Sharpening, sitting or standing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you sit or stand when sharpening?

• Total voters
let's adding standing and sitting with a drink....

(disclaimer; it may affect the final result and your health at the same time)
2 beers/glasses of wine are really the sweet spot for my sharpening angle control/consistency.

I have one of those squishy mats like store clerks stand on. Throw that down and sharpen on counter next to sink. I taught myself how to sharpen on a stone sitting down but found I had better control standing.

We were always taught in school that when doing any kind of metal removal be it with rasps or stone your elbow joint should be locked at 90 degrees for precision. If you are sitting at the dining table that’s impossible. If your counter (ad most are) is at waist level it is not ideal either but I’d say better than the kitchen table… I’d say standing potentially gives you a better control, but to each their own. Six of one… in other worlds. I stand for all of it…
I was going to ask you guys about this... by "sitting", I assume you mean something like this? stone is vertically positioned somewhere between your waist and chest.

It looks comfortable, specially when spending hours thinning. I wonder if there's less neck / back stress compared to standing.

I was going to ask you guys about this... by "sitting", I assume you mean something like this? stone is vertically positioned somewhere between your waist and chest.

It looks comfortable, specially when spending hours thinning. I wonder if there's less neck / back stress compared to standing.

Standing makes my feet hurt.
Sitting makes my back hurt.
Life is all about compromises.

Every sharpener I know does it standing up (with the exception of Korin)—but I don't know every sharpener.
I've never wanted to sit while sharpening, don't want to be confined to a chair, feel free-er and nimbler when standing during sharpening. Standing is also more economical with space—my NYC apartment doesn't have to any extra space for a seated sharpening station—and sharpening on my kitchen counter, next to the sink makes most sense.

For me, I can't see any advantage in sitting while sharpening.

Below, a busy, standing sharpening station in LA (not mine).
IMG_0209.JPG

Well...not sure its about want.....If you have back issues you would sit more. I generally sharpen sitting only because my back will hurts after a while. Otherwise I do agree its "better" standing up.

Wow, lots of standers. 100% sitting only for me. I wonder if people would sharpen sitting more if they had lower floor tables. Than again, not everyone finds sitting on the floor comfortable.

I’m sure most of you have seen sword polishers and sharpeners. Nearly all I have seen are sitting.
In a sitting position to have a better ergonomics I’d say the table should be a little below mid belly. That way your forearm can remain parallel to the honing plane and also your back would be straight without putting undue stress….
Having said that, I would still prefer sharpening standing up just because it would mean I have to look for a proper height table and then wonder where to store it. The missis is a little peculiar when it comes to furniture that doesn’t complement the rest of the decor…😅

Wow, lots of standers. 100% sitting only for me. I wonder if people would sharpen sitting more if they had lower floor tables. Than again, not everyone finds sitting on the floor comfortable.
I think the comfort level of sitting on the floor is a huge limiter for the Western world. Most people definitely are not comfortable sitting at a lower table for hours. The other part is table height. When I set up my bin on the dining table the stone ends up well above my natural elbow height and it’s awkward to sharpen.

I've shown this before but I was getting it out and figured I'd take some new pics. This is the setup I have developed over time for when I'm going to do more than a one-stone touch up.

20231013_143714.jpg

That's a 2" cutting board with a silicone mat/trivet you can readily find on Amazon.

I have a plastic tub that holds miscellaneous sharpening stuff and my most used stones. That goes on top of the mat. The tub is about 6.5" tall.
20231013_143736.jpg

20231013_143748.jpg

Then I place a towel on that. This helps prevent skidding for the next step.
20231013_143822.jpg

On top of that goes a Calphalon flat sheet tray.
20231013_143840.jpg

Then another silicone mat and my stone holder.
20231013_143919.jpg

20231013_144218.jpg

The silicone mats fit inside the bin for storage. The towel only provides enough skid prevention because I have a shelf behind the tray that it butts up against. Without that I'd get a larger silicone or rubber mat in place of the towel. That's how I used to do it actually.

I'm 5'11". This setup gets the stone about 9.5 inches off the counter and places the work about two inches below my sternum.

It's quite comfortable, provides me plenty of control and my neck doesn't get sore.

I put this together through trial and error over time. Experiment. See what you can come up and what works for you.

Attachments

• 20231013_143935.jpg
    20231013_143935.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Probably about the right height for me but I don't think I could work in those conditions......

Envious of the space you have for woodworking—no such thing in my NYC apartment. My sharpening station is very minimalist, takes place on the counter where I prep food. Standing room only.

5DAD79CF-6CC1-497B-B513-9035841CD888.jpg

I never tried sitting, there is no space in my flat for this. Sharpening standing using sink bridge is way to go for me.
However, I have hard time picturing sharpening in sitting position and being comfortable in the process.

I think the comfort level of sitting on the floor is a huge limiter for the Western world. Most people definitely are not comfortable sitting at a lower table for hours. The other part is table height. When I set up my bin on the dining table the stone ends up well above my natural elbow height and it’s awkward to sharpen.
Depends on where in the western world you mean. I’m from a state in the USA that’s culturally very Asian, sitting or napping on the floor not uncommon.
Sharpening while standing is more practical than anything else—one needs the luxury of space to have a sitting station.

Depends on where in the western world you mean. I’m from a state in the USA that’s culturally very Asian, sitting or napping on the floor not uncommon.
Sharpening while standing is more practical than anything else—one needs the luxury of space to have a sitting station.

How do you mean, don't you have a living room 😅

You need a table/desk and a chair. I can hardly call that luxury.
What do you mean a 'station'? You mean you are afraid to make a mess in the living room or so?

How do you mean, don't you have a living room 😅

You need a table/desk and a chair. I can hardly call that luxury.
What do you mean a 'station'? You mean you are afraid to make a mess in the living room or so?
NYC apartment man. Kitchen counter is the only area for sharpening, since I prefer standing, and need to be by a sink. No way in hell would I sharpen in the living room.

You are right. A living room is not for hobbies.
I send my wife to the cellar when she wants to buy shoes.

Jokes aside, I don't see the logic in 'no way in hell'. If you'd stop with 'I want a sink nearby and I want to stand', I could have understand.
What's so totally ridicilous with sharpening in the living room?

You are right. A living room is not for hobbies.
I send my wife to the cellar when she wants to buy shoes.

Jokes aside, I don't see the logic in 'no way in hell'. If you'd stop with 'I want a sink nearby and I want to stand', I could have understand.
What's so totally ridicilous with sharpening in the living room?
Odd joke tbh, …you send your wife to the cellar? Yes, ‘no way in hell’ in my house.

Last edited:
The joke is as odd as just claiming a living room 'is simply off limit for sharpening' ;)

I was just curious in why. You should either just like to share with us/me what the reason is, or keep it for yourself. I'm not interessted in a mudfight about something this little.

The joke is as odd as just claiming a living room 'is simply off limit for sharpening' ;)

I was just curious in why. You should either just like to share with us/me what the reason is, or keep it for yourself. I'm not interessted in a mudfight about something this little.
Relax buddy. Nature of this thread is sharpening preferences off kkf community members. If really curious about mine—simply comb through to my previous comments.

Here's my sitting station in the basement. Pretty much everything right at hand. Please excuse the mess.

PXL_20231018_142356969.jpg

Stones within reach

PXL_20231018_142403636.jpg

My kitchen sitting station.

PXL_20231018_142728099.MP.jpg

My office sitting station. Mostly for sharpening razors. Although I have a few electronics projects going on right now.

PXL_20231018_142942023.jpg

I would rather stand. But I have learned to do it all sitting for medical reasons.

Love the shoe rack for stones and the home office. Maybe I should convert one of my rooms to something like that. Do your feet touch the ground when you sit at the kitchen counter? If not, I would suggest a foot stool or something elevated to reinforce the ergonomics.

Here's my sitting station in the basement. Pretty much everything right at hand. Please excuse the mess.

View attachment 276362

Stones within reach

View attachment 276361

View attachment 276363

My office sitting station. Mostly for sharpening razors. Although I have a few electronics projects going on right now.

View attachment 276364

I would rather stand. But I have learned to do it all sitting for medical reasons.
Nice setups man—dig the rack of stones. Mine is much more minimalist, stones living in a box on the floor near my sink to be brought out as needed—standing room only. What's your go-to music for sharpening?

Nice setups man—dig the rack of stones. Mine is much more minimalist, stones living in a box on the floor near my sink to be brought out as needed—standing room only. What's your go-to music for sharpening?

Never really thought about listening to music while I sharpen! Lol. But I am putting together a super budget stereo for my office. That's what's up with the turntable and disemboweled audio streamer on the desk. Once I get that finished I will probably listen to stuff in my record collection. It is a pretty broad mix. 1950s to current. Mostly focused on blues, jazz, Americana, and honky tonk country.

View attachment 276362

Stones within reach

View attachment 276361

View attachment 276363

View attachment 276364

Does your Dremel + workstation work decently as a drill press? I was thinking of getting the workstation add on for my dremel for drilling holes for handles.

Back