Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an absolute heater here. I don't name knives or anything, but when I first opened this one up I'm like...this is the dark knight lol. My first from Evan.

135CR3 honyaki with such a crazy hamon and the most insane banding ever.
225x62
Super chonk 287g
4.7mm spine but gets real thin behind the edge
African blackwood and mother of pearl handle

View attachment 236109
View attachment 236110
View attachment 236111
View attachment 236112
View attachment 236113

was this posted on one of his stories?
🔥🔥🔥🔥

The most recent full tang honyaki 250x60 was 860 Euro, with 50 Euro shipping to US. That works out to about $1,000.50 USD. Then customs got me for another $93.75, so all told about $1,094.25.
These knives seems great.
The prices are high.
Probably they worth it, but it's too much for me

Speaking of french smiths. Milan Gravier 135Cr3 clean wrought-iron clad gyuto. Handle is his hexagonal shape in Padduk with a hammered dark stainless steel bolster. 248 x 61mm 258g.

IMG_7921.jpg
IMG_7923.jpg
IMG_7905.jpg
IMG_7917.jpg
IMG_7908.jpg
IMG_7936.jpg
IMG_7939.jpg
IMG_8005.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg

IMG_8013 2.jpg

wow, grind looks great. please let us know how it performs, I'm curious to try the makers from KnifeJapan, Unshu Yukimitsu specially
So I've used Unshu Yukimitsu a bunch the past couple days/big Easter cooking and I cannot recommend it enough. Absolute veggie monster, falls through onions like a laser and that thin k-tip makes it really fun with shallots. No stiction, food just stays on the board, same with potatoes they just sit pretty on the board after cutting. It's pretty flat so excels at push cuts/chops, bites in to my board too much to feel comfortable rock chopping with it. Killer grind, I'm so happy with it.

So I've used Unshu Yukimitsu a bunch the past couple days/big Easter cooking and I cannot recommend it enough. Absolute veggie monster, falls through onions like a laser and that thin k-tip makes it really fun with shallots. No stiction, food just stays on the board, same with potatoes they just sit pretty on the board after cutting. It's pretty flat so excels at push cuts/chops, bites in to my board too much to feel comfortable rock chopping with it. Killer grind, I'm so happy with it.
Glad to hear, the grind does look excellent from your pics.

I asked Michael about his knives and he replied today saying Kusunoki is snowed under with orders after a recent nationally broadcast NHK doc about them, so any order should take an extra while.

I asked Michael about his knives and he replied today saying Kusunoki is snowed under with orders after a recent nationally broadcast NHK doc about them, so any order should take an extra while.
Glad he got the recognition he deserve not just from us knife nerds, its probably gonna be hard to get his stuff now.

Also kind funny, his grind is actually close to Birgersson‘s than other Japanese makers to me.

Ah that's a bummer. I'd say it's worth placing an order and just getting a surprise at some point, instantly became one of my best knives, though it's too soon to speak to the edge retention/longevity or how it sharpens. Excellent out of box edge, I haven't touched it up at all.

@blokey @SwampDonkey yeah I'm glad for him as well, certainly the recognition is well deserved.

BTW what he meant by the longer than usual wait time is "a few months", vs. the usual 4-6 weeks. Totally reasonable IMO. I'll order something for sure, just not sure yet exactly what knife.

(With the exception of his petty knife, which was featured in the documentary and has a 18 month waitlist.)

@blokey @SwampDonkey yeah I'm glad for him as well, certainly the recognition is well deserved.

BTW what he meant by the longer than usual wait time is "a few months", vs. the usual 4-6 weeks. Totally reasonable IMO. I'll order something for sure, just not sure yet exactly what knife.

(With the exception of his petty knife, which was featured in the documentary and has a 18 month waitlist.)
The single bevel one? I ordered one 2 months ago and should arrive next week.

Glad he got the recognition he deserve not just from us knife nerds, its probably gonna be hard to get his stuff now.

Also kind funny, his grind is actually close to Birgersson‘s than other Japanese makers to me.
So does this mean I have to buy a Bigersson now?

His knives are great, hard hard steel and thin grind. Tho it’s a personal choice ultimately, we all have more than enough knives to do everything in kitchen lol
Sounds up my alley. I need to sell some knives first, I'm out of room on all my racks and starting to overcrowd them where I look like a hoarder 😭

Recently snagged up a few pieces to round out what I have. These were the quickest to arrive in amazing condition.

Yanick 242mm
Halcyon 243mm Diamond Wide Bevel

2E26CC38-0738-4F7C-BD1F-615935F3E1D1.jpeg

F5E2F10A-8D90-4628-A483-2E9B7D994825.jpeg

3E721C98-271B-43AD-8FDF-8C46C36B042E.jpeg

Guest appearance with my other Yanick 254mm

E0AE9EC5-44EC-43FD-85A8-B09FD20EDE27.jpeg

More on the way and probably 2 or 3 out soon. Can't wait to take a group shot when they're all here.

New knife day is clearly the best day. Really want to fail A1A so I can use it but sadly still gotta wait for 20 days.
Shi Han 125mm A2 ktip petty. Damn the tip is really really thin. And it's very faint but some banding can be seen (I think it's banding but not an expert and it's really hard to capture).
IMG_20230411_120025.jpg
IMG_20230411_120034.jpg
IMG_20230411_111820.jpg
IMG_20230411_113846.jpg
IMG_20230411_111701.jpg
IMG_20230411_111741.jpg
Screenshot_20230411_120950_com.huawei.photos.jpg

Back