Recipe ideas for test cut carrots (and other produce)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderBear

Reaction score
I bought lots of big-ish carrots to test out and compare a few knives. Problem is, I have no idea what I can make with thinly sliced carrots. I would appreciate any ideas.

If you have other recipes you use when test cutting stuff, please share them as well! Thank you

Cream of carrot or carrot ginger soup? For onions, soubise or French onion soup or sukiyaki. If I'm just cutting onion with no real purpose then I just caramelize them and save for various dishes later. Carrot I usually don't use in my cooking in bulk since the flavor can be overpowering. Thin slices won't do well for mirepoix for instance but if you wanted to do brunoise you can use it alongside brunoise onion and celery for the raft in consomme. There are certainly more inventive recipes as well.

Cream of carrot or carrot ginger soup? For onions, soubise or French onion soup or sukiyaki. If I'm just cutting onion with no real purpose then I just caramelize them and save for various dishes later. Carrot I usually don't use in my cooking in bulk since the flavor can be overpowering. Thin slices won't do well for mirepoix for instance but if you wanted to do brunoise you can use it alongside brunoise onion and celery for the raft in consomme. There are certainly more inventive recipes as well.

Soup is a good idea, but pretty hard for me to bring to work for lunch. I'm thinking I can try turning the slices into chips, but I've never tried it before

Last night's stir fry is a good mix of really whatever you want to cut up!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

The stock idea is the one I thought of. I never throw mild vegetable scraps away or onions. Pt them in the freezer and add onions celery parsley stems potato bits garlic and put in a stockpot and you have delicious stock.

Carrot salad. Hear me out. Sounds weird, but is pretty good. It can be bottled.
Cook 2lbs of thinly sliced carrots in salted water. Drain, add a thinly sliced onion and a small dice green pepper. 1 can of tomato soup ( like Campbell’s). 1/2 cup each: oil, sugar, vinegar. Pinch of salt. Chill and eat next day or bottle and save

I'd most likely use test cuts for stir frys and fried rice. Garnish for salads, mirepox, soups/stocks as well. Depending on the size, you can roast them or just eat them as carrot sticks.

Oh, if theyre fine juilenne, you can saute them with some eggs, soy sauce and a pinch of salt, sugar and pepper to taste and serve over rice.

Carrot salad. Hear me out. Sounds weird, but is pretty good. It can be bottled.
Cook 2lbs of thinly sliced carrots in salted water. Drain, add a thinly sliced onion and a small dice green pepper. 1 can of tomato soup ( like Campbell’s). 1/2 cup each: oil, sugar, vinegar. Pinch of salt. Chill and eat next day or bottle and save

my mom makes carrot salad with apples, raisins, and mayonnaise

I remember this too—an old school classic!

Korean carrot salad (popular in Russia and Central Asia) is an excuse to cut an isht ton of carrots thinly.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/morkovcha-russian-korean-carrot-salad-50190498/amp

There’s a french version with lemon and parsley too. I make something like this a lot. The last one I made was dressed with lemon, parsley, fresh turmeric and pureed dates. It’d also be good with a miso dressing, like that carrot-miso salad dressing that you get a lot at Japanese restaurants in the states.

One of my favorite hot sauce is made with Habaneros and carrots...you can roast the carrots first or do the whole thing stovetop in vinegar...add what you like but consider heavy garlic and a bit of onion or shallot a necessity.

Lots of savory ideas so maybe a blended carrot smoothie or juice? Add fruit/ginger/turmeric if you need extra flavor

After a fine (longitudinal) slice, julienne them. Then fine dice for a soffrito for a ragu.
+1
Not just testing the knife but also improving knife skills at the same time.
Julienne carrots also can be pickle (add a good extra flavour to sandwiches and salad)
Also can try making coleslaw, kimchi, thai salad most need a lot of cutting which you can use to test the knife and also improving you skills at the same time

Thank you all. I really like the pickle ideas. How long does pickled carrots last?

I need to look up more Middle Eastern carrot salads ideas as well.

With my experience, it stay crunchy for 1week. More than that it getting softer and the pickling liquid start to change colour (orangish)
Depends on the thickness of the cuts but It usually last to at least a month

my mom makes carrot salad with apples, raisins, and mayonnaise

Same here, but we didn't use the apples.

One of my favorite hot sauce is made with Habaneros and carrots...you can roast the carrots first or do the whole thing stovetop in vinegar...add what you like but consider heavy garlic and a bit of onion or shallot a necessity.

I don't know if its the same thing, but one of my favorite hot sauces is Yellowbird Habanero. Made with carrots and citrus.

Thank you all. I really like the pickle ideas. How long does pickled carrots last?

I need to look up more Middle Eastern carrot salads ideas as well.

I often put julienne carrots in a sauerkaraut (or sometimes a kimchi-flavoured sauerkraut- I use a fermentation pot rather than a traditional kimchi technique). It lasts many months in the fridge.

Pickled carrots last for months. That is the entire purpose to pickling: to preserve for storage and later use. I make bread & butter pickled carrots to snack on. I have a couple jars in my fridge right now. I made them back in July, along with some regular bread & butter pickles. Still crunchy & delicious.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNSYaNBttXXYknBOuq5oIi_OoYEjGg:1578573898957&ei=SiAXXqOHOoKQtAag_azQCg&q=How+long+do+pickled+carrots+last?&oq=How+long+do+pickled+carrots+last?&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0j0i22i30l4.40129.40129..41183...0.2..0.80.80.1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.......0i71.AQ99NeEoXqM&ved=0ahUKEwij1P6DxvbmAhUCCM0KHaA-C6oQ4dUDCAo

I love this idea. Can you share your bread & butter pickled carrot recipe?

Latest posts

Back