Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found myself another unicorn! Feast your eyes on this… I got twins 🔪🔪 two Kazuo Doi masterpieces 🔥 a more rare find then the other 15 Keijiro Doi knife if you ask me 😉 @Lurkernomore @pete84 @Elliot tag someone who needs to see this 😉
Good finds. They originally came as three piece sets with a yanagi and I think an Usuba. The individual Kiri boxes were then packed in a huge one. German retailer Horie sold quite a few back in the day as far as I know.

Finally got my hands on an og AS Takeda. And man is it ever ground different from my newer NAS. Can’t deny it, I’m a Takeda fanboy. Probably the only one.
75808C15-473F-4370-AF3C-0970B0AA062D.jpeg

*Still had the freaking lacquer on the bevels*. Can’t wait to sharpen it up like my other one and do a good comparison. Did prep today and it’s significantly smoother through big stuff like daikon. Huge thanks @iggyskier !

Finally got my hands on an og AS Takeda. And man is it ever ground different from my newer NAS. Can’t deny it, I’m a Takeda fanboy. Probably the only one.
View attachment 249338
*Still had the freaking lacquer on the bevels*. Can’t wait to sharpen it up like my other one and do a good comparison. Did prep today and it’s significantly smoother through big stuff like daikon. Huge thanks @iggyskier !
Do you have measurements of the 2 grinds you can share?

Do you have measurements of the 2 grinds you can share?
Don’t have that pinchy measuring tool, but it’s significant.

From just eyeballing, the bevels are a good 2-3mm taller, and the shoulders are much less prominent. There’s less of a hollow on the left side (food side) and more hollow on the release side. The tip is ground much thinner and the bevel doesn’t hold the arrowhead shape as strongly all the way down.

Planning on doing a write up once I sharpen and get the right measuring tool!

Been a while since I shared new purchases, so here’s a partial family photo featuring a couple of the new ones
Is the third from top Kawachi? How do you like it if so?

And what's second from top?

Here they are:

Attachments

• Shige.jpeg
    Shige.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Shige 2.jpeg
    Shige 2.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Shige 3.jpeg
    Shige 3.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Naka.jpeg
    Naka.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Naka 2.jpeg
    Naka 2.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Naka 3.jpeg
    Naka 3.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Ikeda.jpeg
    Ikeda.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Ikeda 2.jpeg
    Ikeda 2.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Ikeda 3.jpeg
    Ikeda 3.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
New(ish) knife day: Yanick Edition

245mm x 58mm 221g 135Cr3 and old stock iron
5.58mm out of the handle down to less than 1mm 1cm from the tip.
African Rosewood with Bog Oak spacer.
Close to goldilocks specs for a midweight, at least for me.

View attachment 249893View attachment 249894View attachment 249897

Also new background day courtesy of @OwlWoodworks. Crazy board.
You got 'Tidal'!?!? That's awesome. Congratulations! I'm honoured to see my work with Yanick's. I hope they both serve you wonderfully for years to come! And I really hope you like the board. I remember being particularly smitten with that one when I was packaging it up so I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home. Makes me happy

Is the third from top Kawachi? How do you like it if so?

And what's second from top?
Yes, Kawachi. I like it a lot! It’s very think behind the edge, which makes it feel a bit brittle, but I think once I sharpen it, it will feel fine.

The one above it is a watanabe

New(ish) knife day: Yanick Edition

245mm x 58mm 221g 135Cr3 and old stock iron
5.58mm out of the handle down to less than 1mm 1cm from the tip.
African Rosewood with Bog Oak spacer.
Close to goldilocks specs for a midweight, at least for me.

View attachment 249893View attachment 249894View attachment 249897

Also new background day courtesy of @OwlWoodworks. Crazy board.
Scrolling and saw that board in the back and thought it looked familiar. Welcome to the club! Love my board and couldn’t imagine using any other one anymore.
Now all I need is a Yanick to match 😂

Merion fulltang small gyuto 212mm x 55mm, 231 g, 1.2562 san mai rough iron, handle blue ambonia with brass pin. Taper out of the handle 3,8mm, middle 2,4mm, 1 cm before tip 0,57mm. Excellent profile. Handle feels very comfortable. Great little knife! It's getting a beautiful patina.

Merion custom number 2, the big boy will also be posted...
IMG_9407.jpg
IMG_9405.jpg
IMG_9411.JPG
IMG_9414.JPG
IMG_9419.JPG
IMG_9420.JPG
IMG_9421.JPG
IMG_9423.JPG
IMG_9428.JPG
IMG_9429.JPG

Back