Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to chime in real quick because I was the original owner of the knife. to clarify as some people said the knife was already ruined or they justification that the knife was junk.

But also because the whole project needs to be judged on its own merit now and from the standpoint of taking something and crafting something new
not from the standpoint of fixing problems or whatever because that does take away from the work that Ma has done and the vision he had for this project.

I think originally the whole thing about the distal taper things started as a defense mechanism because of my post about being disappointed that it was going to become a project knife instead of something that someone could try out.
Believe me, I've re-exammed my own thoughts and philosophies about where the dividing line is as far as adjusting or fixing a knife to give justice to the quality of the blacksmithing versus something else.

Or or maybe it was the difference between experience handling things that have a more symmetrical manufactured feel.
Some of the best makers have subtle blade shaping or a convex that almost doesn't make any sense until you actually use it.
Specifically knives by this maker or Kato or even something like my Marko WH.
That's what makes them masters of their craft and that's why they're coveted and hunted after versus something that is manufactured in a factory.

The grind and the distal taper where everything that you would expect from a maker who forged a knife and then handcrafted it with experience and love and what they thought was the ideal grind and shape for this particular blade when they were making it.
What little KU finish what's left on the blade was basically taking off mostly using 4k grit sandpaper and rust erasers. because I wanted to make sure that I did not change the makers original grind too much. So we can just put it end to that line of thinking please.

There were a few hammer marks on the right side of the blade and there was at least one hammer mark on the left side of the blade and I really do feel like these added to the food release but also more importantly whoever shaped the blade left in there because they know more than I do and they were the ones making it.
The left side of the blade was flatter than the right side of the blade and I've seen that in a lot of my favorite knives. It's not quite to the point of being a single bevel but it does make a difference in the way it performs.

slight asymmetrical shaping that almost impossible to measure but you see it on a lot of these knives that are crafted from start to finish by one set of hands or by this family. Another example would be
on the right side of the blade closer to the heel there was this transition in the shaping that I've seen on knives from a few different makers.
I guess in a way having that right side of the blade shaped in such a way that it pushes food away and pushes through.
Describing it would sound like a manufacturing defect but in practice this slight shaping actually allows the knife to have really good food release near the heel and it still makes it comfortable to grab and a pinch grip while keeping the edge thin.

I was recently fortunate enough to have Marko make me one of his workhorse knives.
when you're talking to a maker they ask you what your preferences are and then they make you a knife. Until I actually had the knife in person and was able to run my fingers along the surface of the blade and use it for the last few months I don't think I could have described the grind that he put on this. if I was going to try to do that myself I'm sure I could get it to cut well but there's no way in hell that I could come close to the magic that he put on that. Believe me the fit finish on this thing is perfect but there is a subtle finishing that he did because with his experience he knew what needed to happen to make this knife cut as awesome as it does.
And that's what makes it a knife by that maker.

As far as the blade face is not being flat that was why I thought I should chime in a little bit.

If you were talking about a comparison of the way the knife originally was versus something like konosuke which tend to have very high levels of fit finish and symmetry...
then yeah the blade faces weren't flat but a lot of times they aren't on knives of this particular style and it's part of the reason why they perform so well because of that shaping.
It gives it that mojo.
That's why some knives are so revered and loved because even though the grind might be not perfect robotic ground exact angles of perfection....
They're awesome to use and then give you this feeling when you using them that you can't quantify necessarily.

This knife in particular was an excellent example of that which is kind of why I had my initial heartbreak and overreaction aside from the fact that I originally tried to do something that I thought was going to be fair and a positive for people that I respect and whom share the same obsession and passion as I do about kitchen knives.

As far as this knife as it is now,
The initial work is done and I hope that Ma continues to fine tune it so that it does have that intangible magic again more than just a manufactured symmetrical measured remanufactured product.

As far as it being a shigefusa or not anymore there's no easy answers but knives like shigs are a sum of their total parts.
So it is something different now. I think that's what some people were trying to say it's just impossible to explain that until you know it and experience it.

I definitely would like to see updates or even a video after a few weeks of use. 👍

Last edited:
I am Receptive to forum suggestions
I Reground the handle to Reduce the height
I Reapplied burning to the chestnut handle
I Resanded the handle & ferrule to 600/2000
I Reuploaded photo to KKF, I feel Relaxed 😎

FAE137C7-A667-4AD0-8B69-90CEE43AD43B.jpeg

I am Receptive to forum suggestions
I Reground the handle to Reduce the height
I Reapplied burning to the chestnut handle
I Resanded the handle & ferrule to 2000/600
I Reuploaded photo to KKF, I feel Relaxed n 😎
So the donkey is now a Racehorse? We have now gone full circle

Please Release your video of its performance.

I don’t do video but I can do a brief review when I have it sharpened up. Not sure it’ll be as sharp as my laserish Kurosaki 180, but I wanted a heavier small gyuto to do some light duty chopping. The Kurosaki is a bit fragile for chopping. The Shig. weights -160g vs Kurosaki 130 gram.

Last edited:
Heh, why is it so black then? That can't just be the light, can it? Or did you etch it?

It’s a bit darker due to lighting but I did burn it near black for contrast, & try to match the buffalo horn face plate of the ferrule.

Edit: just realized you meant the blade, it’s just reflection.

Last edited:
It’s a bit darker due to lighting but I did burn it near black for contrast, & try to match the buffalo horn face plate of the ferrule.

I was talking about the blade road. Couldn't believe it was just the light, but I guess it is!

Btw, where'd you get the chestnut wood?

It does look a little big, but I think its mostly due to the angle that the picture was taken from. The handle is closer to the lens than the blade, so it appears larger.

What about in this photo?
View attachment 89045
It is the black spacer between the bone made the knife that really bothers me, the colors don’t flow naturally bcuz of that.

It is the black spacer between the bone made the knife that really bothers me, the colors don’t flow naturally bcuz of that.

what you mean black saver? You mean the black face plate in front of the ferrule?

I was talking about the blade road. Couldn't believe it was just the light, but I guess it is!

Btw, where'd you get the chestnut wood?

It’s just the light. American chestnut off eBay.

Reactions: ian
Back