Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh yeah that does make sense. In the video he mentions the initial amounts (looks like 2-3 inches of dough) should be discarded since the machine hasn’t warmed up yet, but that could be a language barrier issue
a little heat can be beneficial, but that initial extrusion also serves to remove any leftover gunk from previous extrusions and also ensure that there's an even flow/pressure of dough in the extruder so you get a consistent outcome.

I'm struggling to see why you'd go through all the trouble to make your own extruded pasta when really good quality is pretty widely available these days. Especially when you're talking egg-less pasta (or noodles for that matter).
IMO the main reason to make your own pasta dough would be for stuff like ravioli; most store bought stuff tends to have crap fillings.

I'm struggling to see why you'd go through all the trouble to make your own extruded pasta when really good quality is pretty widely available these days. Especially when you're talking egg-less pasta (or noodles for that matter).
IMO the main reason to make your own pasta dough would be for stuff like ravioli; most store bought stuff tends to have crap fillings.
vibes

I totally understand that. I work as a private chef/small caterer and one of my favorite selling points is hand made pasta. I just use at atlas hand-cranked machine currently and make noodles shapes etc from there. People aren’t as familiar with garganelli as rigatoni so it some ways it is a simple lazy matter of explaining to a client that if they want a rigatoni carbonara I can do a garg (or whatever else suggest) instead. And a lot of rich people want to pay for me to make something just bc.
Really it’s not a big issue, but ever since I don’t have access to a large commercial extruder anymore I’ve been wondering if there is a suitable home machine. I’m not going to spend a lot of time or energy but asking people here who have looked into it takes neither. Not gonna spend 1k on a machine.

I totally understand that. I work as a private chef/small caterer and one of my favorite selling points is hand made pasta. I just use at atlas hand-cranked machine currently and make noodles shapes etc from there. People aren’t as familiar with garganelli as rigatoni so it some ways it is a simple lazy matter of explaining to a client that if they want a rigatoni carbonara I can do a garg (or whatever else suggest) instead. And a lot of rich people want to pay for me to make something just bc.
Really it’s not a big issue, but ever since I don’t have access to a large commercial extruder anymore I’ve been wondering if there is a suitable home machine. I’m not going to spend a lot of time or energy but asking people here who have looked into it takes neither. Not gonna spend 1k on a machine.
there are some handcrank options, but i'm not sure if they'd produce a consistent results because the pressure would be varying constantly

- https://www.consiglioskitchenware.c...oducts/torkio-ok-made-in-italy-pasta-extruder
- https://www.consiglioskitchenware.com/products/premium-pasta-extruder-with-brass-dies-canada

Just as examples

Wouldn’t need to do arms at the gym for sure. Not sure I have the will for this. Tho the price is right
Ok did a little more digging, found a facebook group that has literally all the info on this. A philips advance pasta maker + bronze dies from a company called pastidea seem to be the common theme that everyone there is suggesting

I am a big pasta maker, currently mostly laminated but I do some extruded. The Kitchen Aid Gourmet Pasta Set works great for extruded (spaghetti, Bucatini, Rigatoni, Fusilli, Large & Small Macaroni) and as long as you follow their instructions, I have had zero issues with it. I also have a LEM Big Bite meat grinder when I was a big meat eater but now use it for making extruded spaghetti with absolutely no problem, but it is a big machine with a very big motor in it.

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, I think it will fit on any model, the hand cranked ones recommended previous
20240326_091218.jpg
will work also.

I recently bought a 32 cm Demeyere Proline 7 frying pan, and pretty soon figured out that while it is great for more specialized use cases (as in, cooking dishes that are not suitable for carbon steel pans for a larger group of people) it is absolutely bloody too massive and unwieldy for day-to-day cooking. So, I bought the 28 cm version of it 😅

That is actually pretty darned big still as Demeyere uses the inner width of their pans for indicating size (vs. the more common outer width). Anyhow, it is an awesome pan so I see it getting a ton of use along with my carbon steel pans (a variety of sizes and styles mostly from the Mineral B line from deBuyer).

Other recent purchases… a new pair of 30 cm tweezers from a local kitchen supply store, they are great as they are more resilient/springy vs. the usual mass produced ones that bend out of shape if you squeeze them together too hard. The teeth are also sharp… quality pieces of kit. Also, another Microplane zester/grater :)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I also seem to have gone overboard with my recent purchases of Japanese rice…

Pictured, 5 kg of Koshibuki rice from Niigata prefecture, 5 kg of Koshihikari rice from Ibaraki prefecture, and in between 2 kg bag of Kaneyama rice, all great for sushi but also for generic use.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I recently bought a 32 cm Demeyere Proline 7 frying pan, and pretty soon figured out that while it is great for more specialized use cases (as in, cooking dishes that are not suitable for carbon steel pans for a larger group of people) it is absolutely bloody too massive and unwieldy for day-to-day cooking. So, I bought the 28 cm version of it 😅

That is actually pretty darned big still as Demeyere uses the inner width of their pans for indicating size (vs. the more common outer width). Anyhow, it is an awesome pan so I see it getting a ton of use along with my carbon steel pans (a variety of sizes and styles mostly from the Mineral B line from deBuyer).

Other recent purchases… a new pair of 30 cm tweezers from a local kitchen supply store, they are great as they are more resilient/springy vs. the usual mass produced ones that bend out of shape if you squeeze them together too hard. The teeth are also sharp… quality pieces of kit. Also, another Microplane zester/grater :)

View attachment 310715

I also seem to have gone overboard with my recent purchases of Japanese rice…

Pictured, 5 kg of Koshibuki rice from Niigata prefecture, 5 kg of Koshihikari rice from Ibaraki prefecture, and in between 2 kg bag of Kaneyama rice, all great for sushi but also for generic use.

View attachment 310716
Exactly why I don't have a 32 proline and why I own thinner multiline pans alongsidr my proline. The proline is awesome for meat but it just sucks to toss veg in.

I'll be using it for carrots soon.
Can you still send it back?
I have one of those extra coarse microplanes and while it might be good for cheese it's a complete POS for carrots imo.

Although I'm not necessarily 100% satisfied with my Rösle coarse grater either it's a lot better for carrots and other hard veg.

My gut feeling is I probably should have just bought a Benriner instead.

Last edited:
Can you still send it back?
I have one of those extra coarse microplanes and while it might be good for cheese it's a complete POS for carrots imo.

Although I'm not necessarily 100% satisfied with my Rösle coarse grater either it's a lot better for carrots and other gard veg.

My gut feeling is I probably should have just bought a Benriner instead.
Well now I'm gonna set out to prove you wrong and grate the best carrots I've ever grated on this POS. Will report back.

I want new small pans for breakfast stuff and picked up these.
IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

Copper Core Falk and Graphite Core All-Clad. Haven’t tried either but the Falk has gotta go. The AC feels awesome, handle, weight, and shape. 595g vs 1837g. I can’t believe a 9.5in skillet feels like it needs a helper handle. I’m not dealing with that before coffee.

I want new small pans for breakfast stuff and picked up these.
View attachment 311445

View attachment 311446

Copper Core Falk and Graphite Core All-Clad. Haven’t tried either but the Falk has gotta go. The AC feels awesome, handle, weight, and shape. 595g vs 1837g. I can’t believe a 9.5in skillet feels like it needs a helper handle. I’m not dealing with that before coffee.
If you do use the Falk, I’ll be interested in your thoughts. I’ve been eyeing a few of those pieces.

I've never used a Falk (as best as I know). But they have a stellar reputation, so I'm surprised. Just too dang heavy, I guess?

That weight is in the same class as my De Buyer Mineral B Pro, which weighs 2,260 g at 11 inches. Too heavy to casually toss veggies around…

Haven’t used the copper core Falk, but their classic line cooks beautifully. Super even heat and relatively responsive. Downside is that they are monster heavy and unbalanced compared to all clad and similar stainless clad pans. For any pans you plan to toss and shake a lot, they’re probably not the best option. For things that will stay on the grate, like a sauce or soup, they’re a joy.

Really interested to see how the graphite core does in practice. Have been eyeing those for a couple months now.

I came across this Kickstarter one a while ago. No idea whether that concept will pan out (pan pun intended). It does look promising, though.

Strata: Carbon Steel Clad Pan

Interestingly, the Kickstarter page does not state the actual weight of each model. All it says is that it is light.
"Aluminum conducts heat much better than steel, so we decided to introduce an aluminum core. Better heat distribution and responsiveness, at half the weight."
Not sure about "half the weight". Half of what? The statement doesn't make sense if I don't know what they are comparing with. A 2-mm carbon steel pan? A 3-mm carbon steel pan? Bad marketing…

I found a Cook Culture review of the Strata. He says 2.3 pounds (1,043 g) for the 10". So that's indeed about half the weight of a De Buyer (3 mm).

Last edited:
I literally hate everything about the Falk. But its all personal preference. A chief issue is the steep sides and sharp edge where the sides meet the bottom. A skillet should be more rounded and light enough to toss/flip food. If you want something to make fried chicken or sear a steak it looks excellent. I considered keeping it for searing but I normally use larger pans for that. A 9.5” searing/deep fry pan isn’t very useful unless you are cooking for 1.

I will definitely consider Falk for a larger pan. Whenever I go induction I’ll need to replace my beloved french copper large saute pan. It makes me smile with appreciation everytime I use it.

I love my french copper pans and old school all-clad MC2 pans but I’m trying to invest in induction compatible stuff for new purchases. That outer steel layer is immensely useless ballast. I had a few all-clad D3, D5 skillets and tossed them because the MC2 ones were so much better.

Thanks for posting, that is exactly what I have been looking for. I’ll keep an eye out for these.
The aluminium should provide better conductivity than carbon steel, and the stainless steel makes it suitable for induction. The inside surface, being carbon steel, will season exactly the same as a normal carbon steel pan. The shape looks good, and I like the wide handle.

The one concern might be be with long-term warping and/or the different metals delaminating. The only way to find out is to use one of these regularly for a year or two. But it does look like a really promising concept. Personally, I would not mind having something lighter than my De Buyer.

I’ve tried a number of carbon pans from bourgeat and others and they are all gone but 1. Either heavy or too thin, bad handles, ugly. The Strata ones address my dislikes.

I’ve tried a number of carbon pans from bourgeat and others and they are all gone but 1. Either heavy or too thin, bad handles, ugly. The Strata ones address my dislikes.
If you get one, please let us know what you think and how it holds up over time.

I am a big pasta maker, currently mostly laminated but I do some extruded. The Kitchen Aid Gourmet Pasta Set works great for extruded (spaghetti, Bucatini, Rigatoni, Fusilli, Large & Small Macaroni) and as long as you follow their instructions, I have had zero issues with it. I also have a LEM Big Bite meat grinder when I was a big meat eater but now use it for making extruded spaghetti with absolutely no problem, but it is a big machine with a very big motor in it.

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, I think it will fit on any model, the hand cranked ones recommended previousView attachment 310710 will work also.
I'd like to hear more about making extruded pasta with a LEM Big Bite.

Back