Price, F&F be damned

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your best cutter? F&F, price, cache´ be damned.

what am I cutting?

my personal diet is pretty inspired by the shows/books I learned to cook out of, which means French and Italian. Unless someone was often working with the same ingredients as me, I dont think my choice for best cutter would necessary match theirs.

The answer is Shi.Han though.

Kippington laser-pony & my mid-weight Yanick for me - two knives that work for anything and everything.

Honorable mentions go to Birgerrsson & Unshu Yukimitsu for making superb lasery low bevels with sublime steel (now that I mention it these two makers share a LOT of similar DNA) and also RDG for the 245 convex gyuto I'm trying to finish the polish on soon.

Lot of other knives that I LOVE to use but maybe aren't are breathlessly good at everything.

Bit boring answer, but Shi.Han, Kippington and Migoto shinogi for me... But rest of the gang are really close, Spåre MCX AU, Toyama Nakiri/ gyuto, Gesshin Ginga, Unshu Yukimitsu, Birgersson

Last edited:
Thin knife: Kippington laser. Honourable mention: Akebono. 2nd honourable mention: Martell O1 (note that mine is a little thicker grind than most of them, but still quite thin).

In this category, I value good wedging resistance without sacrificing all food release.

MIdweight knife: Kippington hook. Honourable mention: Tristone double convex. 2nd honourable mention: Gengetsu.

In this category, I value a well executed trade-off between thinness and food release.

Heavyweight: Tansu Workhorse. Honourable mention: Watoyama ironclad. 2nd honourable mention: Yoshikane Tsuchime (note some of the Tsuchimes are pretty thin).

In this category, I value food release.

Wow, a lot of customs in this list...

There are a number of knives that could get third honourable mentions.

Last edited:
Current on the rack, amongst other best cutters-Kipp, Bidinger and ShiHan. Can't say about Yanicks since I haven't got one, yet. Maybe one day..

Lol, this is like name your favorite child.

In order of hardest to easiest to keep well tuned up, which though this isn't the question is also worst F&F to best:

Denka

Old school Fuji Bunka

New school Haburn wide bevel

For pure performance it’s between the iron clad 225 wat, which is an absurdly good cutter for reasons I haven’t fully grasped, and the kemadi cleaver which is a monster.

shihan in AEBL is a great daily driver, since it doesn’t care about ingredient acidity. But my goto remains the markin mega horse because it’s like cutting things with an iron bar that comically still outperforms most of the collection while being 3x as thick. Makes monkey brain happy.

Thinner knives: Kipp laser beats everything, but BBxD, Kono MM, and Eddworks really good too.

Thicker knives: Kipp WP, Wat Pro IC, Shihan.

Square knives: thinned CCK 1303 outperforms anything in it's price range by a pretty hefty margin.

Similar to some other responses here but my favourites have been :

Light weight: Kipp laserpony, Bidinger thin grind
Medium weight: Yanick, Kipp workpony, Bidinger B-grind, Milan
Heavy weight: Bidinger WH, Milan WH, Kamon gigantoku *not quite as effortless on these but the best I've had in workhorses

Back