Recommendations on a gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sousp

Reaction score
Hi all, FNG here.
I recently picked up a little Takamura Chromax 130mm petty, and I'm quite enjoying it. But upon showing it to my chef, he said "What are you doing!? Let me buy your next knife, it's already in the budget." So I'm unexpectedly in the market again, with a larger budget than I would normally have (He said "something reasonable, $200-400" but didn't balk when I showed him a knife that was a tad over that).

For background, I'm a sous chef at a university dining hall/catering kitchen (two operations out of one kitchen). I've been cooking for about 15 years. I have a couple carbon knives in addition to a cast of unremarkable stainless beaters. They include a Daovua bunka (175-180mm?) I acquired to see if I was up to taking care of reactive/carbon knives and to learn to sharpen on (it's been quite butchered by my early attempts), and a Shinko Seilan AS Nakiri 180mm, and the petty mentioned above. So I figure it's about time I get a proper gyuto.

For sharpening, as mentioned I'm still quite a novice (looking forward to learning more here), but I have access at work to a tri-stone contraption with unknown stones, and my chef's Wicked Edge. I plan on continuing to use the tri-stones to practice free hand with my other knives, while this new one will get the Wicked Edge until I'm more confident in my technique.

The issue I run into in shopping for this new knife is that I don't have the requisite hands-on experience to have developed preferences in terms of grind, steel, etc. I'm trying to avoid thus defaulting to shopping on aesthetics. I'd normally be considering my max budget to be 200-250 USD, so I'm getting a considerable bump here. I wonder if I would be best suited by acquiring the ideal expression (within budget) of either end of the "workhorse/laser" dichotomy, and thus getting a good feel for my preferences, or going for a more middle of the road knife?

-Utah, United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
-Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
-Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-I'm leaning 240mm, as my better knives are all on the shorter end, but I could be convinced to go 210mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400-450 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Pro

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-General prep i.e. slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables, slicing/trimming meats, obviously avoiding tasks with bones, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-None/stainless chef knife beaters

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
-Push/pull, some rock chop, though I'm comfortable adjusting as needed

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better cutting performance, edge retention, comfort and aesthetics are a bonus

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
-Wood. Synthetics are common in my kitchen, but this knife will be getting the queen treatment

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
-Yes, but need improvement

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
-Absolutely

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
-Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I have had my eye on a few knives I'll list here which I'd love insight - or correction - on (all 240mm unless otherwise noted).

-Konosuke HD2: May seem a bit basic or pedestrian for the budget, I guess? But the semi-stainless would lend itself better to a big busy kitchen, though I am a bit more inclined toward more reactive carbon steel, and comfortable keeping it dry. It never hurts to have a stainless "ol' reliable."

-Mutsumi Hinoura Ajikataya Shirogami #2: White #2 steel & carbon cladding for that patina, a grind that seems like it would lend itself well to learning sharpening/thinning/etc eventually (Correct me if I'm wrong), the profile appeals to me though I could see myself gaining a preference for a flatter one (maybe a different knife down the road), and I'm inclined toward kurouchi & nashiji finishes.

-Konosuke MB White #2: Both Konosuke & Mutsumi Hinoura involved. White #2 steel with stainless cladding. Seems like a solid compromise between the 2 above, though I don't know how much this knife leans one way or another, or if it's worth the extra money compared to the above.

-Hado Sakai Sumi: White #2 again (I swear I don't actually know enough to have a steel preference here, White 2 just keeps showing up), seems like quite a thin grind. Could be wrong again, but seems less a compromise than others in terms of a "workhorse/laser." Perhaps a good knife to test which end of that spectrum I'm inclined towards?

-Nigara SG2 Kurouchi Tsuchime
-Suishin Inox Honyaki
-Nakagawa Ginsan
-Sakai Kikumori Kikuzuki Rin

Thanks if you made it this far, looking forward to responses and learning a lot here at KKF (and eventually buying a lot more knives!).

Last edited:
White 2 sharpens up real nice but tends to be lower on the spectrum for edge retention. Might be ok if you’re practicing sharpening though.

I personally really like Wakui white 2. The stainless clad migaki is a great cutter with more midweight to laserish grind. Another option to check out.

Prices have gone up recently but still worth it imo.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/...75453&pr_ref_pid=7050979344445&pr_seq=uniform
Edit: this is also a very good deal. Toyama is more workhorse but cut great. The blue 2 steel is top notch as well. WTS - Toyama 240mm KU stainless gyuto - BNIB

Last edited:
The HD2 is a nice knife and it's a short 240, so it wouldn't seem a big jump from a 210, if you're concerned about that. The HD2 are pretty lasery, though, so as long as you're confortable on the thinner end of the spectrum...
Thanks! As I said, I have little to no experience developing a preference to workhorse or laser or gyutos in general. I'd like to try a couple knives in either category, but I've only got the budget for one (for now). I'll keep this in mind thinking on the HD2.
White 2 sharpens up real nice but tends to be lower on the spectrum for edge retention. Might be ok if you’re practicing sharpening though.

I personally really like Wakui white 2. The stainless clad migaki is a great cutter with more midweight to laserish grind. Another option to check out.

Prices have gone up recently but still worth it imo.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/...75453&pr_ref_pid=7050979344445&pr_seq=uniform
Edit: this is also a very good deal. Toyama is more workhorse but cut great. The blue 2 steel is top notch as well. WTS - Toyama 240mm KU stainless gyuto - BNIB
Thanks for the heads up on those! I understand both are well regarded here.

Edit to ask: Would the Toyama's asymmetric grind present much of an issue for a novice sharpener like me, or is it something of a non-issue?

I'd go for the Toyama in a hot second, but I'm not a pro. I can guess that the better edge retention of the blue steel would be a big plus, and the somewhat-workhorse nature of it would be helpful in a professional setting, both for durability and because I find lasers a bit fatiguing. I have a Toyama 240, and love it -- great cutter. I have not noticed any asymmetry in mine, and I don't see it in the choil shot at the link, so if it's there, it's pretty minimal, and hard to imagine it would represent a sharpening challenge.

I'd go for the Toyama in a hot second, but I'm not a pro. I can guess that the better edge retention of the blue steel would be a big plus, and the somewhat-workhorse nature of it would be helpful in a professional setting, both for durability and because I find lasers a bit fatiguing. I have a Toyama 240, and love it -- great cutter. I have not noticed any asymmetry in mine, and I don't see it in the choil shot at the link, so if it's there, it's pretty minimal, and hard to imagine it would represent a sharpening challenge.
You're right, I think I'm using the wrong terminology.
Edit: What about lasers do you find fatiguing?

Edit to ask: Would the Toyama's asymmetric grind present much of an issue for a novice sharpener like me, or is it something of a non-issue?
Asymmetric grind is fine and wont impact normal sharpening on your edges. Maybe aggressive thinning you’d want to think about losing convexity I suppose? The lighting and the choil in that photo are a bit contrasted but one side is flatter and the other convex. It’s a right hand grind with the convex side on your outside edge.

Different bevels like wide bevel or an asymmetric bevel like a Misono require a bit more finesse. Toyama is neither and is straightforward to sharpen. Just keep a consistent angle on each side and hit the apex.

That said, it does come with a very acute “zero edge” from the factory though. It cuts like a demon but is rather chippy. Putting your own edge bevel on it helps that.

I guess it's that the food can kind of fight back laterally, and twist the knife out of true. Not much, but it kind of adds up over time in wrist fatigue. Probably wouldn't be a problem if I were completely acclimated, but I came from Chinese cleavers, and got really used to some help in the cut from the weight.

Also it's mostly an issue for the more lasery lasers. I sold my larger Takamura gyuto for this reason. I still have, and like, the petty and a small santoku.

If you're considering konosuke hd2 you should probably also consider Ashi / Gesshin Ginga. Different steel choices but in all other aspects virtually indistinguishable from the Kono, and can udually be found cheaper.

Something to keep in mind with laser type knives in a pro environment is the thinness of the spine. That can wear on your index finger in a pinch grip and in pro durations of use I can see it even becoming painful until your finger broke in. Even as a home cook I've had a nice dent form in the pad of my finger after prolonged and continuous use. That's one thing I think that makes Sanjo style (Toyama, Watanabe, Munetoshi, etc.) knives with their thicker spines but still thin edges attractive for many pro cooks.

Thanks everyone for the explanations and recommendations! I'm obviously not super familiar with some terms.
Sounds like Toyama might be an appealing choice, and that right hand grind shouldn't be a challenge (I wouldn't be doing any aggressive thinning anyway for quite some time I imagine). I'll also look at the Ashi/Gesshin Ginga and Yoshikane.
I certainly am no stranger to long prep sessions, and while I've got some good callouses built up, that's a good point about the spine fatigue.
Is there a good thread here to learn more about common characteristics of different styles like Sanjo?

Thanks everyone for the explanations and recommendations! I'm obviously not super familiar with some terms.
Sounds like Toyama might be an appealing choice, and that right hand grind shouldn't be a challenge (I wouldn't be doing any aggressive thinning anyway for quite some time I imagine). I'll also look at the Ashi/Gesshin Ginga and Yoshikane.
I certainly am no stranger to long prep sessions, and while I've got some good callouses built up, that's a good point about the spine fatigue.
Is there a good thread here to learn more about common characteristics of different styles like Sanjo?
I think the review section had a really good review on many of the sanjo knives... just got a beater yoshi BST because i wanted something to compare. Honestly don't use the yoshikane much as a home cook I prefer a much heavier even knife (have a kid, so i cook every day, but like in 30 min bursts), but I imagine if I had to prep food for more than 1 hour I'd want the yoshikane. Did my labor day party (cooking all day) with a Morihei Hisamoto fine finish 240 and I was definitely conscious of the weight after a hour of prep, had to swap to a 210 takamura for the later preps...

Oh man, the BTS is more of a gold mine than I knew. I need to check with my chef about whether or not I can use company funds here or if it needs to be new, as I've seen some great deals. Either way, my wish list has greatly expanded rather than contract.

I'd suggest Kaeru or Wakui, among plenty of other options.

I'd recommend definitely staying away from something laserish, with a thin spine for any bulk prep. They're good for slicing stuff to plate though.

Yoshikane's are really nice, if you work on flat cutting boards. Otherwise you'll hate the accordion cuts.

Sukenari ZDP-189 is a personal favorite and so are my chefs. I was always a traditional Japanese high carbon steel guy before they suggested me this. These hardness 67 edges with great geometry slices, cuts clean and effortless. Some people bargain in china that this is the best chef's use knife asides from honyaki, great hardness, edge maintain, budget friendly ( not sure about US but in China 240 regular would be around 310, Damascus would be 420ish ). I liked it a lot and hope you might like it

Here's mine 210s
IMG_0484.jpg

Last edited:
Surprised Shigeki Tanaka ginsan hasn't popped up. Great midweight jack-of-all-trades type knife with great iteration of ginsan steel. Full stainless and sharpens beautifully.

https://thecooksedge.com/products/shigeki-tanaka-nashiji-gyuto-240mm?_pos=1&_sid=02ae018f6&_ss=r
I had been using my newer acquisitions, well because they were newer, but the other day I pulled out my S. Tanaka ginsan 240 gyuto. I had forgotten what a great cutter and how comfortable it is to use. +1 for Tanaka.

I had been using my newer acquisitions, well because they were newer, but the other day I pulled out my S. Tanaka ginsan 240 gyuto. I had forgotten what a great cutter and how comfortable it is to use. +1 for Tanaka.
Do you have any insight on how this might compare to the Nakagawa Ginsan from my list, or the Masashi above?

Do you have any insight on how this might compare to the Nakagawa Ginsan from my list, or the Masashi above?
No, I haven't used either of those two. I'm sure others can chime in.

Masashi makes great knives but the tips on his gyutos are too high, makes for some awkwardly lifted arm angles when trying to do fine work with the tip. He makes them quite tall too, with typical Sanjo thick spine skinny edge. I've never used that steel but semi-stainless is a good choice over his Shirogami/Aogami lines.

The S. Tanaka will have a bit more robust edge, still cuts well but Masashi's are like Yoshikane where they're so thin BTE they won't be as forgiving to poor technique. The ginsan is more corrosion resistant than semi-stainless. Not a ton of distal taper on the Tanaka until the very tip, keeps it stiff and nicely forward weighted. I think the profile of the Tanaka is a bit more generalist and will rock chop more easily than the flatter Masashi. Mine handles squash and dense sweet potatoes beautifully, something in the grind minimizes stiction.

20230517_193633.jpg

20221111_105222.jpg

Masashi makes great knives but the tips on his gyutos are too high, makes for some awkwardly lifted arm angles when trying to do fine work with the tip. He makes them quite tall too, with typical Sanjo thick spine skinny edge. I've never used that steel but semi-stainless is a good choice over his Shirogami/Aogami lines.
+1 to all that. Similar to Yoshikane in cutting performance and thin edges that require a little care, a little bit awkward profile for tip use. If you're tall it might suit you better though.

I'll put up a big +1 to Toyama, a stainless clad 240 would be a great knife for bulk prep and should be gettable in your budget. See WTS - Toyama 240mm KU stainless gyuto - BNIB

Any good 52100 or AEBL midweight to workhorse from a quality western maker would also be a winner: @eddworks and @MSicardCutlery are active here and could do something very nice in your budget, also consider Spåre and Markin. Shihan would be really excellent for this use case but you'd have to stretch your budget further. If you're comfortable with an ironclad knife (more reactivity concerns) grabbing a Tetsujin or Kochi V2 would be great picks...

Back