Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikami double bevel yanagibi
NOS forged by Masayuki finished by his son Sadanao- the sword smith
At a Sakai 210 mm, it’s the longest Mikami I’ve seen

View attachment 300866View attachment 300867View attachment 300868View attachment 300869View attachment 300870
It’s pretty rustic and I suspect it’s been sitting in a warehouse for some time - there is some minor pitting
Michael says he found it in Chiyoda
Super happy to find this- probably the closest thing to a gyuto ima find from mikami
Thanks for looking
Lucky you!

Nigara Hamono B2 Rainbow Damascus 450mm Sakimaru xNaohito Myojin
FB_IMG_1708192435780.jpg
that choil...
20240216_161137.jpg

Bernal Cutlery's Greenfield Gyuto in AEBL landed today. Quite a stunning knife. I like the vintage look and feel.

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_194855360.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240217_194855360.MP.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240217_194531528.jpg
    PXL_20240217_194531528.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240217_194504927.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240217_194504927.MP.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 0
The long awaited coreless dammy Spåre cleaver. The process was a mess for me as for many, but hopefully increasing his prices and reducing the custom list will fix that for everyone. In the meantime, nothing bad can be said about this. The Damascus is stunning, it came with a decent edge, it’s beautifully thin. I requested he make it an onion slayer and he delivered. The handle is Karelian birch as we discussed and it’s nicely tapered both ways, complete with a fun finger choil. I wish the forge finish was a little lighter to show off that amazing dammy, but I think it fits some folks aesthetics so I have no major issues with that. It’s a beautiful knife, worth far more than he charged for it and I’m happy to see him now charging more, and wishing him great success moving forward

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpeg
    IMG_5724.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5723.jpeg
    IMG_5723.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5722.jpeg
    IMG_5722.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have the 240mm JCK Natures Gekko Series Gyuto. It is astonishing the difference between this Gyuto, and the Chinese Paudin Gyuto I have. The Paudin is clunky and drags terribly when slicing raw meat, It has a razor-sharp edge but you would never know it. If I still had a polishing wheel and some Chrome rouge I could polish the blade. On the other hand, the JCK Gyuto is a delight. In the past, I have not been a fan of Tsuchime blades. Now I realize the blade has to have a good finish for them the work like they should.
IMG_8907.jpeg

The long awaited coreless dammy Spåre cleaver. The process was a mess for me as for many, but hopefully increasing his prices and reducing the custom list will fix that for everyone. In the meantime, nothing bad can be said about this. The Damascus is stunning, it came with a decent edge, it’s beautifully thin. I requested he make it an onion slayer and he delivered. The handle is Karelian birch as we discussed and it’s nicely tapered both ways, complete with a fun finger choil. I wish the forge finish was a little lighter to show off that amazing dammy, but I think it fits some folks aesthetics so I have no major issues with that. It’s a beautiful knife, worth far more than he charged for it and I’m happy to see him now charging more, and wishing him great success moving forward
Looks like masur birch at least from what I see

Mikami double bevel yanagibi
NOS forged by Masayuki finished by his son Sadanao- the sword smith
At a Sakai 210 mm, it’s the longest Mikami I’ve seen

View attachment 300866View attachment 300867View attachment 300868View attachment 300869View attachment 300870
It’s pretty rustic and I suspect it’s been sitting in a warehouse for some time - there is some minor pitting
Michael says he found it in Chiyoda
Super happy to find this- probably the closest thing to a gyuto ima find from mikami
Thanks for looking
Its' smaller sibling just arrived on my door step - what a beauty. I asked Michael a while back if there were gyuto's - he said he had seen a picture of one Once. So there is one, somewhere.....

Its' smaller sibling just arrived on my door step - what a beauty. I asked Michael a while back if there were gyuto's - he said he had seen a picture of one Once. So there is one, somewhere.....
I’ve asked as well…I’m not sure where he’s finding them
Checking his website is kinda like Xmas morning…never know what cool things are under the tree

Lucid absolutely knocked this custom out of the park. Gidgee mono handle, wrought over sheffcut, 235x55.5, 4.6mm above the heel, 2.5mm mid spine, 1.2mm inch before tip, 0.75mm at one cm from tip. Suffered a maybe 1mm tip bend in transit or at customs, thinking just grind it down with a high grit stone? It's so minor I don't think it's worth bending back.

View attachment 300582

View attachment 300583

View attachment 300584
Don't forget the choil shot!!!

Decided it was time to join the Cult Church of TF. Took about 3 1/2 months to arrive ordered direct. Requested it to be thin behind the edge, not sure how they take that sort of request because I'd call it average. Maybe I should have asked for extra thin. Cuts well, not spectacular, feels solid and I like the profile with low tip and gentle continuous curve. Handle is decent, no huge gaps, but I wish it was thicker to fill the hand a bit more. Minimal easing of the choil, surprisingly no easing of the spine. Even knowing what to expect, the finishing is underwhelming for the price, but I guess that's half the charm.

TF Denka 210mm Gyuto
211mm edge x 50mm tall
2.5mm > 2.0mm > 1.3mm (heel, mid, ~1cm from tip)
182g, balances right at the last kanji near the choil.
.23mm @ 1mm behind the edge, mid blade
Left side blade road is flat, right side is slightly convex. Wasn't sure what to expect since some Denka choil shots look dead flat, some look concave.

1X0A2151.JPG

1X0A2152.JPG

1X0A2164.JPG

Nothing fancy..... Picked it up for a friend wanting a cheap upgradeable. $30 on flea bay is a win. I put a new edge on it, overall it's not too shabby. Needs a light thinning but it breezed through an apple quickly

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_013720454~2.jpg
    PXL_20240222_013720454~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Decided it was time to join the Cult Church of TF. Took about 3 1/2 months to arrive ordered direct. Requested it to be thin behind the edge, not sure how they take that sort of request because I'd call it average. Maybe I should have asked for extra thin. Cuts well, not spectacular, feels solid and I like the profile with low tip and gentle continuous curve. Handle is decent, no huge gaps, but I wish it was thicker to fill the hand a bit more. Minimal easing of the choil, surprisingly no easing of the spine. Even knowing what to expect, the finishing is underwhelming for the price, but I guess that's half the charm.

TF Denka 210mm Gyuto
211mm edge x 50mm tall
Left side blade road is flat, right side is slightly convex. Wasn't sure what to expect since some Denka choil shots look dead flat, some look concave.

View attachment 302330
View attachment 302331
View attachment 302332
I understand that the grind is underwhelming as that’s often the case but that profile is pretty elite for TF. Profile hunting is the hardest part for me, looks like fun.

It may be underwhelming now but wait until you see what kind of edge it takes when you put on the stones and how infrequently you have to sharpen it.

TF Denka 210mm Gyuto
211mm edge x 50mm tall

Arrived today and couldn't resist to try it out immediately. I've bought many knives lately, some of them very good but didn't feel to post until today.
Many of you guys speak so well about Birgersson's knives and my expectations where very high. Those expectations where surpassed in every single way.
The finish is absolutely stellar, those light hammer marks you can see and feel like for example on a Toyama, spine and choil perfectly rounded and polished without overdoing it. I'm a sucker for masur birch so that's a bonus too 😅.
About the performance I'm speechless. Besides an insane ootb edge (seen only on the best Yoshi's or Shibata's in my experience), that grind ghosts through every veggie I throw at it.
PXL_20240222_171958210~2.jpg
PXL_20240222_172023776~2.jpg
PXL_20240222_172109403~2.jpg

Back