Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300mm lefty yanagiba from @refcast

IMG_4297.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg

Bumped my head and got some brain damage…next thing I know, I’ve been brainwashed by the Denka crowd…picked up from a member here
F/f is average, not atrocious
IMG_2632.jpeg
Chopped some cabbage and cut cone carrots so far. Feels solid but not special…cue torches and pitchforks…gonna have to do a few meals

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 0
Bumped my head and got some brain damage…next thing I know, I’ve been brainwashed by the Denka crowd…picked up from a member here
View attachment 283411Chopped some cabbage and cut cone carrots so far. Feels solid but not special…cue torches and pitchforks…gonna have to do a few meals
Guess we have the same conclusion, they are good but didn’t blow me away, tho few knives did at this point

Guess we have the same conclusion, they are good but didn’t blow me away, tho few knives did at this point
Couldn’t agree more. It’s solid but not amazing, but I need to use it a bit more before making any personal conclusions
I can volunteer that I loved Eddie’s 52100 gyuto from the very beginning, as well as my Mikami

View attachment 283411Chopped some cabbage and cut cone carrots so far. Feels solid but not special…cue torches and pitchforks…gonna have to do a few meals
What a sellout! Tsk tsk

@Benuser finally I got the misono. Received today.
View attachment 283518

View attachment 283519

View attachment 283520

For left handed.

Now searching for a petty. I doubt between 13 and 15 cm. Some advice is welcome.
Congratulations. Much less fat behind the edge than very recent 'normal' ones I've seen. Looks like it has got a good sharpening. About the petty: a good stainless is helpful if your main knife is a carbon one. Shorter petties have a small contact area with the board and require a lot of sharpening. I like a lot this Sab in Sandvik's 14C28N.
https://www.sabatier-k.com/tranchelard-18-cm-serie-200-manche-en-g10.html

Congratulations. Much less fat behind the edge than very recent 'normal' ones I've seen. Looks like it has got a good sharpening. About the petty: a good stainless is helpful if your main knife is a carbon one. Shorter petties have a small contact area with the board and require a lot of sharpening. I like a lot this Sab in Sandvik's 14C28N.
https://www.sabatier-k.com/tranchelard-18-cm-serie-200-manche-en-g10.html
Yes, this knife is thinner behind the edge than the normal version shown on pics. I have even thought 'maybe they have modified a right handed version instead of purchasing a left handed version from factory'.
I have some gyutos with a length os 18 cm, this is why I want a shorter knife. My ideas is something like this Takamura:
https://www.meesterslijpers.nl/en/takamura-vg-10-tsuchime-petty-13-cm
But I read recommendations to take R2 over VG10.

tanaka special from maxim arrived today! definitely can’t wait to take it for a test drive.
Rvvkz6b.jpg
qc522BM.jpg
fD9dlZ3.jpg

Looks like a lot more core steel is exposed on one side vs the other. Any concerns to be had around this? I suppose when the time comes I will just try to thin more from one side?

I would thin normally so as not to upset the geometry.

Just received this little santoku from Maksim. Love it so much haha I don’t normally post knife pictures as I’m too lazy to take them…but there you go.

Also, I know some people have been having issues with Maksim’s Kato prices lately. While this one is not exactly cheap, I’m glad I can still get a Shig BNIB for $423 with express shipping to the US.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg