Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New knife day is clearly the best day. Really want to fail A1A so I can use it but sadly still gotta wait for 20 days.
Shi Han 125mm A2 ktip petty. Damn the tip is really really thin. And it's very faint but some banding can be seen (I think it's banding but not an expert and it's really hard to capture).View attachment 236811View attachment 236812View attachment 236813View attachment 236814View attachment 236815View attachment 236816View attachment 236817
Banding for days!

That is a really cool little knife. Love it

Ah that's a bummer. I'd say it's worth placing an order and just getting a surprise at some point, instantly became one of my best knives, though it's too soon to speak to the edge retention/longevity or how it sharpens. Excellent out of box edge, I haven't touched it up at all.
Pretty much the best HT on Shirogami anywhere.

Wasn't in the market but got a great deal on one of these guys and I was too weak to pass it up as is tradition.

It's dama 2 days in a row for me, komorebi 240 dama, and it's a thin boi. After trying to clean it up a bit more, pretty sure I am going to give away my 210 kasumi. Stay tuned and check the giveaway section in a couple days maybe,

komorebi.jpg

komorebichoil.jpg

Do you know who the smith is on that Kagekiyo?
This one is Y. Tanaka, can tell by the cladding (and multiple retailers in fact explicity say for example: Kagekiyo Yoshikazu Tanaka B1 Damascus 210 mm Gyuto - Blade Only). There are a few nakagawa, mainly the ginsan, but the white 1 and 2, and blue 1 is Tanaka pretty much. There is actually one blue 1 dama which is nakagawa actually, you can tell by his signature looking damascus cladding this is the only one released I've seen though: Japanese Chef Wagyuto Knife - KAGEKIYO - Damascus Carbon Blue Steel...

This one is Y. Tanaka, can tell by the cladding (and multiple retailers in fact explicity say for example: Kagekiyo Yoshikazu Tanaka B1 Damascus 210 mm Gyuto - Blade Only). There are a few nakagawa, mainly the ginsan, but the white 1 and 2, and blue 1 is Tanaka pretty much. There is actually one blue 1 dama which is nakagawa actually, you can tell by his signature looking damascus cladding this is the only one released I've seen though: Japanese Chef Wagyuto Knife - KAGEKIYO - Damascus Carbon Blue Steel...
Ah ok, thank you for the info. I bought one from Miura a while back (B1 dama too), but they didn't list the smith info on their page, so this is good to know. Looks like mine is Tanaka too.

731F13ED-C577-493B-AFB1-933A0417EC8F.jpeg

The gyuto in the middle got a new handle so it was time for a family picture of my Nakagawa/Morihiro hamono knives. The 255 mm blue 2 kiritsuke gyuto on the right was the reason to get the other two, such an incredible cutter, super thin behind the edge. The 240 mm blue 1 isn’t as thin but haven’t put it on the stones yet, looking forward to seeing how the two compare.
5AB8E4B4-8A44-4BF6-962F-C187FAD8B80B.jpeg

This is my recently received Fujiwara Maboroshi 180mm gyuto with a regrind from District Cutlery. This little guy is unstoppable on the cutting board, between its newfound thinness and the heft of the western handle.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7094.jpg
    IMG_7094.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7095.jpg
    IMG_7095.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I've never tried a nakiri with the balance that close to the handle... how does it feel in use?
I’m not sure. I’m normally a wa guy and forward balance preferably but this is pretty comfortable. Should be fun to switch it up a little

Edit:

Just got to use it. Super fun and cuts very nicely. I thought I wouldn’t like the whole massively thick full tang but its quite nice. The pinch grip falls naturally just where the handle ends so the grip is quite secure.

Push cuts, drag cuts, and chops are really nice. Very thin BTE so you actually don’t need too much forward weight.

I like

Last edited:
I’m not sure. I’m normally a wa guy and forward balance preferably but this is pretty comfortable. Should be fun to switch it up a little

Edit:

Just got to use it. Super fun and cuts very nicely. I thought I wouldn’t like the whole massively thick full tang but its quite nice. The pinch grip falls naturally just where the handle ends so the grip is quite secure.

Push cuts, drag cuts, and chops are really nice. Very thin BTE so you actually don’t need too much forward weight.

I like
nice!

I have the same preference for wa handles and forward balance but sometimes a yo handled knife surprises me. I remember a Tansu yo-gyuto with Sabatier profile and 280g. the yo handle made that weight super comfortable and the grind was so good that it fell through stuff anyway

It's been a while since I posted anything here (nor bought any new knives). So I guess I compensated with these:

_AKA0074.jpg

250mm Raquin on top added for size reference.

The one on the bottom was made around 1950 in Russia and is traditional chefs knife with variable geometry. Stupidly thick around heel and about 1/3 of length and then thin and nimble in the rest 2/3 of length. Weight over 500g and really need some TLC.

_AKA0076.jpg
Reportedly it hasn't been used. Almost as dull as my jokes. Not usable in its current state and I'll need to cleanup the grind it and make new handle.

Next is a modern take on the same geometry done by a Ukranian knife maker Vladimir (I don't have any contacts unfortunately). Made out of simple carbon steel. Thin and flexible tip. Feels like a kitchen weapon. I'm not a fan a large knives. In fact I use 130-150mm knives most of the time, but this has some magic vibes.
_AKA0077.jpg

_AKA0078.jpg

It's been a while since I posted anything here (nor bought any new knives). So I guess I compensated with these:

View attachment 237234

The one on the bottom was made around 1950 in Russia and is traditional chefs knife with variable geometry. Stupidly thick around heel and about 1/3 of length and then thin and nimble in the rest 2/3 of length. Weight over 500g and really need some TLC.

View attachment 237235Reportedly it hasn't been used. Almost as dull as my jokes. Not usable in its current state and I'll need to cleanup the grind it and make new handle.

Next is a modern take on the same geometry done by a Ukranian knife maker Vladimir (I don't have any contacts unfortunately). Made out of simple carbon steel. Thin and flexible tip. Feels like a kitchen weapon. I'm not a fan a large knives. In fact I use 130-150mm knives most of the time, but this has some magic vibes.
View attachment 237236
View attachment 237237

That's crazy! Very cool. Those look like knives @stringer would design. :)

View attachment 237234

View attachment 237235Reportedly it hasn't been used. Almost as dull as my jokes. Not usable in its current state and I'll need to cleanup the grind it and make new handle.

View attachment 237236
View attachment 237237
wow, very interesting

View attachment 237234

View attachment 237236
View attachment 237237
Thank you for sharing, it is very cool to see this antique knife and it’s modern interpretation. Markin made me a modern version of this knife as well - about the same specs to 300 mm 400~ grams. I love it

DB8B5C61-875E-483A-8CC7-EC5282EADA92.jpeg

Thank you for sharing, it is very cool to see this antique knife and it’s modern interpretation. Markin made me a modern version of this knife as well - about the same specs to 300 mm 400~ grams. I love it

View attachment 237247
I remember seeing Markin post a video of this knife a while back and I thought “I’m 99% sure only a KKF person would ask for these specs”. Looks awesome!

View attachment 237234

View attachment 237236
View attachment 237237
Very cool and fascinating to see tapered tang on both, even on the older example of a traditional knife. Such construction is usually at a premium these days. The geometry is also very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I hereby christen this knife "Chonky McChonkFace"

Evan Antzenberger 250mm x 60mm Workhorse.
318g of pure produce plowing perfection.
Gidgee and mother of pearl western handle.

Aggressively blade forward balance.

View attachment 237089View attachment 237091View attachment 237092View attachment 237093
Absolutely and utterly jaw dropping piece. That thing is the beauty and the beast wrapped into one for sure! Need to start putting money aside for an Evan. His stuff seems right up my alley

View attachment 237234

View attachment 237236
View attachment 237237
Love those, I can definitely see where Andrei got his Tsarist Russian chef knife evolved from, want one really bad.

Back