Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving on, here is a sneak preview of the handle to reel the donkey back onto the mill.

View attachment 89044
The handle on that donkey got a bit too much bulk
image0015.jpg

I once cut a 270 Kato WH down into a 240 K-tip with angle grinder cause I do what I want and that’s final. Now it’s called a work pony.

Very well, but do you know the difference between a work pony & work donky?

you are ready to explain how to manage a full time knife making job but you are not ready to understand spending 4h to grind a quenched knife on a woodworking tool is a shity job ?
Good.
Yeah, I would like to hear more what knife makers think on chop shopping a knife out of a knife and acting like it's a knife from the original maker. Again, I'm not accussing Ma Sha of trying to do something shady like pass it off as unmodified. But it's more than a little modification. If someone did this to your knife Bryan, would you think it should still be called a Raquin?

Dude, let it go already. I don’t really care, I doubt other do as well but you are getting a bit obsessed on this.

IMHO, you should start another thread asking for it, not directed at you but the thread constantly getting pulled off track is getting a bit annoying.

Yeah, I would like to hear more what knife makers think on chop shopping a knife out of a knife and acting like it's a knife from the original maker. Again, I'm not accussing Ma Sha of trying to do something shady like pass it off as unmodified. But it's more than a little modification. If someone did this to your knife Bryan, would you think it should still be called a Raquin?
This kinda is a ridiculous thread to pull off the sweater honestly. I have knives that are 15 years old that have been fixed over the years from broken tips to chunks missing and so on. I have knives that started as gyutos and are now little line knives like a baby suji. I’ve done them myself and had good people like Jon and Josh at JKI handle them. Doesn’t change the brand. Doesn’t change that I don’t use them, they just started a new life. These things are tools. This is not a binary situation. There is no right or wrong. That’s why I make those jokes about cutting inches off shigs and katos. Because if it’s my knife and I want to alter it, I will. If you actually use your knives- they’re gonna change. This is not up for debate. So what do you call your knife after you’ve thinned it because the performance has started to suffer after a year of regular use? I’ve had Kev thin my problem knives to better effect than when they are new- including makeks who are mentioned here in this thread.

I do recognize that this is a different version of ‘changing a knife’ but let’s not walk down the false equivalence line of logic.

Last edited:
With a TF you prob couldn't tell where the factory ended and the mod began. :cool:

And Ma, by starting this thread you did invite comment, some of it will be unfavorable, some may become repetitious but until it's personal......

Also OP- maybe not on the same level- but I used to hit flea markets and find old crusty carbon Sabs and the like. I’d rehab them. TO THIS DAY one of my favorite knives all time is a vintage Sab that I cleaned up and re-profiled into an 8” suji, and it stayed in my kit for years and cooked in something like 9 countries, despite trying to find its ‘superior Japanese replacement’. No one ever questions how it came to be. Or the fact that I literally re-profiled it on the concrete slab in my backyard before I took it to the stones. It’s still a Sab. And I still use it. And it’s irreplaceable in my collection. Still a Sab.

I cut off my 501's way too short.
My butt cheeks hang out.
I don't want to call them Steve jeans.
I hope Levi's don't sue me...

This one got to change the name to the “plumber’s special”, maybe Levi will pay you 🤣

This kinda is a ridiculous thread to pull off the sweater honestly. I have knives that are 15 years old that have been fixed over the years from broken tips to chunks missing and so on. I have knives that started as gyutos and are now little line knives like a baby suji. I’ve done them myself and had good people like Jon and Josh at JKI handle them. Doesn’t change the brand. Doesn’t change that I don’t use them, they just started a new life. These things are tools. This is not a binary situation. There is no right or wrong. That’s why I make those jokes about cutting inches off shigs and katos. Because if it’s my knife and I want to alter it, I will. If you actually use your knives- they’re gonna change. This is not up for debate. So what do you call your knife after you’ve thinned it because the performance has started to suffer after a year of regular use? I’ve had Kev thin my problem knives to better effect than when they are new- including makeks who are mentioned here in this thread.

I do recognize that this is a different version of ‘changing a knife’ but let’s not walk down the false equivalence line of logic.
Yeah, I totally get it, of course, after you used a knife awhile and sharpen it over years, thin it wear it down etc. It's not going to be the same as it was in the begining. It's a tool that wore down and changed. But my point is, that this is a knife forum where we sit around obsess over things like grinds of a knife, especially grinds. And that we consider it an art to make a knife. The fake distal taper that Ma Sha keeps referencing is not a fake distal taper, at least I don't think that's the case. The grind probably is convexing towards the spine and it was probably purposeful. So if you chop a shape out of it it totally changes everything, especially when you totally regrind a knife and it doesn't appear to look anything like a shig grind.

I’m not saying I’m right or he’s right or anyone is wrong, I’m just saying it’s a bit absolutist to call this anything different than what happens to a knife over time anyway, I mean at least for people who do use their knives as intended. Almost none of my knives have their original grind, technically after they’ve been sharpened, they’re forever changed. Oh, the stories Jon could tell you when he sees me swinging the door open at JKI.

Yeah, I totally get it, of course, after you used a knife awhile and sharpen it over years, thin it wear it down etc. It's not going to be the same as it was in the begining. It's a tool that wore down and changed. But my point is, that this is a knife forum where we sit around obsess over things like grinds of a knife, especially grinds. And that we consider it an art to make a knife. The fake distal taper that Ma Sha keeps referencing is not a fake distal taper, at least I don't think that's the case. The grind probably is convexing towards the spine and it was probably purposeful. So if you chop a shape out of it it totally changes everything, especially when you totally regrind a knife and it doesn't appear to look anything like a shig grind.
SO WHAT!

Phuh... I always know where to find you.

Kkkkkkkkitchenknifeforums.com,

7 days a week. 😁
Still get internet in my Pathfinder. It can hold tools too. Time to buy a saw and continue calling my car a Pathfinder. I'll just never take it to Bulgaria with their crazy copyright laws. Hopefully someone doesn't argue repeatedly over and over the fact that's not how the manufacturer intended it to be used.

The fake distal taper that Ma Sha keeps referencing is not a fake distal taper, at least I don't think that's the case.

The grind probably is convexing towards the spine and it was probably purposeful.

I thought I explained “fake distal taper” early on?

A functional spine distal taper carries the thinness drown to the edge. The Shig. Nakiri had a distal taper only surface deep at the spine, you can see the thickness of steel at the top front below the spine after I cut it open, it’s as thick as if there’ no distal taper.

To prove my point, I even recreated the fake distal taper with photo in one of my posts. Because I did spine to edge convex grind, the spine thickness was not changed much.

Learned from Shig. from this DIY project, I did “distal chamfer” on the spine, basically starts in the back rounding the spine, more rounding at the front, this creates an optical illusion of a distal taper.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but the blade above the bevel was flat, not convexing towards the spine.

I think there should be a pass around after it’s done. Either you like it or don’t but unless you use it you will never know.

Please don’t use the “R” word in my thread!
That’s why the thread was locked last time, Admin had to clean-up the ****.

Stay away from the R word If you don’t want get banned, I can see it coming...

Latest posts

Back