Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, latest batch from Sugi. I'll post pics tomorrow on the board to show profile, it has a bit less flat spot than my old one.
A little late getting around to it @Molokai Livin' here is the side profile on the 2023 Mazaki 240. Good sized ~flat sweet spot, enough relief that you can flow into push cuts well.

Still getting used to it for onions but I think it's my best big carrot knife. Dead silent going through beefy bois, which was a nice surprise.

20230805_131852.jpg

20230805_131934.jpg

20230805_131942.jpg

I visited his workshop just last week. I just dropped in bc it was an unscheduled decision to go there, but if you want to make sure he is there (or not in the middle of something) at a specific time, or check in advance if he has something specific you want, you can message him on instagram. He is apparently very responsive and happy to chat (and in person he was super lovely). He has limited stock in his workshop at any given time, but he had multiple Suiboku gyutos for example, including at least one Tanaka forged 240 damascus Suiboku.
Super helpful. Thanks!

One week after my WTB post on BST I was able to secure two 240mm BNIB Konos Fujiyama. One FM W1 and one OG Fujiyama. I know Fujiyamas have been getting a lot of hate lately but the OG is definitely special and a keeper. The FM I’m not so sure (it feels very similar to my other Takadas). I might decide to sell this one back.
IMG_7446.jpeg
IMG_7445.jpeg
IMG_7444.jpeg

So about eddworks… handle fit and finish is immaculate, don’t know if I’ve felt a smoother handle. Can’t even slightly feel the pins, perfectly flush. Amazingly comfortable with the balance point just at the start of the makers mark. Well rounded spine and choil. Thick out of the handle then the blade disappears at the tip. Grind appears a bit asymmetrical but I have no qualms with it. Last but not least it looks stunning, be on the lookout for this guy. I have no doubts it’ll be a performer.

View attachment 259004

View attachment 259005

View attachment 259006

View attachment 259007

View attachment 259008

View attachment 259009
Updating this after a ton of produce in case anyone is curious about the maker. Enamored, competes with knives 3x the cost. Almost falls through large onion with no force, horizontal cuts are effortless with the thin front 1/3 of the blade, great food release, drags through layers of peppers with no effort/sticking/moving. Super comfortable and perfect weight. Very mildly reactive taking a slight grey patina so far. Highly recommend.

IMG_1105.jpeg
IMG_1106.jpeg

Things got a little out of hand in July and poor decisions were made, but I got no regrets!
Lt to Rt

Jikko 270 yanagibi w2
Jiro 210 sujihiki #483
Hitohira Togashi wide bevel damascus w1
Takada forged by Nakagawa suminagashi b1
Tadokoro shiro Nakiri w1
Takada Nakiri w3
Shinichi asano 24 mm Kiridashi
Ishido Hideo 18 mm Kiridashi
Kamon 230 mm Blackout K tip Gyuto 1.2519 tungsten steel
Kemadi 220 Gyuto iron clad Damascus bulat core
Tomota higo no kamo

Interesting. The only FM gyuto I had was very light (120g) so was thin convex like a Takada (but Takada is better at that thin in my experience). I expected the heavier ones to have the more typical Myojin grind
The FM is light at 160g and super thin. The Takada is around there too. Both super thin and light. The look and feel is very similar but the F&F is better in the Takada. The size is more generous on the FM. I have a 240mm Tetsujin but that thing weights 215g and it’s a complete different beast.

I need to do some testing but for now these are my early impressions.

That thing is gorgeous. How does she cut?
I've only had a chance to do a really quick test prep but first impressions are good! Really like the ergonomics of the profile and hybrid western handle. Grind is quite nice but the edge needs a touch up so I'll reserve judgement for once I get a chance to refresh it properly.

20230807_154026.jpg

20230807_154032.jpg

20230807_154354.jpg

20230807_154523.jpg

Nigara As 180mm Kiritsuke Nakiri from @TokushuKnife. Those guys are awesome! Answered my questions promptly and with just the info I was looking for. Shipping (free) was super fast too. Ordered Friday afternoon and here less than 72hrs later.

Sorry the pics are a little washed out.

Latest posts

Back