Recommend A Killer Gyuto for My Most Intense Professional Job Yet!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a professional so take everything here with that grain of salt; I contemplated not even replying but I think these pics might help since you like to rock, and these knives have a little more belly that makes them very comfortable for that.

Makoto Kurosaki "Ryusei" VG7 steel. Fully stainless, mine is a 210, I've honestly contemplated buying the 240 too. Excellent rocker, slicey and fun, struggles on butternut squash with stiction but is great on everything else I've thrown at it, onions, potatoes, chiffonade herbs, and its a good meat slicer. VG7 is quite a tough steel and I've been impressed with edge retention, particularly because it's my wife's favorite too and she's...harder than I am on knives. Not a laser, light-midweight category, thin behind the edge but not delicate at all. Flows over board instead of biting in to it.
20221217_091115.jpg

On board, raised heel makes it feel really fluid
20221217_091237.jpg

Next we have the Shigeki Tanaka Ginsan 240. It feel pretty similar to the Makoto Ryusei though f&f isn't as good. 10 minutes of sandpaper on the choil and spine fixed everything though. Ginsan/silver 3/ginsanko is easy to sharpen to a nice edge with good edge retention. Great for potatoes, butternut squash champion, onions, scallions, and is my favorite garlic mincer. Only thing it leaves to be desired is very very fine shallot work on tip.

20221217_091332.jpg

Flat resting on heel
20221217_091317.jpg

Lastly is the Munetoshi 240 in shirogami #2. It's not very reactive, I set a steak patina at first and then it's basically held that with no intrusion from any acidic ingredients. There's more variability to Munetoshi's stuff, I seemed to have gotten a great one. I really love the profile and despite its heft and thickness in a choil shot, it outperforms the Makoto and Tanaka on fine tip work. It has excelled with every ingredient I've thrown at it: meat, onions, shallots, potatoes, squash, and garlic. I really dig this knife. Excellent bang for buck, needed spine and choil rounding. Other members here have commented on how tough his knives are, though I can't speak personally on that.

20221217_091204.jpg

20221217_091210.jpg

I hope this helped some. All of these knives are good for rocking or push/pull cutting, I don't vertically chop so can't speak to that.

Was kinda wondering about this as well. The more I look into Yoshikane, the more I feel like I would just be chipping it all the time at work. Not from negligence, but just from not being incredibly careful with every cut I make. Would you say this is a characteristic of all very hard knives that are also decently thin BTE? How do you think a Toyama would compare, for example?
Congrats on your new job. Please keep in mind that true Michelin style restaurants are all about precision cuts (along with everything else! ) and being able to replicate them. Yeah, you better be fast, but speed and volume at the expense of doing exactly what your boss wants won't be what they are looking for. A new knife at a new job would be great, but I might suggest that your new job itself may lead you to your best choice.

Was kinda wondering about this as well. The more I look into Yoshikane, the more I feel like I would just be chipping it all the time at work. Not from negligence, but just from not being incredibly careful with every cut I make. Would you say this is a characteristic of all very hard knives that are also decently thin BTE? How do you think a Toyama would compare, for example?
Toyama comes with a “zero edge” out of the box so it would be about as delicate as a Yoshikane in terms of the edge chipping a bit until you put your initial edge on it which should stabilize things. It’s a great prep knife though.

Honestly, if you’re really concerned about chipping, you can get both a Munetoshi White 2 and a Kaeru SLD stainless 240 mm gyutos from Japanese Natural Stones right now for under $400 total with the 10% sale. Both great workhorse knives with good weight behind them and it gives you a full carbon and a stainless option. They’re both also known to be on the tougher side. Munetoshi originally made axes and sickles and there’s a video out there of the Kaeru being used to cut through a chicken carcass without damage. A bit extreme, but it gets the point across. Yoshikane is a better “pure cutter” than either of them, but they obviously hold up better to some abuse.

I was literally about to write this comment. Shihan's knives are tough, good cutters, versatile profile. Honestly the regular 52100 is pretty calm too. I know @Malcolm Johnson used his 210 as a line knife for a while.
I wish I would have kept it. That knife was totally killer and not super reactive.

not a pro here, but if the yoshikane is tempting, you should look into nihei: his knives are VERY yoshikane-ish, but seems to be more forgiving when it comes to rock chopping. i have a konosuke sumiiro (nihei) and it has the fat spine, thin edge, great cutting feel, but lacks the door-stop-feel if you rock it. the sld steel is really easy to care for compared to full carbon.

personally, as much as i like to hold and manoeuvre a fat spine / thin edge knife … i definitely prefer a more laser-ish (thin spine) knife for less laid back cooking (high volume + precision + speed). a thin grind can 'feel' sharp and fall thru (some) food even with a somewhat dull edge.

I would third Shi.Han AEB-L, 52100 or A2, bit expansive and there is a wait, but his knives are not only just tough, but also great cutters, they cuts perfectly, outperforming alot of lasers I had. He works with culinary professionals in his hometown, I think that might be why his knives are so perfect for the job.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...ducts/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-teak-handle
https://realsharpknife.com/search?q=munetoshiThese guys had Munetoshi 270's for very cheap a few months back but you start soon so it'll be what's available.

270 ginsan above or a 270 munetoshi would be my choice. Spend less, work them out, grow your skills, find out what you like, buy more as you care to but you won't need another prep knife. If you're used to 240's that may be the ticket as you get your bearings in a new kitchen but personally I prefer bigger knives.

I'd get something for the line like a takamura chromax 210 or 180. It'll do all your delicate prep and citrus prep just fine and do a great job chiffing herbs, slicing proteins, etc. when you're working on a small sandwich board or in a tight area. No need right now for a suji or something.

You'll be soaking up a lot of info, so babying your knives and learning a new geometry may not be the best bet in that scenario which is why I'd lean toward stainless.

If you're looking for something nice, stainless, strong performer, but most importantly durable, I highly recommend the Nakagawa wide bevel ginsan. I reach for my stainless when I don't want to think about leaving it sitting. Two of the top ones I've used are the Myojin SG2 and Nakagawa ginsan. I decided to keep the Myojin because I'm not a professional and prefer the more lasery feel. But the Nakagawa was a really hard one to let go of. For a professional setting, I think it would be excellent (provided you can trust it around your coworkers).

The prices have also come down on it since I purchased mine. I think I paid around $400, but I've seen them recently around the low $300s or less.

Hi Folks. I'm looking at making a substantial investment into a Japanese Gyuto that I can use for just about everything at a new job I'm about to start. I currently work at a high volume modern steakhouse, but will be moving to a Michelin & James Beard level kitchen in about a month or so. While there will still be lots of knife work to do (no real prep crew, cooks show up at noon and prep just about everything and then work through dinner service), I'm assuming that there will be a higher emphasis on precision than I'm used to, and also probably a slightly lower emphasis on speed and prepped volume than I'm used to. I'd say I have about average knife skills, but I've only been cooking professionally for about two years so I'd like to think that I'm still in a constant state of improvement. I'd like to invest in a high-end, well regarded gyuto as I start this position, and if I have to grow into it a bit skill-wise, that's ok. I am confident in my ability to grow while using the knife. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Ideally, I would like to be able to purchase this knife sometime in the next month or two. So, if it's not available right now, that's ok, but I can't afford to sit around for more than 5-6 weeks searching for it.

As per the standards, my knife questionnaire is below. DISCLAIMER: I am fairly new to this forum, and I have tried my best to talk about the things that I've learned from reading other's posts. If I am misinformed about a concept, please feel free to correct me. I feel specifically ill-informed in the grind department as I've mentioned in a previous post. I have no idea how to tell how Myojin/Kyuzo/Mazaki/etc are going to feel/perform compared to one another. I am in admiration of everyone here who has internalized so much knowledge specific to how different smiths and sharpeners around the world are producing knives that differ from one another.

With that aside...

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle, though I would use a yo-handle if it was considered to be an essential part of the experience (as some people say for their TF's)

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm (Would also consider 270mm, but leaning 240)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, but this knife will be my daily driver during both prep and service, so it would help if it was not the most reactive knife EVER. While my intention is to be vigilant about wiping down and overall care of the knife (as I am with my current knives), things happen during busy services and I cannot guarantee that there will be no moments in which the knife has something acidic on it longer than it otherwise should. All that being said, would like to avoid stainless clad.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$600, but would ideally stay closer to $500

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional Environment - morning prep shifts and dinner service, 50 hrs/week.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All around use from vegetables to herbs to proteins. Chopping and slicing of vegetables, chiffonade herbs, mincing various items, trimming and portioning meat and fish. Will NOT be used for bone, joints, frozen items, hard cheeses, highly abrasive items, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I currently alternate between using my Yoshihiro AS 240mm Gyuto (Stainless Clad) and a New West Knife Works 9" Chefs Knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I am primarily a rocker with some push cutting and draw cuts mixed in. I am trying, however, to incorporate more of the latter two. I would like the knife I buy to have at least SOME degree of ability to rock, even if it is primarily suited to push cuts. This is what scares me about Yoshikane knives, for example - I've read that the large flat section makes rock chopping pretty difficult. I am open and flexible to ideas/criticism regarding this mindset - would hate to miss out on a great knife just because I couldn't adapt to a different cutting style.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I enjoy both of them in their own way, but both are lacking in many departments. The F&F of the Yoshihiro is decent, but it's too light and not quite tall enough for me. The NWKW 9" has a bit more heft and I like the profile, but working with the S35VN has been meh for me. The grinds on both knives leave a lot to be desired - both are rather thick BTE and yet somehow feel daintier than I'd like.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Honestly my intention is to favor performance over aesthetics in almost all regards. I'd rather a knife have better food release (less stiction?) than have a super cool finish.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
All of my desires regarding F&F aspects, including handle, rounding of the spine, etc. are geared towards comfort during all-day use. I don't really care about the aesthetic, but I would like it to be comfortable to grip and use for long periods of time.

Geometry/Specifications:
Though I've yet to own a knife like this, I think I'm looking for something that is decently thin BTE but has enough heft to it that it is just starting to get that feeling of "falling" through food. Not a true workhorse grind, but one that, despite it's cutting performance, FEELS like it doesn't have to be babied.

Theoretically between 3.5-5mm spine thickness at the heel, and no less than 50mm height at the heel.

I honestly do not know much about types of grinds - from what I've read it seems like a Convex, Wide-Bevel, or even S-Grind could all be desirable for different reasons. I would love to hear opinions on what these different grinds bring to the table and see different recommendations with different grinds, if anyone feels that it's warranted.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I do not currently possess the skills to thin a knife, reprofile, re-finish, round a choil or spine, etc. I DO possess the skills to get the knife sharp on the stones, though. So while I don't need it to be super sharp OOTB, I do not want to have to thin it or reprofile it, I'd rather it come the way that I want it. That's not to say I don't want to learn how to do those things, just don't feel ready to experiment quite yet.

In regards to performance, again, I'd like it to have outstanding cutting performance - ideally a good balance between razor sharpness but also solid food release. I know a lot of that has to do with the grind, thinness behind the edge vs convexity for food release (PLEASE STOP ME IF I'M SPOUTING BS, I'M NEW TO THIS). Ideally I'd like to have a balance between both.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Right now, my routine is to sharpen once per week. I do not need the knife to stay SCREAMING sharp for the entire work week. I would however, like a knife that can stay serviceably (above-average) sharp for the duration of the week, with stropping maintenance as necessary.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood at home, probably synthetic at work.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
I am interested in improving regardless, I think I can get a very very sharp edge, but I feel like the durability of my edges are not great. Does not feel like my knives stay screaming sharp for more than a few knife projects.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. I currently own and use in tandem: SG500, King 1000/6000, Naniwa Chosera 3000, Naniwa Snow White 8000
Since I sharpen in a few Michelin kitchen I note that space is often limited larger knives & k-tips usually receive tip damage I would say that a max size of 220mm I would also recommend not super hard steels softer steels = less chip damage easier to sharpen such as carbon or stainless clad Shirogami 2 mono steel carbon steel or even Swedish stainless steel .

I would third Shi.Han AEB-L, 52100 or A2, bit expansive and there is a wait, but his knives are not only just tough, but also great cutters, they cuts perfectly, outperforming alot of lasers I had. He works with culinary professionals in his hometown, I think that might be why his knives are so perfect for the job.
Fourth the Shihan AEB-L suggestion, the knife will be at the top end of OP's budget but well worth it. Shihan's default grind is robust and tough, the profile also lend itself for rocking. Shihan can also accomodates custom requests to a degree. Trainied in Japan with Ashi Hamono and made in New Mexico.

Cons I can think of is, it may be a bit expensive for a first knife. It's a bit heavy compared to other gyutos but doubt it would be a problem for a pro. Also will need to reachout and see if Shihan is forging and finishing some blades soon enough for OP's timeline.

Just gotta say I am overwhelmed (in a good way!) by the responsiveness of everyone here. One broad thing that I think I’m learning from everyone’s responses is that personal preference plays a HUGE part in determining what knives are “good” for a given task. Before I started reading this forum a few months ago, I would have thought that there would be general agreement on which knives are best suited for any situation. I see know that it is much more complex than that.

That being said, I am shifting my focus to a Shihan AEB-L, Munetoshi 270, and a Toyama (still would be cool to find one of the iron clad ones). From what I’ve read from y’all, it seems like these are gonna provide the sturdy feel that I’m looking for while also still being great cutters.

Also definitely thinking of taking peoples’ advice and investing in a petty or smaller gyuto. Probably Chromax.

Just gotta say I am overwhelmed (in a good way!) by the responsiveness of everyone here. One broad thing that I think I’m learning from everyone’s responses is that personal preference plays a HUGE part in determining what knives are “good” for a given task. Before I started reading this forum a few months ago, I would have thought that there would be general agreement on which knives are best suited for any situation. I see know that it is much more complex than that.

That being said, I am shifting my focus to a Shihan AEB-L, Munetoshi 270, and a Toyama (still would be cool to find one of the iron clad ones). From what I’ve read from y’all, it seems like these are gonna provide the sturdy feel that I’m looking for while also still being great cutters.

Also definitely thinking of taking peoples’ advice and investing in a petty or smaller gyuto. Probably Chromax.
I love my Munetoshi 270, but it might be out of stock for a while and it runs kind of long. I think it’s actually like 275 mm. So maybe consider 240 unless you know you’re going to have space for it. Makes a regular size cutting board look small:

Not much to add to all the other suggestions and comments above, but one more maker for you to look at:

Brian Hanson is a former chef turned knifemaker. His “standard line” is for line chefs and ground a bit thicker than his higher end offerings. He made me a 180 with stainless cladding and thinner grind which I love, and it was <$300. He’s a super nice guy and very responsive on instagram if you have questions or decide on something customized.

https://bhknives.com/collections/the-daily-companion

If you’re a rocker avoid getting the Yoshikane, it’s not good at rocking at all.

I also wish there’s one knife that can do it all, but so far there’s none IME. Maby a Magnacut Devin Thomas can do it, but the price range is high.

It’s always fun to have more than 1 knife. One for abusive tasks, one for high precision cut tasks.

Nope, sorry. Sold (to me). But put up a WTB and see what happens! Not a pro, but worked in restaurants for about seven years in my younger days (short order cook, dishwasher, etc.) so have a general idea of the situation, and if I had to take one of my knives into a pro kitchen tomorrow this would be the one.

(Edit) I don't mean to imply that I know what it's like to work in a Michelin starred restaurant just because I used to make heaps of breakfast burritos! But the Shihan is a precise cutter (as well as tough, solid-feeling, and not overly reactive), and I say that as a Yoshikane owner. Not sure how 52100 does with acidic ingredients, I use Kaeru SLD for citrus, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that.

Last edited:
Let me also say, if you can sharpen, you can thin and you can definitely smooth spines and choils. Spines and choils are super easy. Wrap some sand paper around a marker or clamp the knife in a vice (sides protected) and "shoe shine" style it or even roll the spine across a stone and use the stone's edge for the choil. It's not hard at all and a little makes a big difference. Tape up the blade of you're concerned about scratching something accidentally.

Thinning is also not hard. Now, thinning and still looking pretty, that's a learned skill for sure. But thinning here and there for performance is not difficult. It's basically sharpening but at a much lower angle. :)

I say all this as going into a high end restaurant, maybe spending a bundle on a new single knife isn't the best idea.

As others have said, the conditions, your tasks, and your personal preference are all likely to have an influence on what you ultimately like.

But, if you can wring performance out of less expensive blade, now you have a ton of options and can try a couple different ones in case the first doesn't fit right.

I'm channeling my inner @stringer and thinking about his pro knives and his emphasis on performance.

Just some more things to ponder.

Looking forward to what you choose and hearing about your new job and how your new knife is working.

👍

Last edited:

The Takamura VG-10 would be good alternative to the Chromax. There's lots of options out there. Whatever you get, I'd definitely recommend something large petty/small Gyuto that's stainless or semi-stainless. For the line and cutting acidic ingredients.

So you hopefully know your new job better than me.
But I have staged and worked in Michelin Star places. A lot of them don't leave you the space for a 240. I like around 240s the most but in these places worked a 180mm usually. For Service I like a 210-230 Suji, low Gyutohiki the best.
Maybe get an AEB-L Jamison Chopp and an Ashi Ginga Petty/Suji

Not sure about this one knife to rule them all concept. I’ve worked both 1 star and 3 Michelin on the Pellegrino and I had to use multiple knives in those places. You’ll need a tourne you can abuse, a petty that can be both a board and hand knife and even have a beater for that moment you have to crack something you don’t want to use your $600 gyuto on like a coconut. Just saying to be prepared to have a good versatile kit vs just one knife.

1. I'm not a pro
2. I've owned and used well over 200 different blades over the years so have some experience with a lot of different blades, steels, shapes, grinds, etc.
3. I do cook at lot and knife/sharpening skills are OK.

So take that for what you will. Based on your notes, I'd recommend two:

I highly recommend Shi.Han stuff for a one knife kit doing a lot of stuff. So that makes it +5 for Shi.Han? Great convex grind, great heat treat, and a good balanced shape for various types of cutting styles. I have a 210 AEB-L if you want to try out his AEB-L - DM me.

I have also really come to love my Gesshin Blazen 240 R2 Western. It continues to impress me and I believe JKI has one available right now. Blazen Ryu 240mm Gyuto (No Saya) - can't go wrong with stainless clad R2 in a heavy use environment.

I have an upper World 50 Best/3 Michelin star cook background before turning knife maker/private chef.

If you're going to be doing a lot of veg prep with nice brunoise and julienne, grab a Watanabe pro nakiri and sharpen your current gyuto. You'll be covered for basically everything.

Once you get settled in your station and figure out your daily and weekly prep and then find out what your next purchase should be.

Any leftover cash can go for bonus stuff for a fine dining place. Grab a thermapen, meat/cake tester, mandolin, couple pairs of jb prince tweezers, scale, offset spatula.

I have an upper World 50 Best/3 Michelin star cook background before turning knife maker/private chef.

If you're going to be doing a lot of veg prep with nice brunoise and julienne, grab a Watanabe pro nakiri and sharpen your current gyuto. You'll be covered for basically everything.

Once you get settled in your station and figure out your daily and weekly prep and then find out what your next purchase should be.

Any leftover cash can go for bonus stuff for a fine dining place. Grab a thermapen, meat/cake tester, mandolin, couple pairs of jb prince tweezers, scale, offset spatula.

On a side note, if you don't already follow Ryan on IG, you absolutely should. The stuff he shared from his Singapore trip was awesome.

Akifusa SRS15
Manaka ATS34
Kobayashi
Nigara SG2
Masamoto KS Swedish steel

Those are my recommendations for heavy duty professional knives.

I would add Ogata or Shiro Kamo in R2, probably in 240. They run tall and will have terrific retention for bulk prep. Fully stainless, great grinds. Then I'd get something smaller for the line. Takamura Chromax is tougher than the red-handled R2.

I’m following this thread because I enjoy reading what the pros use. It seems like every pro chef l have met loves to keep a Mac in their knife kit but I don’t see much love for them on the forums.

Back