Opinions on this cleaver, might buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not look into a veggie slicer...cck are fairly inexpensive...or you could up your game and go for a Sugimoto. The one you're looking at is meant for meat butchery vs something like standard cleaver which is more of an all around kitchen knife (basically a Chinese chefs knife).

Like in my video i posted today of the Vietnamese they use scrap 5160 auto leaf spring steel, and hand forge it. for $19 US am sure it would be useful at that price if it really gets to you it's not a bad gamble.

Like in my video i posted today of the Vietnamese they use scrap 5160 auto leaf spring steel, and hand forge it. for $19 US am sure it would be useful at that price if it really gets to you it's not a bad gamble.
Can you send me the link to your video or a place I can purchase one?

There's such a huge range of cleavers—if you like it, buy it!

Whether or not I give a recommendation, depends on your price range, what you're intending to use it for, etc. Are you looking for a meat cleaver, or general purpose cleaver in which case a Chinese veg cleaver might be more appropriate. CCK 1303 is a good, light, Chinese veg cleaver—or you can up your steel game with a Sugimoto or Suien for a price. Do you want carbon, or maybe go stainless with a Gesshin?

Personally I adore the look of old Forgecraft, but have never owned one.

Where did you find one for $19?

I have one of those Forgecraft cleavers. It's really too thin and light to be much of a meat cleaver, but it's not thin enough to be a good veggie cleaver. I only bought one to complete my set. FYI, the slicer and bullnose butcher kind of suck too. They would be more useful if they were longer.
The 8" chef, 10" chef, and the 6" boning knife are the most useful. The paring knives aren't too bad as well.

I have one of those Forgecraft cleavers. It's really too thin and light to be much of a meat cleaver, but it's not thin enough to be a good veggie cleaver. I only bought one to complete my set. FYI, the slicer and bullnose butcher kind of suck too. They would be more useful if they were longer.
The 8" chef, 10" chef, and the 6" boning knife are the most useful. The paring knives aren't too bad as well.
I've really wanted some Forgecraft knives for years, but mainly attracted to them for the rustic looks and history of the knives. In my kitchen they'd probably end up not being used much, but happily kept as wonderful objects in my collection.

There's such a huge range of cleavers—if you like it, buy it!

Whether or not I give a recommendation, depends on your price range, what you're intending to use it for, etc. Are you looking for a meat cleaver, or general purpose cleaver in which case a Chinese veg cleaver might be more appropriate. CCK 1303 is a good, light, Chinese veg cleaver—or you can up your steel game with a Sugimoto or Suien for a price. Do you want carbon, or maybe go stainless with a Gesshin?

Personally I adore the look of old Forgecraft, but have never owned one.
I'm looking more for a veg cleaver, I was just looking at the CCK 1303 before I got back on the forms, I'll be sure to check out the gesshin too though

-Josh

I'm looking more for a veg cleaver, I was just looking at the CCK 1303 before I got back on the forms, I'll be sure to check out the gesshin too though

-Josh
I would recommend the medium size 1302 CCK over the 1303 if you are going to be doing much Asian cooking. The 1301 is a real beast that should probably be left to the pro Chinese chefs.

That's a lot for a not so great Forgecraft cleaver. The chef knives are not bad & look cool but are overpriced for what they are. That cleaver is kind of a in between that does not work well for anything.

For around 100.00 you can get a Sugimoto stainless or a 1303CCK that still only cost 55.00 here in Chinatown. Both these cleavers actually work.

I have a CCK 1303 on order. Will bring it back with me from the US in August. (I was too stingy to pay for shipping from the US, which would have been almost as much as the cost of the cleaver. And I couldn't find one Down Under.)

Guess I'll check out the 1303, I do work in a vietnamese kitchen

Cool, I'm interested to hear what style knives are being used by your co-workers? May be something decent you could get (for much less than a cck) that works well for that style food prep... that being said my preference is more like cck 1102.

Cool, I'm interested to hear what style knives are being used by your co-workers? May be something decent you could get (for much less than a cck) that works well for that style food prep... that being said my preference is more like cck 1102.
They all own expensive jknives

Latest posts

Back