a righteous Kimchi Jigae.

I miss living next to a great SoonDooBu joint soooo much. After moving out of NY/NJ area, we haven't found any that were even half as good as So Kong Dong in Fort Lee. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor and check it out. Though honestly, there are a LOT of great options in Fort Lee.

Man... I gotta learn how to make a righteous Kimchi Jigae.
my favorite place is in Oakland CA. too far a drive now that we moved even further north.

Mines still just a classic chicken noodle, with the addition/exception of extra thick (homemade of course) stock, plenty of ginger, and a heathy spoon of chili-garlic paste in the bowl.

But good congee is right there as well, with plenty of ginger and some toasted sesame oil.

my favorite place is in Oakland CA. too far a drive now that we moved even further north.
I lived in Temescal near the Korean joints on Telegraph. We could smell the barbecue from our yard at night.
The best Soondubu I’ve had was at the OG Beverly Soon Tofu in LA Koreatown. I think they were first to serve it in US.
They made their own tofu and it was fantastic. Ate there once a week when I lived in LA. Nothing I’ve tried in Bay Area compared.
Unfortunately it closed because of Covid…
https://la.eater.com/2020/9/7/21426177/beverly-soon-tofu-koreatown-los-angeles-closing

I lived in Temescal near the Korean joints on Telegraph. We could smell the barbecue from our yard at night.
The best Soondubu I’ve had was at the OG Beverly Soon Tofu in LA Koreatown. I think they were first to serve it in US.
They made their own tofu and it was fantastic. Ate there once a week when I lived in LA. Nothing I’ve tried in Bay Area compared.
Unfortunately it closed because of Covid…
https://la.eater.com/2020/9/7/21426177/beverly-soon-tofu-koreatown-los-angeles-closing
NOOOO!! i was googlling it. i agree, the K-town in LA is epic. i once stumble into a tiny place, Cornerstone(?). best Korean BBQ i have ever had. nobody spoke English and i just ordered by pointed at other tables food.

my Temescal place is Pyeong Chang soft tofu house. its my litmus test for jigea. i am sure visiting LA would make me realign my ideas on good jigea.

NOOOO!! i was googlling it. i agree, the K-town in LA is epic. i once stumble into a tiny place, Cornerstone(?). best Korean BBQ i have ever had. nobody spoke English and i just ordered by pointed at other tables food.

my Temescal place is Pyeong Chang soft tofu house. its my litmus test for jigea. i am sure visiting LA would make me realign my ideas on good jigea.
Added it on to the list of places to try next. Looks like they have a sister restaurant in Berkeley too!

Added it on to the list of places to try next. Looks like they have a sister restaurant in Berkeley too!
good!! they do this thing with rice. it comes in a big stone bowl, and the bottom gets perfectly crispy. after you scoop out the rice, the locals have the servers pour water (tea?) into it for a side bowl of soup. i get them to scrap up this big disk of crunchy toasted rice to drop pieces into my soup. it is ridicoulous.

Back