Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucid 245x56 workhorse at 308g!! Stainless over Wolfram. Ringed Gidgee handle and nail flexing thin edge. I have never been a huge workhorse guy but this put a huge smile on my face. Now I get it. Look at that school and the rounding!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240126_010140064.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010140064.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010134744.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010134744.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010120522.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010120522.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010044953.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010044953.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010017237.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010017237.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010010657.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010010657.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_005950511.jpg
    PXL_20240126_005950511.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_005857244.jpg
    PXL_20240126_005857244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240126_010219118.jpg
    PXL_20240126_010219118.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 0
I jumped the gun and posted his pics already but @eddworks did such a damn good job on the koa handle I must share since it came in today.

253x60, 255 grams. 5 mm AEB-L stock. Feels so good in hand. Silly distal taper, deliciously thin behind the edge.

View attachment 294329View attachment 294330View attachment 294331View attachment 294332View attachment 294333View attachment 294334View attachment 294335View attachment 294336
The man can make a knife. The draw cuts didn't move the carrot at all, had to check I didn't accordion them.

Joel Black ApexUltra Nakiri
20240126_093056.jpg

As I mentioned in the counting thread, that beautiful wood handle did arrive with a crack (and a gap in the epoxy near the tang I need to fill). Looking back, there is something that can be seen in the listing photos. Joel has stated that he knew about it and will replace the handle if it becomes an issue. He did provide background on the wood (a piece of turkey oak gathered from near his shop), but upfront disclosure would've been nice.

This pic makes it look worse that it is. Love the figure and feel of the wood.

20240126_093636.jpg

Swampdonkey, I have to admit there’s something I don’t like about the Eddworks knife I have. It has totally changed what I think makes a good knife. I have a large selection of Japanese knives that I love, but I never had one that just felt super special in my hands until I got his knife. I feel guilty knowing I’d prefer using his knife when I have 20 other gyutos. I can only cook so much since there’s just 2 of us here now. I know now there are probably lots of great US and European makers to try now. I’m just going to have to thin out my knife herd to make room for some upgrades.

ESOO, the crack looks pretty bad to me. It’s quite a shame, but it looks like it was somewhat destined to fail since the wide part of the tang seems to be embedded into the wood a bit.

Excellent looking knife though.

ESOO, the crack looks pretty bad to me. It’s quite a shame, but it looks like it was somewhat destined to fail since the wide part of the tang seems to be embedded into the wood a bit.

Excellent looking knife though.

It was mentioned by Joel that this wood has a lot of movement in it, and it is an non-stabilized piece. Hard to say how much of the tang is in the wood and it's attached by epoxy so not going to be able to taken off.

View attachment 295879

As I mentioned in the counting thread, that beautiful wood handle did arrive with a crack (and a gap in the epoxy near the tang I need to fill). Looking back, there is something that can be seen in the listing photos. Joel has stated that he knew about it and will replace the handle if it becomes an issue. He did provide background on the wood (a piece of turkey oak gathered from near his shop), but upfront disclosure would've been nice.

View attachment 295880
Oof! I'd be scared of the crack getting bigger. I'd suggest filling it in with a thin epoxy, for peace of mind. If you end up keeping it as is.

View attachment 295879

View attachment 295880

Buddy I hate to rain on people's new knife day, especially a custom but that would infuriate me, especially being a custom! I'm pretty easy going and not nit picky but that is wholly unacceptable to leave a custom maker's shop without clear and explicit prior communication and customer agreement. That crack is never going to get better and I'd reckon it will only get worse. Especially if he says that wood is prone to moving. Good grief that means he knows what could happen.

I would not accept that and work out how to get it replaced. In fact, I might just send it to @KasumiJLA and let him rehandle it and be done with Mr. Broke Handle Black.

And beyond the physical, it would just cast a cloud over that knife for me and I'd likely just never use it. A new custom or one-off like that is supposed to be thrilling and exciting.

Sorry this happened for ya.

Was thinking of doing superglue. Still have to decide my plan of attack.
I don't have any experience in handle repair but I think it's a good idea to at least fill the hole and solidify everything. Wood is magnificent but it remains alive and can evolve. I have a friend who did the same thing this week with the handle of his knife and it seems to have fixed it. You can do it man!

*Edit : it wasn't a Kamon, sorry for my mistake!
@HumbleHomeCook thank you for mentioning me, that’s super nice of you!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience in handle repair but I think it's a good idea to at least fill the hole and solidify everything. Wood is magnificent but it remains alive and can evolve. I have a friend who did the same thing this week with the handle of his Kamon and it seems to have fixed it. You can do it man!

@HumbleHomeCook thank you for mentioning me, that’s super nice of you!
At least filling the gap probably won’t make it worse…

Buddy I hate to rain on people's new knife day, especially a custom but that would infuriate me, especially being a custom! I'm pretty easy going and not nit picky but that is wholly unacceptable to leave a custom maker's shop without clear and explicit prior communication and customer agreement. That crack is never going to get better and I'd reckon it will only get worse. Especially if he says that wood is prone to moving. Good grief that means he knows what could happen.

I would not accept that and work out how to get it replaced. In fact, I might just send it to @KasumiJLA and let him rehandle it and be done with Mr. Broke Handle Black.

And beyond the physical, it would just cast a cloud over that knife for me and I'd likely just never use it. A new custom or one-off like that is supposed to be thrilling and exciting.

Sorry this happened for ya.

Just for the record, this was not a custom. Was an off the shelf knife from his store. If this was a custom, it would be an immediate replacement, I agree. Maybe I'm just being more chill about it as I've got a lot of other (more important) stuff going on in my life right now.

For the moment, I'm going to put some glue into it to keep it from getting worse. And the community now knows what this maker will ship out. It sucks that I was the one to find that out, but it pales in comparison to some health news I got this week so it is what it is.

Pretty lame to let it go like that without a mention on the description..if you want to sell it like that fine, but let the buyer know and I would give a little bit of a discount tbh

This. No notice in the sale listing and just an apology when I asked about it. The wood is awesome feeling and looks fantastic. Just a sucky situation

Just for the record, this was not a custom. Was an off the shelf knife from his store. If this was a custom, it would be an immediate replacement, I agree. Maybe I'm just being more chill about it as I've got a lot of other (more important) stuff going on in my life right now.

For the moment, I'm going to put some glue into it to keep it from getting worse. And the community now knows what this maker will ship out. It sucks that I was the one to find that out, but it pales in comparison to some health news I got this week so it is what it is.

Sorry to hear about your health issues and I hope it resolves in your favor.

Regarding the knife, it’s really disappointing to hear that he noticed it and still shipped it out. I would’ve expected him to respond with “send it back at my expense and I’ll replace immediately” when called out. Just an apology kinda sucks and is a poor business practice considering how small the knife community is.

Still, I think you have the right attitude. Use and enjoy it. And at some point if the crack bothers you then take him at his word and send it back for rehandling.

Back