Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masakage yuki was one of my first j-knives... I still have it. A gateway knife for sure.
Use yours a TON. They're not too delicate or chippy.
Then report back in month (day?) or two and we'll get you squared away for your next knife :)

Masakage yuki was one of my first j-knives... I still have it. A gateway knife for sure.
Use yours a TON. They're not too delicate or chippy.
Then report back in month (day?) or two and we'll get you squared away for your next knife :)

I might have to leave work early today, can't wait to use it. :D Initial hand feel is superb as well. And yes, I will use it pretty much daily. Crap, I thought the Shun was my gateway knife - this is gonna get expensive, isn't it? :(

Silly question - do these types of knives that are stainless clad come with any kind of protective coating on them that needs to be cleaned off before use? I doesn't look to have anything to my, no rainbow look.

Silly question - do these types of knives that are stainless clad come with any kind of protective coating on them that needs to be cleaned off before use? I doesn't look to have anything to my, no rainbow look.
My SS clad TF's didn't have any obvious coating

If it's carbon with stainless cladding it's possibly lacquered to protect it. If you have some acetone, there's no harm in carefully wiping the blade with it.

051D9663-7146-488A-9940-1C7545575F99.jpeg

Just getting into sharpening. Found this on eBay for not much money. It’s dull as a butter knife, few chips, and point is gone. Should be a good candidate to learn some new skills.

Ken

Used for the first time tonight. I couldn't be happier. Felt perfect in my hand and holy heck, I'd give it an 8 out of 10 out of the box on sharpness. Of course my best reference point thus far is Shun, and I'm simply mind blown how much better this cuts. And to think, this is a starter knife to some of y'alls :D

yowza.jpg

Used for the first time tonight. I couldn't be happier. Felt perfect in my hand and holy heck, I'd give it an 8 out of 10 out of the box on sharpness. Of course my best reference point thus far is Shun, and I'm simply mind blown how much better this cuts. And to think, this is a starter knife to some of y'alls :D

View attachment 49835

OOTB sharpness on Masakage knives is really great, but I wouldn’t expect less from a company whose master mind is a professional sharpener [emoji4].
I got some Yuki series knives in the past and love the two I’m keeping.

So I was getting the urges for a new knife, and decided to look for a petty. Just about bought a Masakage during the February Knifewear sale.

While browsing, I saw the TF Nashiji Petty and decide to check out direct. Way less expensive than I'd expected, so decided to give it a try.

Just came in the mail - 150mm with 36mm at the heel (as I'd requested).
20190308_164429.jpg

So I was getting the urges for a new knife, and decided to look for a petty. Just about bought a Masakage during the February Knifewear sale.

While browsing, I saw the TF Nashiji Petty and decide to check out direct. Way less expensive than I'd expected, so decided to give it a try.

Just came in the mail - 150mm with 36mm at the heel (as I'd requested). View attachment 49864

Excellent decision. This guy (with a wa handle) is the single most used knife in our house.

I really like the finish on those Nashiji knives. Tempted to grab the petty with the wa handle myself.

Just received my Shi Han with custom handle by pcpken.[/QUOTE]

Awesome knife! I just checked out his Instagram page, some gorgeous looking stuff.

So much for my attempts to downsize, but what can I say...I love me some cleavers [emoji23] Watanabe Kintaro-ame W#2 cleaver (227x110 / 447g)

NfjTAoy.jpg

Fn4Nj0r.jpg

5zMgnCh.jpg

DQCP96T.jpg

jyClwYr.jpg
That's awesome looking! I'd love to hear your thoughts after some use, as I'm contemplating a cleaver too...

Back